Western : What Westerns Have You Seen? May/June/July/Aug/Sept Edition

Well.... here's 9 more westerns!

I'll keep them coming.... a few more days. My western month is coming to a close. But I still have more westerns I've discovered for next month too.

Forbidden Trails (1941, Robert N. Bradbury)
--- The last film Robert N. Bradbury ever directed. Don't know why he was chosen for Forbidden Trails (1941), for Bradbury hadn't directed a film since 1937, but I'm glad the nightmare is finally over. The man responsible for the worst films John Wayne every did and for making his own son (Bob Steele) look like crap in so many films. One of the biggest hacks in the industry wasn't going to make another disappointment after this....

On the positive side, Forbidden Trails wasn't half bad! The third entry in The Rough Riders series, which collected the three veterans Buck Jones, Tim McCoy & Raymond Hatton for a few marshal adventures. Their personalities alone was enough to make sure Bradbury wasn't going to mess this up! And the plot of them fooling the outlaws works alright within it's low budget atmosphere. Most of all, definitely cool to see those washed-up cowboys working together!
4/10

Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie (1941, Ray Taylor)
--- The highlight of Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie (1941) was Jimmy Wakely and His Rough Riders singing, you guessed it, Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie.... and Fuzzy Knight going plain loco! Otherwise a uneven cowboy cheapy starring Johnny Mack Brown.
3/10

The Lady from Cheyenne (1941, Frank Lloyd)
--- A gullible attempt campaigning women's rights! Won't pass todays sensitivities with it's airheaded genius, but for 1941 The Lady from Cheyenne (1941) was a big flirt for Universal Pictures' female audience. Hiring Loretta Young to play a land speculator/schoolteacher in a small settlers town run by corrupt Edward Arnold and his brains Robert Preston. And what a fun performance she delivers! Young really perfected her part while looking extremely beautiful in her conservative way. Her delivery was absolutely exquisite making The Lady from Cheyenne a delightful little comedy poking fun at male politics and women's suffrage.
6/10

Romance of the Rio Grande (1941, Herbert I. Leeds)
--- Cesar Romero is back as Cisco Kid! ..... and some other fellow who Ricardo Cortez want killed. So double-confusion causes the Cisco Kid to take his place to find out what's up. Full of charm and danger. Romero is such a natural Cisco Kid and he embellishes the character so greatly. Even with a average Twentieth Century Fox effort on production he enhance the experience and makes Romance of the Rio Grande (1941) a more then enjoyable westerner.
5/10

Ride on Vaquero (1941, Herbert I. Leeds)
--- Cisco Kid is dame trouble many times over in Ride on Vaquero (1941). The actual crime gang wasn't all that interesting, with the exception of corrupt sheriff Arthur Hohl, but whenever the flirting outlaw got together with any women folks the dynamic got magnetizing! Perhaps not of the best written Cisco Kid film, but Cesar Romero knows his game and it's sad to know this was the last time he would do the Cisco Kid.
4/10

Billy the Kid's Range War (1941, Sam Newfield)
--- The Billy the Kid series with Bob Steele is just leftovers of how they made westerns in the early-30s. No-budget westerns as dull and unoriginal as can be. Only a few recognizable B-actors help get one through this drag of a gun story.
2/10

The Lone Rider in Ghost Town (1941, Sam Newfield)
--- Leave it to super-hack Sam Newfield to make a ghost town western into a dry affair. He can take the life out of anything! And there was little singing ham George Houston could do about it....
2/10

Undercover Man (1936, Albert Ray)
--- Johnny Mack Brown is a Undercover Man (1936) uncovering incompetence. Loved the little altercations with the clueless sheriff Horace Murphy. Also with the simpleminded sidekick Frank Darien. The rest of this western is pure poverty row incompetence.
3/10

Desperate Trails (1939, Albert Ray)
--- Routine Universal B-western starring long time cowboy Johnny Mack Brown and (barely) featuring fading cowboy Bob Baker. Likable with the familiar support, but extremely forgettable, even for a Mack Brown western.
3/10

Re: Well.... here's 9 more westerns!

Thanks.

The last big batch from my May western challenge!

These ends my May western challenge. During the month I watched 103 features and 4 serials. Mostly oaters lasting less then an hour, but also got the big ones from 1940.

