Children and Family Films : Scariest childhood movies?

Scariest childhood movies?

http://paintedseahorse.hubpages.com/hub/The-Scariest-Movies-I-Saw-as-a -Kid

I recently wrote about the kids' films that scared me the most when I was a child, like Willy Wonka, Brave Little Toaster, Return to Oz, Neverending Story, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Of course, I love most of these films today.

What are some children's movies that creeped you out when you were younger (or still creep you out today)? If you have kids, which modern films give them nightmares?

I feel cranky and pubescent today, and I don't know why. I'm going to take it out on people I like.

Re: Scariest childhood movies?

All Dogs Go to Heaven.

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" - Gandalf

I know a lot of young children have been scared by the animated Monsters, Inc. I started to watch it the other day, and it's not really a little kids' movie. Like Bee Movie, not all animated movies are for kids. I didn't finish it, but the idea that monsters actually live under the bed and in the closet is scary, even if adults watching think they look harmless.

I really can't remember what movies scared me as a young child. Back then (ha) we didn't have access to films the way children do now. Only in the theater when they came out and maybe once a year on TV. And we didn't have TVs in our rooms and 24/7 access of hundreds of channels. It was much more difficult to see things our parents didn't want us to see. I was scared of the wicked witch in Oz and Cruella de Ville in 101 Dalmations. Just remembered those.

- Sally

The perfect human being is uninteresting. - Joseph Campbell

Interesting topic...

I am dating myself here, but I was little when "Amityville Horror" came out. I had the flu so my mother couldn't leave me with the sitter. She went to the drive-in with her sisters to watch the movie while I was laying in the back seat. I didn't see much of the movie, but I heard it loud and clear through the speakers attached to the car window. I could not bring myself to watch it for years as an adult because I was petrified from just the sounds all those years before.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

Mine were:

Matilda
Jumanji
James and the Giant Peach
Disney's Pinocchio
Snow White
The Brave Little Toaster (I love this movie and all, but still...)
FernGully: The Last Rainforest (same with this one)
Beetlejuice (except now I find it more hilarious than scary)

"Tina you fat lard, come get some dinner!" -Napoleon Dynamite

The only movie I remember kind of scarring me was Pinocchio when the kids were turned into donkeys.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Two scenes scared me as a child: the transformation of the Queen into the Witch and the chase up the mountain.

Pinocchio
The Pleasure Island scene where boys were turned into donkeys.

The Wizard of Oz
The feet of the Witch of the East curling up and disappearing under the house.

There is a stop-motion puppet-toon about a dragon slayer that I saw at a very early age that scared the bejesus out of me. I don't remember the name and the only scene I can recall is the dragon eating some kind of poison and writhing about until it dies. Of course, my memory about the exact circumstances may be faulty, going back over sixty years. I've been looking for that one for a long time.

To God There Is No Zero. I Still Exist.

Those are some classics for sure.

I read that after the premiere of "Snow White," movie theaters had to reupholster their seats because so many kids were frightened by the evil queen, they wet themselves.

I feel cranky and pubescent today, and I don't know why. I'm going to take it out on people I like.

I heard the same thing. Though, neither my younger sister nor I ever found it scary, I know she was scared by "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," which was one half of "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad." She was so scared by it, when she first saw it on TV, that years later she still refused to watch it.

I, on the other hand, never found neither scary. What scared me as a child was the "Rapunzel" episode of "Shirley Temple Storybook," which scared me, when I saw it as a child. Years later, I still could remember how it scared the crap out of me, when I first saw it on TV.

It was so long ago i really can't remember the title, but i clearly remember that scene where two kids were in the elevator, and the elevator wouldn't stop, and then the hand of a witch appears slowly at the door of the elevator... even just recalling the scene creeps me out.

There's more to attraction than meets the eye.

A long long time ago, back when I was very young, they used to show Laurel and Hardy's March of the Wooden Soldiers on TV at Christmas time. And the boogie men used to scare the bejeebers out of me.

Then they stopped showing it and it wasn't until many years later that I saw it again and realized the boogie men had zippers running down their backs.

My surrogate sick pig: "What I tell you three times is true!"

It's strange, but I read all the answers, and I can't recall being scared by any of those pictures, or any other children's movie when I was small... Actually, I very rarely got scared by anything (I loved to climb trees up to 6 or 7 meters, jumped from the three-meter board in a forward dive, walked around by myself in foreign countries when we were on holiday... Only when I got a little too fresh, and my mom raised her hand in warning, THEN I ran out of the room as if I had been stung...); the first MOVIE that scared me a little when I was about 10 was "Murder by Death"...

The Wizard of Oz scared me when I was very little. After that, Disney's The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh scared the crap outta me!

"She's, like, a biscuit older than me..."

The Secret of Nimh. The beginning is creepy. Good decent film though.

Alice in Wonderland (1985)- The Jabberwocky
The Wizard of Oz (1939)- The Wicked Witch of the West
Ian Fleming's Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)- The Child Catcher
Hansel and Gretel (1987)- The witch
Labyrinth (1986)- When Sarah checks on Toby, after making her wish. (The first time I saw it, I ran out the room. I didn't want to see what was under the covers.)
Hocus Pocus (1993)- When the witches break into Max's house and surprise him in his bedroom.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

"The Peanutbutter Solution" used to scare the stuffing out of me as a kid and suprisingly it was not the ghosts that I found scary but the creepy guy making the paintbrushes or whatever who scared me the most. Despite this my sister and I would rent this all the time for our Beta-max player (and yes I realize I just dated myself, lol).

Also, although not a kid's movie, as teenagers at slumber parties we would rent obscur-ish movies and one that always scared me (and thus stuck with me through the years) was "Lady In White." For some reason that whistling and the sceen in the coatroom scared me like nobody's business.

Captain Campion

I let the half of me that feels crazy speak for the half of me that feels alone --- John Engman

Pinocchio- When the boys are turned into donkeys and rounded up by the Coachman's minions, Lampwick's transformation, and Monstro

Dumbo- Pink Elephants On Parade

The Neverending Story- G'mork

The Dark Crystal- The Skeksis

Ernest Scared Stupid- Trantor

Little Nemo:Adventures in Slumberland