The End of the Tour : "In a very meaningful way, you're going to die."

"In a very meaningful way, you're going to die."

I for one am very excited about virtual reality becoming a reality but his opinion on the matter struck a worrisome chord with me and I think he's very right.

I look forward to our advancements in technology but I can't help but be worried on how it will effect humanity during the launch of commercial virtual reality and for the generations to come especially.

Re: 'In a very meaningful way, you're going to die.'

I agree. We are growing farther apart from each other as our worlds become increasingly virtual. I say this as someone who loves what technology has enabled us to do, but I, too, worry about the ramifications.

Re: 'In a very meaningful way, you're going to die.'

As much good as the Internet does, it has ruined us as human beings. I'm 27 and I long for my days as a kid/preteen in the 90s. Even then when the Internet was becoming a thing, it was cute, convenient and cool rather than all-encompassing. I actually wrote down the entire quote said by Segal during this scene because it struck me so.

Re: "In a very meaningful way, you're going to die."

He knew what was going on and he saw the future coming full speed. I too feel worried about these things, but I cannot allow myself to focus too much on the negative side-effects of today's society because it's a black hole that drowns out the light.
I found the film to be both necessarily heartbreaking and excruciatingly life-affirming.
David Foster Wallace was so acutely aware and self-conscious that it hurts to feel about.