The Man from Texas (1915, Tom Mix)
--- A over hundred year old Tom Mix western! Super simple, yet charmingly human as Mix tries to hunt down his sister's killer. The Man from Texas (1915) might not go down as one of the greatest silent cowboy flicks out there, but it's well enough made for it to be a okay viewing experience after all these years.
4/10

Lightning Range (1933, Victor Adamson)
--- Welcome to the weird world of Victor Adamson's movie making. Adamson must be the director I've given the most feature length films the lowest score possible! Especially the ones starring Buddy Roosevelt, and this one stars none other then Mr. Roosevelt himself. However Lightning Range (1933) is so comically bad it turns almost good! So terrible! But so terrible it'll produce quite a few laughs!
2/10

Rawhide Romance (1934, Victor Adamson)
--- Can't be a coincidence that Rawhide Romance (1934) was released on April Fool's Day 1934. A Victor Adamson western turkey!
1/10

The Kid Ranger (1936, Robert N. Bradbury)
--- Robert N. Bradbury pouring out yet another worthless cowboy picture for his son Bob Steele. Technically simple, though not necessary bad. Just so ordinary almost nothing stands out.... which shows Bradbury's usual level of imagination. Steele does as best he can, but papa is a natural hack.
2/10

Song of the Trail (1936, Russell Hopton)
--- Very recognizable 1930s character actor Russell Hopton directed 2 films in his career. Black Gold (1936), a fairly poor oil drama with Frankie Darro. The other, this, Song of the Trail (1936), a fairly poor western with Kermit Maynard in the lead. In short Hopton was a fairly poor director. Unremarkable cowboy film, even with decent names on the line-up like George 'Gabby' Hayes, Fuzzy Knight and with Evelyn Brent as Kermit's leading lady, though this was when Brent's movie career was just about irrelevant. Unfortunately little was catchy about the Song of the Trail.
2/10

The Californian (1937, Gus Meins)
--- The age old story of a Spanish nobleman returning to California fighting for the rights of the Mexican people from bad men exploiting their power in the new government. Like Zorro and so many other variations of this Robin Hood story. Unfortunately this one wasn't made by capable hands. The director was Gus Meins, mostly known for making Our Gang/Rascals short comedies who made a few feature films at the end of the career, did not know how to add anything to distinguish this from any other low budget western. Rather the other way around. He didn't seem to know how to put together a interesting narrative which was longer then the 10-20 minutes he was used to.

Didn't even help that he had a very capable leading man in Ricardo Cortez. Cortez did try, but there wasn't much for him to do. And as a result The Californian (1937) might possibly the worst film he ever did! That's saying something with a man who have done so many B-movies in his career.
2/10

Cheyenne Rides Again (1937, Robert F. Hill)
--- Cheyenne Rides Again (1937) is a extremely cheap looking poverty row western with slightly awkward Tom Tyler as the hero. Probable the most interesting thing about this standard no-budget Victory production was that it included Lon Chaney Jr. as one of the main henchmen. But truth be told, this was another really bad job by director Robert F. Hill and not even Tyler's energy could save this from being crap.
1/10

Trailing Trouble (1937, Arthur Rosson)
--- While I probable prefer Hoot Gibson's The Hard Hombre (1931), it's remake Trailin' Trouble (1937) with Ken Maynard does have the lovely B-actress Lona Andre getting a lot of screen time! And that's enough for me to keep watching!
3/10

Heart of the Rockies (1937, Joseph Kane)
--- Knew there was a reason why I've been having trouble tracking this Three Mesquiteers entry. It's one they want to forget they ever made. About tame bears being used for cattle rustling.... *facepalm*
2/10

El Diablo Rides (1939, Ira Webb)
--- The usual no-budget westerns Bob Steele used all of the 1930s making. Nothing remarkable in any way. Just some quickly shot action scenes and passionless dialogue to fill the matinée hour in demanded at the small theatres.
2/10

The Better Man Wins (1922, Frank S. Mattison & Marcel Perez)
--- Of the famous cowboys of the silent era, Pete Morrison is one I've yet to explore much. The Better Man Wins (1922) gives me a chance to see what I'm missing out on. Morrison is a big man, not the most charismatic, but has a presence. Most importantly the man knows how to fight! Something which makes this fun as the cowboy and his cowgirl get a taste of society, a world they clearly don't belong. Wish he'd slap a few flappers as well, but we have to be satisfied with dopey male snobs being thrown in the indoor pool!
4/10

