The End of the Tour : This is going to be Segal's ticket to the Oscars

This is going to be Segal's ticket to the Oscars

You heard it here first.

Re: This is going to be Segal's ticket to the Oscars

Lol. No, it's not going to be.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Have you seen it?

He'll probably get a nomination if the movie ends up being good enough since this is such an Oscar bait role.

Having seen the movie tonight, what Jason Segel does is INCREDIBLE. There's never a moment where you never feel he hasn't embodied David Foster Wallace to the T (and I say this as a person who usually yawns at biopics, but what James Ponsoldt does with the material is so naturalistic), but in the end, I think the worst thing going for Segel is the performance is TOO subtle for the Academy's taste and A24 has yet to get a film successfully recognized by the Academy. Hopefully, this is a film that catches on with audiences and gives Segel and the film a fighting chance.

Hate to be that guy, but aren't the views of DFW far too contrary to what the whole Hollywood culture is about? It doesn't seem like this nepotistic system would want to showcase these ideas. But hey, maybe all the old white guys retired and there are some forward thinkers around.

I hope so.

For a number of reasons, I doubt it'll happen, but I would love to see it.

-----------
This is your life, and it is ending one minute at a time

"Segal wasn't handsome enough to play the role-- Foster was handsome blah blah blah."
Whatever. Segal was actually more charismatic than Wallace and delivered his lines better (I've listened to some of the recordings). So he more than compensated for not being Mr. Cover Model or whatever nonsense.

Lol, the irony in that-- Segal winning an Oscar for portraying a guy who loathed popular culture. The Oscars ceremony is that, and I think most people will see through it, thus Jason gets no Oscar.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's not happening. He would deserve it, however. The distributor, the film is very low key. It's got too much going against it when there are a bunch of bigger hitters out there. It's a shame though.

Don't promise tomorrow, it's not yours to give.