Lists and Recommendations : Recommend Older Films with Uplifting Tone and/or Good Drama

Recommend Older Films with Uplifting Tone and/or Good Drama

I have never been a fan before of older, classical films(pre-80's) but then again, I might never have had the patience as a young person for those types of movies. I'm trying to get into them now but I don't really know where to start. I've watched The Parent Trap(1961), Pollyanna(1960), and The Trouble With Angels(1966), because my mother liked Hayley Mills growing up and suggested them to me. I really like these films and the light-hearted tone of them. That sort of wholesome bit too.

Any suggestions for older films that are similar or that you think are particularly good drama and action? I don't care about year so much and they don't have to have young leads. I just don't know where to begin.

Re: Recommend Older Films with Uplifting Tone and/or Good Drama

As an aficionado , why not go back to the dawn of movie ? I went through a faze for many years of watching just black and white , from when the first movies were made , through to sound and color ? Someone involved with media suggested that to me , and eventually intrigued me , but not many that I knew were interested in that at all .

Or you can start with the first sound & color movies , roughly around 1926/27 . Some of those early color movies have great acting and drama , and have a lot of optimism in them as well . You have probably heard of famous movies like The The Jazz Singer (1927) , Wizard of Oz (1939) etc . So there's really lots to intrigue in the world of film and movie . It's really up to you , what era you would want to explore !

The ultimate feelgood film, older, uplifting, hugely enjoyable, with an outstanding performance by James Stewart: Harvey (1950)

Also good fun and easy to watch:

The Quiet Man (1952) - yes, it's John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the lead, but no, it's not a Western, it's the ultimate Irish rom com.
Alexis Zorbas (1964)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Roman Holiday (1953)
How to Steal a Million (1966)
Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944)
Holiday (1938)
The Bad News Bears (1976)

If you haven't already seen them:
The Sound of Music (1965)
Mary Poppins (1964)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

tim

Harold and Maude ???? Great film no doubt but ???

I second the recommendation for Harvey and Roman Holiday.

There are an infinite number of wonderful films waiting for you, but as I'm on my phone, I'll link just one Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

The Parent Trap and Pollyanna where both Disney movies, and all the pre-80's live action Disney movies have a similar tone.

Some of the more worthwhile would include:
Mary Poppins <– highly recommended if you haven't seen it.
The Love Bug
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Escape to Witch Mountain

I've also been looking for a cheap copy of another old Disney move, Snowball Express, lately because I used to love it, but I'll hold off on recommending it outright because I don't remember it very well, and maybe it isn't as good as I thought as kid.

Hearts of The West /1975/ Howard Zieff
The Sting /1973/ George Roy Hill
Paper Moon /1973/ Peter Bogdonovich
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming /1966/ Norman Jewison
Flight of The Phoenix /1965/ Robert Aldrich
The Miracle Worker /1962/ Arthur Penn
North By Northwest /1959/ Alfred Hitchcock
Some Like it Hot /1959/ Billy Wilder
The Court Jester /1956/ Melvin Frank
The African Queen /1951/ John Huston
Harvey /1950/ Henry Koster
It Happened on Fifth Avenue /1947/ Roy Del Ruth
Its A Wonderful Life /1946/ Frank Capra
Palm Beach Story /1942/ Preston Sturges
Casablanca /1942/ Michael Curtiz
Ball of Fire /1941/ Howard Hawks
Shop Around The Corner /1940/ Ernst Lubitsch
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington /1939/ Frank Capra
Captains Courageous /1937/ Victor Flemming
City Lights /1931/ Charlie Chaplin
Safety Last /1923/ Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor
The Kid /1921/ Charlie Chaplin

Casablanca

Since its 2 years past who knows if you're even still around but this is what you NEED! "All about Eve", it stars the one and only Ms. Bette Davis so of course its wonderful! Hope this helps

Since its 2 years past who knows if you're even still around but this is what you NEED! "All about Eve", it stars the one and only Ms. Bette Davis so of course its wonderful! Hope this helps