Rounding Up the Law (1922, Charles R. Seeling)
--- Rounding Up the Law (1922) is very ordinary as far as westerns goes, even silent ones. The big reward however was watching the young and slender Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams go to work! He's among my favourite supporting guys in sound movies, but this film was made before he got back-heavy and could pass as a leading man. Still corny looking in his George W. Bush way, but with so much energy that it felt he was acting in a much more thrilled affair then this. There are some nice touches of suspense in this simple western tale, but most of all 'Big Boy' is the man to watch.
4/10

Riders of the Law (1922, Robert N. Bradbury)
--- Riders of the Law (1922) is a one of the few silent westerns from Robert N. Bradbury I've seen. Maybe the poison of having watched so many of his crappy sound oaters keeps me from fully appreciating this one. There are qualities here. Perhaps the best example of Bradbury giving time adding human emotion to his characters, for Jack Hoxie put on a fine performance as the hero in the saddle. On the negative side, which is why it drags, the narrative/plot is barely given the equal amount of quality time. One care more for the throwaway romance then catching the crooks. So if you mainly look for romance in your wild west adventures, you'll enjoy this one more then me.
3/10

Wild Horse Canyon (1925, Ben F. Wilson)
--- Yakima Canutt was a likable sort of fellah, and a great stuntman, but he never had a personality for the screen. Not even with the mystique of silent film did he come across as anything special in the few westerns he was the leading man in. Wild Horse Canyon (1925) shows that. And with no sparkling hero, this silent suffers from the same dead atmosphere as those early poverty row westerns of the sound era. Nothing special here and only for the most hardcore Yakima fans.
2/10

Riding for Life (1925, Mack V. Wright)
--- Bob Reeves, who spent 30 years in sound movies doing uncredited parts, was very briefly a starring man in the silent westerns. In Riding for Life (1925) we get a glimpse of what he was good for. He had been a cowboy in real life, so the man could handle being on a horse. But he hardly had the personality that'll set the place on fire. Plus this film wasn't anything more then a routine production of the simplest kind. It works for what it is.... a forgettable short-length feature film to warm up for something better.
3/10

Jus' Travelin' (1925, Horace B. Carpenter)
--- Bob Burns was for a long time one of the B-movies super extras. With nearly 350 credits to his lists, he often be just a guy in the background not taking up much space. But even he got a shot at a leading role! Had to be the silent west, and in Jus' Travlin' (1925) he does the typical hero act. Not worse or better then any other the other that got a shot back in those days. At least he looked like a rugged westerner. Difficult to make too much of an impression when it's just a run-of-the-mill low budget production, but at least Burns put on enough of a effort to make it a decent B-western from the forgotten days.
3/10

The Road Agent (1925, J.P. McGowan)
--- Wow, Jack Hoxie had a even lesser know brother who was also a silent cowboy star! A western star without much of a following, and once sound came in dropped out after a decade of trying his luck in Hollywood. Al Hoxie looked like more of a normal Hoxie, and more handsome in a traditional sense. Jack, while more of a presence, always looked like he fit right into Universal's monster factory with all his white make-up. Regardless which Hoxie, The Road Agent (1925) was just another western with some nice family moments with the mother and the pretty girl. It did not try to be anything more then what it was. Simple and nothing special.
3/10

Re: The last big batch from my May western challenge!

107 films!!!!!! Here I thought I was doing good getting exactly 50 film and television reviews up on IMDB in May.

You are a braver man than I.

Re: And a few regular oaters, including 4 from the Range Busters...

Re: A few western Serials!

Have several of these, but have not gotten around to viewing them yet. Thanks

Adventures of Red Ryder (1940)
Deadwood Dick (1940)
Winners of the West (1940)
King of the Texas Rangers (1941)

The first and last there are well thought of. As usual H, thanks for the reads.

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Western Tv: CUSTER "Accused" 1967

CONTAINS SPOILERS

CUSTER "Accused" 1967

CUSTER was a western series that ran for 17 episodes during the fall of 1967. The series is a highly fictional take George Armstrong Custer's various battles with the Plains Indians. Custer is played by Wayne Maunder with support from Slim Pickens, Peter Palmer, Robert F Simon, Grant Woods and Michael Dante.

