The End of the Tour : Am I the only one who doesn't get the love for Segal's performance?

Am I the only one who doesn't get the love for Segal's performance?

Or rather, the amount of love for Segal's performance. Seriously, as far as Jason Segal's work goes, yeah, it was a masterstroke. But when you compare it to the work of other highly respected actors or even just the work of his co-star, it really wasn't all that much to write home about. If talking in a monotonous voice and giving empty smiles with a faraway look in your eyes ad nauseum is worthy of the level of praise Segal got, then I myself might try my hand at this acting lark.

I'm not knocking on the performance itself, you understand, just the unwarranted level of hype that followed on from it. It seemed to me like the dialogue did most of the work for Segal, and not the other way around. I actually felt Eisenberg gave the far stronger performance of the two. It was subtle, nuanced, human and realistic - the perfect counterpart to a somewhat flanderised, idealised cartoon version of DFW that so many of his fans seem to want to buy into.

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't get the love for Segal's performance?

I don't think Jason Segal was horrible here, but I didn't see the chemistry his character describes with Jesse Eisenberg as the interviewer. This is an underwhelming look at two lost souls who the script wan't us to believe formed a unique bond, but I just didn't buy it. 6/10 stars from me.

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't get the love for Segal's performance?

i can't tell you how angry i was when he told Eisenberg "be a good guy"

when he did that i just wanted to *beep* punch him

my blood was boiling

later on when he told him "I said i got it" in the taxi

my blood got even hotter