The End of the Tour : Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest

Why isn't this a movie yet?

Re: Infinite Jest

I'm on page 100. 900+ more to go. It's engrossing.
If I had to hazard a guess.... I know that he had a wife when he eventually killed himself (I want to write a joke here, but I won't to honor his memory). I don't know if she controls his estate or his parents.
My guess is that a lot of the control is with his parents. And as he said in the movie, they are "very private people" who don't won't to bother with such a thing. In the same vein, Salinger, the most private of people, never wanted anyone to make a "Catcher in the Rye" movie even though he loved movies.

It wouldn't be an easy book to adapt, to say the least, and a faithful adaptation may not have much appeal to anyone other than readers of David Foster Wallace.

John Krasinki's adaptation of 'Brief Interviews with Hideous Men' came and went in 2009 to little fanfare; and The End of the Tour was released last year but didn't get a wide release or receive much awards recognition. An adaptation of Infinite Jest may get more attention on account of its boldness but it's not exactly a juicy prospect for studio heads.

I really thought Jason Segel should have been nominated for Best Actor. But whatever, The Oscars are a Hollywood circle jerk. It was practically a given that Leo would win for The Revenant after being snubbed so many times.

I never got my hopes up about Segel being nominated. The film wasn't released in the Oscar season, it had a limited release (and no international one), and it didn't make big waves. I agree that he was awards-worthy though.

Look up Atlas Shrugged on IMDB and you'll see why this isn't a movie. Complex novels, especially encyclopedic ones, are very difficult to translate to film. Notable exceptions exist, but I can't even imagine trying to take on this book. You'd have to have a whole other movie just for the footnotes!