This episode is the second of the series. Custer (Wayne Maunder) is out on patrol in the Black Hills looking into what the Lakota might be up to. He splits to patrol into two sections, leading one while new officer, Chris Robinson, leads the other. They are to avoid contact with any hostiles.

Robinson though has other ideas and ambushes a hunting party of natives. They kill four of the five Sioux encountered. Maunder and his group now join up with Robinson. Robinson is dressed down by Maunder for engaging the natives.

The one Sioux warrior has returned with a huge war party lead by Chief Crazy Horse (Michael Dante) himself. Maunder again splits his small patrol up and sends Robinson and 5 men off to return to the fort. He takes his own group and likewise does the same taking a diff route.

Maunder and his men reach the safety of the fort. Robinson's section fails to show. It turns out that Robinson had disobeyed orders again and changed his route. The section was caught by the Sioux and four of the men killed. Robinson and his Sgt, Jack Hogan, manage to escape on foot into the hills.

Complicating matters for Maunder is that James Daly, the father of the young officer, Robinson, is at the fort. Daly is a big time newspaper owner who has been printing some nasty stories about Maunder. (Custer) Daly's brother had been killed in the late war between the States, while riding with Maunder's command. Now he is sure that it is Maunder's fault his son is dead.

Maunder leads a night time patrol of 5 men out to recover the dead troopers. Daly forces his way onto the patrol to look for his son. The patrol finds the four dead troopers and quickly puts them underground. Daly is happy as hell that his son was not among the dead.

As this is happening, Robinson and Sgt Hogan are hiding out in a cave they found in the hills. Hogan in no uncertain terms lets Robinson know that he is a rotten officer, and that it is Robinson's fault the troopers are dead. The two are going to try and make it back to the fort on foot. The Sioux know full well that there were two survivors and are combing the area for them.

The Sioux soon put the bag on Robinson and Hogan, killing the latter. Robinson they stake out as bait for any possible rescue party. Needless to say, Daly rides right into the trap and the fight is on. Maunder and his men free Robinson and hotfoot it back towards the fort. One more trooper is killed during the chase. It is only because Maunder has brought along some dynamite, that they escape without further losses.

Back at the fort, Daly wants Maunder's commanding officer, Robert F Simon, to have him arrested. Robinson puts an end to that idea, by telling his father that the whole disaster was his fault by disobeying orders.

This is a watchable episode, with some nicely done stunt work during the fight scenes. Chris Robinson and Jack Hogan had just finish long runs on the war series, 12 O'CLOCK HIGH and COMBAT.

Re: Western Tv: CUSTER "Accused" 1967

Custer (1967) - Accused (1967)

You are a bigger legend than Custer

Western Tv: WHISPERING SMITH "The Quest" 1961

CONTAINS SPOILERS

WHISPERING SMITH "The Quest" 1961

WHISPERING SMITH was western star Audie Murphy's attempt at headlining a series. Murphy plays a member of the Denver Police Force in the late 1860's. The series follows Murphy and his partner, Guy Mitchell, as they chase various unsavoury types and bring them to justice. The series ran for 26 episodes between May and November 1961.

This episode is the 8th of the production run.

This one starts with a Murphy and his partner, Mitchell helping a young woman who has just arrived in Denver. The woman, Elen Willard, is looking for her mother who she has seen in 16 years. All she knows is that someone from Denver was sending cash every month to her place out east.

Murphy and Mitchell look into the matter with out much hope. The pace of the investigation picks up when Willard is told to leave town by several large gentlemen. Murphy and company root around and the trail leads to a wealth ranch owner, Harry Holcombe.

Anyways, it seems that the woman Willard is after is shall we say, "unbalanced," and her new husband, Holcombe is keeping her hidden away. The woman, Kay Stewart, had given up her daughter, Willard because out of fear that her first husband would harm the child. Murphy forces Holcombe to let the mother and daughter meet.

This is not what one would call a good episode. The story really goes nowhere and there is a complete lack of action. Not a winner.

Re: Western Tv: WHISPERING SMITH "The Quest" 1961

Whispering Smith (1961) - The Quest (1961)

.THE BOUNTY HUNTER 1954

CONTAINS SPOILERS

THE BOUNTY HUNTER 1954

THE BOUNTY HUNTER is a western film made by Judy Garland's company, Transcona Productions, and Warner Brothers. The film stars, Randolph Scott, Delores Dorn, Marie Windsor, Ernest Borgnine, Howard Petrie, Harry Antrim and Robert Keys.

