The End of the Tour : the final scene

the final scene

pretty much ruined the film, and it was on pretty shaky ground before that.

the idea that he went to church to dance is ludicrous. now, you could say that everyone knows what he really went to churches for, but i've literally read reviews, here in fact, where people said they didn't know he was a real person. so obviously everyone doesn't know. and so to end on that scene makes no sense whatsoever.

anyway, i read the book and thought DFW would have had problems with it existing, and i think he'd be beyond horrified by the film. and i thought it just wasn't that great a film, independent from all that. i'm a fan and the word that most came to mind was "inessential."

Re: the final scene

Thank you so much for posting that. It makes much more sense than the movie, though I also bought into the idea that he might go to a dance. DFW did seem to enjoy cheap pleasures in junk food and television, movies, etc, while simultaneously acknowledging that you can't really live off of them.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Really good article

At the end we were seeing DFW as he wanted to be seen. Throughout the film he's worried as to how the interviewer would present him in the Rolling Stone article. We see the story of DFW dancing at a Baptist Church -- the reality is very likely he was at some sort of AA or NA meeting.

http://www.juicycerebellum.com/movie.htm
Movies, movies, politics and movies.

Exactly. I thought it was sort of metaphorical. What he wanted to be able to be. What we, knowing how he ended up, would've wished for him to be able to be.

Precisely.
That's why it's in that otherworldly slow motion-- that idealistic view that Wallace had of himself realized in the afterlife.
This movie actually has a lot of awesome touches like that. Ponsoldt... Jesus, how is this film so criminally f--ing underrated?
I read the "best of 2015" lists, and it's like no one even saw the f--ing thing. Absolutely inexcusable.
Does it not have 91% on Rotten Tomatoes? So all of those idiots just flee to the winter releases when it's crunch time like they have a gnat's attention span?
F--k 'em.

Well, to be fair, I read many of the "Best of 2015" lists as well and it did make some of those. You're exaggerating a bit here. ;)

I remember vividly that of all the major publications' lists that I read late last year, its highest rank was #6.... And that list had Spike Lee's abomination at #1, so as much as I appreciated that ranking, they sort of destroyed their credibility.

Well, #6 of all movies of the year is pretty strong in my book. Of course there will be lists you disagree with, but I just meant I saw several lists where this showed up and any movie that makes several top ten of the year lists is pretty well acclaimed in my book.

That's how I see it, maybe people have different definitions of over/underrated. ;)