The End of the Tour : Jesse Eisenberg has no range whatsoever

Jesse Eisenberg has no range whatsoever

Terrible

Re: Jesse Eisenberg has no range whatsoever

I agree completely. Especially the way he decides to play a character. I'm sure in his mind it is a brilliant mannerism he attaches but in reality it is simply Jesse Eisenberg doing something else obnoxious. Such as in this movie with his anxious/neurotic laugh. He did it constantly and I am sure he thought it "matched up with the character" when in reality it was just Jesse Eisenberg doing a really obnoxious laugh the whole time with no range. Jason Segel was great though in my opinion.

that giggle was really awkward.

I don't see it that way. He's a naturalistic actor who captures the subtle differences between characters. He doesn't broadcast character traits or amplify them; he shows them exactly as they are. People in real life tend to differ in their mannerisms very slightly, unless they have specific traits like a strong accent, and we pick up on their personalities through these tiny cues. That's what an actor like Eisenberg tries to present.
Some people may prefer a more classic style of acting that exaggerates the character's personality a bit, and there's nothing wrong with that approach; but for the type of acting he does, Eisenberg is very good.

It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

By naturalistic do you mean carrying the same personality into every character and movie he plays? Why did you italicize subtle? He is awful. People differ in mannerisms very slightly? Uh, what? Have you ever met human beings? Eisenberg is not very good, he is shoved down our throats and picked as the "it" guy when he isn't very talented.

This guy wrote the most civil, respectable comment ever about how Jesse Eisenberg is just a different type of actor using a different method and you just bulldozed any logic with an incompetent statement that basically translates to "ur stupid and he sux". You have the right to an opinion on him but screaming and posting everywhere that he "sux" is so unjust. He has a different acting style, maybe one that doesnt even *gasp* suit your taste!!! Wow, interesting how everything that happens in the world doesnt, shouldn't, and never will please you. Grow up and quit criticizing a professional about his job that you know nothing about

He has limited range. But he doesn't have no range, and sometimes his limitations are actually perfect for some characters he plays. His work in The Social Network and Night Moves are awesome.

Don't promise tomorrow, it's not yours to give.

Right, his range is limited but what he CAN do, he does pretty effectively. I mean, if you need an actor to play a neurotic, nerdy, slightly-uppity intellectual type, then Eisenberg is your man.

^ Yup.
just as I believe that Natalie Portman was perfect for "Black Swan" and almost nothing else because the character probably matches a lot about her personality anyway

He honestly ruined the movie for me, which was a shame because Segal was very good.

facherz^

I loved Segel in this. Wonderfully done ~

Eisenberg's character seemed to be quite the jerk.

I don't know if that is how Lipsky really is or if that was just Eisenberg's interpretation.

Either way, I didn't like that character ~

And Eisenberg's fake smoking was way too obvious ~ that's poor acting, IMHO.

"Much communication in a motion, without conversation or a notion"

And he should act like he was driving. He barely looks like he was driving when he was acting.

I totally agree with you about the first driving scene where he probably looked at the road for a total of one and a half seconds. This is such a pet peeve of mine in movies when the driving scenes aren't real. But regarding his performance, and previous comments in this thread, the director and Jason Segel both were quite impressed with his acting abilities and the subtle emotional changes that registered on his face during certain key scenes, and I have to agree. He may be typecast all the time but that doesn't mean he can't act.

I haven't seen it yet but I already know his performance. That's too bad.

Jesse Eisenberg is similar in different roles but he has the ability to play different types of characters and be believable. In every emotional beat in the film he's belivable. There are actors who are chameleons and there are actors who are great. Eisenberg is not a chameleon but he is a great actor.

He's good at what he does. He doesn't have much range in the variation of character department, but there are a lot of well known actors who fit this description.

I found Eisenberg unnecessarily bland here, even for a character who intentionally tries to stay out of the spotlight. Jason Segel does a decent job, but he seemed to be talking to a wall much of the time.

maybe Eisenberg being deliberately bland was the only way to make DFW look fascinating

If that was the case, I'm not sure it was successful.