Randolph Scott is a bounty hunter with a reputation for bringing in his wanted men dead. Scott is approached by an agent of the Pinkerton Detective Agency. He is offered a large reward to find a trio of holdup men. The men had made off with $100,000 in cash. The Pinkerton Agency has not been able to trace the men. They have an idea that the unknown men might be hiding in the mining town of Twin Forks.

Scott hits the town under an alias and is soon asking pointed questions of the townsfolk. Of particular interest to Scott is the local doctor, Harry Antrim. Scott has reason to believe that one of the three hold up types had been wounded during the robbery. Antrim is not exactly forthcoming in the info department. His pretty daughter, Delores Dorn, lets slip that she recalls a bullet wound they treated.

There are several red fish of the herring variety thrown at Scott and the audience. In the mix here is Ernest Borgnine as the hotel operator, Dub Taylor as the post office man and Marie Windsor as a saloon girl. Once it becomes known that Scott is a famous bounty hunter, the pot soon gets to a boiling. People start to leave town and one man makes an unsuccessful play for Scott.

The pot is now overrunning and the unknown hold up crew start to lose their nerve. Needless to say that bodies start to pile up as the gang turns on each other. Scott follows the corpses till he arrives at the right bunch. There is a nice twist at the end when the gang members are revealed.

The director here is Andre de Toth. This was one of six films Scott and de Toth made together. While all of them, like this one, are watchable dusters, they do not match the westerns series made between Scott and director Budd Boetticher.

The odd camera angles etc present in this one are because the film was made in 3-d. It was however only released to cinemas in standard 2-d format. Director de Toth also filmed the popular 3-d horror film, HOUSE OF WAX. This is rather odd since de Toth only had one eye.

Right at the end of the film, future star, Fess Parker, as well as silent star, Buddy Roosevelt, have small bits.

Re: .THE BOUNTY HUNTER 1954

The Bounty Hunter (1954)

I liked it >

He arrives in Twin Forks and the whole town is in a tizzy.

The Bounty Hunter sees Randolph Scott star as a Bounty Hunter tracking down three murdering train robbers who may have settled down in the small town of Twin Forks. It's directed by Andre de Toth, in what was the last of six Westerns he made with Scott. It's written by Winston Miller (story) & Finlay McDermid, and features support acting from Marie Windsor, Ernest Borgnine, Dolores Dorn & Howard Petrie. Music is by David Buttolph and Edwin B. DuPar photographs it at Redrock Canyon & the Warner Ranch in California. Coming as it did during the 3D boom of 1953/54, it was shot in 3D but ended up being released in standard flat 2D. Out of Warner Brothers it was shot in their own color format known as WarnerColor.

During the early days when civilisation was pushing its frontiers farther and farther West, there roamed a special creed of men. . .neither outlaws nor officers of the law, yet more feared than either. For reward money--they tracked down criminals wanted dead or alive, and made themselves both judge and executioner in some lonely court of no appeal. They were called "Bounty Hunters".

The WarnerColor may be dull and lifeless here, but that in no way sums up this perky Randy Scott Oater. Scott was always at his best when playing loners or troubled and pained drifters, in short, when away from a group dynamic he was allowed to flourish as the fine actor he was. So it be here as he lays it on as a no nonsense good bad guy! Quipping away in the face of aggression, Scott is able to portray a man not to be messed with-who is happy to kill for cash-yet remain charming and always endearing himself to the audience. It's quite a knack to be so tough yet also be so affable. But Scott on form could do it in his sleep, and to my mind that makes this an essential film for Scott fans to consider outside of his work for Boetticher & Peckinpah.

Once he reaches Twin Forks, the film gathers apace and starts to unfold as a whodunit like mystery. Sure the writing is not forming the townsfolk with any great urgency, and by golly it isn't hard to figure out who the hiding out villains are. But watching the town start to crack under the strain of either being suspicious of thy neighbours, or fretting about being found out, makes for an entertaining piece as Scott moves about them with almost sadistic glee. The smiling assassin comes to mind! It put me in mind of one of Audie Murphy's best film's, No Name On the Bullet, so any fans of that film should certainly get much from this one.

