The End of the Tour : What was the point of the mid-credits scene?

What was the point of the mid-credits scene?

What purpose did it serve? Did the director just really like that take and couldn't find a spot for it anywhere else in the movie? Because that's what it felt like.

Re: What was the point of the mid-credits scene?

My assumption would be that the movie deals largely with how to be genuine inside the confines of the artificial social situation of an interview (or being a superstar writer), and this is the only moment DFW is without Lipsky. What he chooses to do is be a dude that is smoking when he said he wouldn't be smoking, while his dog chills out behind him. He's not the voice of a generation. He's just....sitting there. He's a dude.

There were several scenes in the movie that were parallels to or "the other side of" earlier scenes.

For example, as Lipsky is leaving his New York apartment, he stands in front of a bookshelf where there are four or five copies of Lipsky's own novel on the shelf. He hesitates before finally deciding to take one of these copies with him to give to Wallace, and the implication is that his hesitation comes from both the fear that giving his novel to Wallace will seem pretentious or inappropriate AND from the fact that Lipksy probably only got a very few free copies of his own book from the publisher, and he clearly doesn't have many left.
A little later in the movie, Wallace convinces Lipsky to spend the night in his guest bedroom instead of at the motel down the road, and when Wallace switches the light on, we see that Wallace's guest room is filled with stacks and stacks of copies of Wallace's books. Nothing ever gets said about this, but I instantly thought back to the contrast of the pitiful sight of Lipsky's measly four or five books on his shelf back in New York.

The mid-credits scene, to me, was a similar parallel or flip-side scene. When Lipsky tries the chewing tobacco, the first time we saw that scene the camera followed Lipsky into the bathroom and we saw what he did in there but not what Wallace was doing during that moment. So then, during the credits, we revisit that little moment from Wallace's point of view instead of Lipsky's.

So that's the purpose it served for me.

Thomasina... this flashback scene to when wallace talks into the recorder maybe is also showing the idea that Wallace has the motive of living in the moment and just living (being a dude) and When Lipsky is alone he records and tries to create a story out of the real things in Wallaces life... the contrast that Wallace is real and Lipsky is trying to create a story out of things that might not end up being real.

And when he gets the shoe in the mail it could be a reminder he just needs a shoe (the practicality of it) and note that says something along the line of this must be yours. He takes the time to send him a simple shoe, that is real life. It is not convenient in Wallace's world to loose a shoe, it is bad. In Lipsky's world he would probably just buy new shoes. Assuming we read the movie this way (Wallace does not want to give up his car, because his car is his friend) So we can also see that Wallace see's the shoe as Lipsky's shoe, its HIS shoe and no one elses... as Wallace has a large theme of things being HIS own, he puts himself in his work, its all about things in your life being YOU.

Its like having a dog, its your dog you shouldn't throw it away, take responsibility for you dog... as wallace was a proponent of rescuing dogs and having patience with dogs who have come from difficult situations. And talked about opening a dog rescue shelter.

You guys crack me up... I love how you feel the need to even ask this question and I especially like how you got all these long, over-thought responses LOL.

Some things simply do not require an explanation. This scene, for example.

Yes, we could be moaning about the age of the cars in the airport parking lot. Its just so, so important on a cosmic level. The world could spin out of orbit.

I don't know everything. Neither does anyone else

The conversations in the movie are based on those recordings. I assumed that the real D.F.W. said that and the makers didn't want to omit any recordings. Why was it placed during the credits? Because the recording itself isn't relevant to the interview. I remember seeing another true story movie (I can't remember the title) where the end credits roll while a recorder plays real audios.