There's nothing to write home about technically, Toth deals in standard file and rank direction and DuPar's photography is lost within the dull sheen deliverance at Warner Ranch. While the support cast are nicely dressed, and made up, but ultimately just talking props serving to let Scott grasp the film with both hands. But grasp it he does! With gun in hand, tongue in cheek and the heart of a lion, he lifts this piece above its many other budgetary failings. 7/10

Western Tv: TALES OF WELLS FARGO "Renegade Raiders"1957

CONTAINS SPOILERS

TALES OF WELLS FARGO "Renegade Raiders"1957

TALES OF WELLS FARGO was a western series than ran for a total of 200 episodes between 1957 and 1962. Dale Robertson plays the lead as Jim Hardee. Hardee is an agent for the stage and cargo hauling outfit. When something goes wrong he is the man they send to fix it.

This episode is the 8th of the series. Wells Fargo man Hardee (Dale Robertson) is in Wyoming looking for the reason for attacks on Wells Fargo posts by raiding Indians. At one of the way stations he finds an employee, Francis McDonald has survived an attack by hiding in the cellar.

Robertson and McDonald track the raiders into the hills and find a revolver on the trail. It is a brand that is made in St Joseph Missouri. Robertson heads for St Jo to look into the matter. Robertson figures that an inside man at the St Jo office is shipping guns by Wells Fargo.

Robertson pretends to be a new Wells Fargo recruit and is assigned to Denver Pyle for training. Also in the group is Dan (Bonanza) Blocker, Paul (Rawhide) Brinegar and Morgan Woodward.

After several days of training the four men are sent off to deliver a pair of wagons to Wyoming. Robertson thinks there is something fishy with Pyle but cannot quite put his finger on it.

Next thing you know Robertson is gobbled up by a war party of Cheyenne. It turns out that the Cheyenne have a deal with Mister Pyle. He supplies them with munitions and the Indians give him the cargo off all the captured wagons. Off course the wagon crew are always killed.

Not this time however as Robertson has taken some precautions. He has had McDonald follow and keep tabs on Pyle. When the Cheyenne attack the wagon crew is armed and waiting. The Indians soon lose their stomach for fighting after a few of their saddles are emptied.

Robertson of course escapes capture and turns the tables on Pyle who is now in the bag. The raiding problem is cured and Pyle is off to jail.

This must be the first time I've seen Morgan Woodward in role where he was not a villain.

Directing the episode was George Waggner. A former big screen veteran whose most well-known work is likely, THE WOLFMAN with Lon Chaney Jr and THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN with John Wayne.

Re: Western Tv: TALES OF WELLS FARGO "Renegade Raiders"1957

Tales of Wells Fargo (1957) - Renegade Raiders (1957)

The Cheyenne! Gord

WESTERN TV: WHISPERING SMITH "Three for One" 1961

CONTAINS SPOILERS

WHISPERING SMITH "Three for One" 1961

WHISPERING SMITH was western star Audie Murphy's attempt at headlining a series. Murphy plays a member of the Denver Police Force in the late 1860's. The series follows Murphy and his partner, Guy Mitchell, as they chase various unsavoury types and bring them to justice. The series ran for 26 episodes between May and November 1961.

This episode is the 9th of the production run.

This one starts with Murphy sitting with several Deputies from Phoenix, they are all waiting for the stagecoach. The men, Richard Crane and Ken Mayer are in Denver picking up a prisoner, K.L. Smith, who is wanted in Arizona on murder charges. The stage finally arrives and the Deputies load Smith on and head off. Two hours later a telegram arrives at the Police office.

It seems that two men had been found murdered outside a town several hours away. The two have been identified as Deputies from Phoenix. That means that the two who had picked up Smith, had been fakes. Murphy and his man, Mitchell, saddle up and set off in pursuit.

Murphy and Mitchell find the stagecoach with the driver and several of the passengers murdered. There is no sign of Smith, Mayer, Crane or the female passenger, Pamela Duncan. After a quick look around, Murphy and Mitchell pick up the chase. Now they come up on the body of Smith. While checking this out, rifle shots ring out from the nearby hills. Mitchell is pinked in the forehead and goes down.

Murphy loads up Mitchell and the dead Smith, then, returns both to Denver. While Mitchell is hauled off for repairs at the Police doctor, Murphy goes over the details with Police Chief, Sam Buffington. It appears that maybe the female passenger, Duncan, was really the wife of the slain Smith.

It seems that Smith had pulled a high end, cash robbery, and the money had not been recovered. While Smith had been cooling his heels in jail, the wife, Duncan had been stepping out with gang member, Crane. They had only broken Smith out of jail to find out where the cash was. Murphy spends the next few days tracking down leads and gets a break. A woman fitting Duncan's description is staying in a town down the line.

Murphy and the now recovered Mitchell, head off to pay Miss Duncan a call. Needless to say guns are needed as Mayer and Crane are not inclined to come peacefully. Boot Hill soon has a couple of new customers while Miss Duncan is collared and the money returned.

This one steps up the action and pace after several less than pleasing episodes. Sitting in the director's chair is long-time big screen man, Tay Garnett. Garnett's best known films would likely be, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, BATAAN, CHINA SEAS and THE BLACK KNIGHT.

Helping with the look of the episode is 7 time Oscar nominated, and 2 time winning cinematographer, Ray Rennahan. His film work includes, FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, DUEL IN THE SUN, 7th CAVALRY, A LAWLESS STREET, WHISPERING SMITH, (the film) STREETS OF LAREDO and THE PALFACE.

Look close and you will notice long time actor Raymond Hatton in a small bit. Hatton started out in 1912, and was on screen till 1967 with over 500 screen and television credits to his name.

Re: WESTERN TV: WHISPERING SMITH "Three for One" 1961

Whispering Smith (1961) - Three for One (1961)

A brisker!

Gord

Western Tv: THE DEPUTY "Badge for a Day" 1959 H. Fonda

CONTAINS SPOILERS

THE DEPUTY "Badge for a Day" 1959

THE DEPUTY was a western series that ran for 2 seasons and 76 episodes between 1959 and 1961. The series starred, big screen legend, Henry Fonda as Arizona Marshall, Simon Fry. Allen Case plays the DEPUTY, Clay McCord. Henry Fonda's character drifts in and out of the episodes, with Case being the main lead.

In this episode, the first of the series, Marshall Fry (Fonda) is hunting a gang of train robbers. The gang, led by the always villainous Robert Wilke, killed several people during the robbery.

Fonda pays a call on store owner, Clay McCord (Case) who Fonda considers the best gun in the territory. Fonda has used Case before as a Deputy and could use his help here. Case is not all that friendly to the idea. Fonda though tricks the man by buying some supplies to be delivered up the trail.

It seems that Fonda has captured a pair of men who were hired to take supplies to Wilke's gang. He knows where the gang will be hiding. The gang is holed up in an old mine shaft where Fonda and Case soon join them. They manage to get in real close, before Wilke and group tumble to the fact that these are not the men they were expecting.

Guns are pulled with plenty of lead flung in both directions. Several of the gang are cut down evening the odds a bit. There is more back and forth before the surviving gang members escape out the shaft. Now they have Fonda and Case trapped. They light a fire to smoke Fonda and company out of the mine.

The Lawmen though manage to fool the gang by sending out some horses with bedrolls tied up in the saddles. While Wilke and bunch are firing at the horses, Fonda and Case step out of the smoke and shoot up the gang. Wilke and one of the others is captured and hauled off to jail.

This is a pretty entertaining episode, with Wilke in particular shining. Also in the cast are Wallace Ford and James Griffith.

Long time television man, Don Medford directs, with 1 time Oscar nominated Ellsworth Fredericks in the cinematography chair.

Re: Western Tv: THE DEPUTY "Badge for a Day" 1959 H. Fonda

The Deputy (1959) - Badge for a Day (1959)

A good start Gordo

Re: What Westerns Have You Seen? May/June/July/Aug - 2016 Edition.

The Revenant 10/10-Have you seen it already guys?

Still need to get to it. Large parts of the production were filmed locally.

"Do you have some particular problem with me?"

The Quick and the Dead (1995)

The Quick and the Dead is a Sam Raimi Western, occupying that transitional time between the Evil Dead trilogy and his three Spiderman flicks. As with Raimi's other films, TQATD is full of inventive camera work, quirky characters, and bits of humor, although his style is constrained somewhat since the movie was produced by its star, Sharon Stone.

Miss Stone stars as, well, Clint Eastwood, a blond with no name and a mysterious past who rides out of the dust to wreak vengeance, or to wreak something that resembles vengeance. Just be assured, there is a certain amount of wreaking. Gene Hackman co-stars as, well, Gene Hackman, aka John Herod, a formidable presence and a worthy antagonist. The premise of the film is a gunfighting competition, held by Hackman in the town he "owns" (the town is carefully named "Redemption.") The narrative is reinforced by flashbacks to Hackman's hostile takeover of the the town, and, thereby hangs the tale.

The supporting cast is quite effective - Russell Crowe, in his American debut, brings a quiet power to Cort, a reformed (but still hellaciously dangerous) associate of Hackman, and Leo DiCaprio, still in the process of building his career, shows some of the angular charm that would make him a star. Familiar faces provide a welcome presence - Pat Hingle as a repressed barkeep, Lance Henriksen as a buffoon, Keith David as a professional shootist, and the great Woody Strode, in his final film appearance. The gunfight sequences range from interesting to forgettable, and give the film what little structure it has; the oddball characters attracted to the contest are an unsavory bunch, but they are colorfully unsavory.

Ultimately, The Quick and the Dead is a very watchable curiosity - I imagine Western fans will be entertained. The key may be your acceptance of Sharon Stone as the Eastwood character - I thought she was a fine action hero, in the tradition of Ellen Ripley and Charly Baltimore, but your mileage may vary. Personally, I thought the style overwhelmed the rather spare story, and I thought the actors overwhelmed the cardboard characters, but it is still a fun 107 minutes, with enough blood and grit to deserve an R rating. While individual scenes are effective, the peculiar start-stop structure of the gunfighting contest creates pacing problems, and the story runs far afield at times. I'll go with a 7/10, for style and star power, but it's more fun to watch a scene here and there rather than push through the entire film.

Re: "Do you have some particular problem with me?"

Saw it in the cinema and was not really taken with it. I then caught it on dvd a few years back and liked it. Not sure why the diff takes. Do like Rami as a director.

The Quick and the Dead

I'm due a revisit to it. It's one of those that each time I watch it I desperately want it to be better.

Your review is excellent and far better than mine, and as you can see, I'm not one who can quite get past the Stone casting.

Nice try from Raimi, but ultimately it creeps just above average.

The Western is a tough genre to tackle in the modern age, more so when it's post 1992 Unforgiven's masterclass 101. But tackling both these challenges is nothing to the one which director Sam Raimi asks of the audience in his stab at the genre.

A female gunslinger is here played by a Hollywood beauty, Sharon Stone, but she isn't right for the lead role. She obviously looks gorgeous and she broods and pouts better than most of her modern day peers, but she lacks a menacing streak, a bit of believable nastiness that just might have lifted the film to better heights? We understand and expect the vulnerability she shows, but to succeed here in the testosterone fueled town of Redemption, she's going to have to convince as a tough gal. And Stone just isn't up to the task.

The film does have good points to enjoy though, very much so. The story, although gimmicky, works well as an entertaining popcorn munching tale, while the cast list reads like a whose who of solid and quality thespers. (Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DeCaprio, Keith David, Pat Hingle & Lance Henriksen). Also into the plus column is the always impressive cinematography from Dante Spinotti, and there is no denying Sam Raimi's keen eye for detail, with his zooming shots a real treat during the shoot out sequences. But in spite of this, and acknowledging that the makers have tried something different, The Quick & The Dead isn't quick enough on the draw to outlive it's leading lady misstep. 6/10

Gun Belt (1953)

A by the numbers western B oater. The plot centers around a betrayal (yes I know, very original for a western). But the real distinguishing feature is that even with a decent cast, George Montgomery, Tab Hunter, John Dehner and the always ubiquitous Jack Elam, it barely manages to rise above snooze level. 5/10

"Anybody who doesn't wanna hang, step out and get shot!"

One for the bottom of the list you say?

actually, I would stick it beneath the bottom of the list.

Gun Belt (1953)

A new one to the board I believe.

Exteriors at the safe Iverson Ranch locale.

Shame it sounds like a dud, but thanks for bringing it out in the open Scout

Sierra Stranger (1957)

If you have 1h14min to kill, then find something else to do, if you got nothing, then maybe give this slow moving B western a turn to cure your insomnia. Barton McClane must've needed to pay the rent to attach his name to this oater. I've sat through worse, and once is enough for this one. 4/10

Thanks for the warning

Sierra Stranger (1957)

Doesn't seem to have a lot going for it, looks like a studio lot job as well.

Gun Glory (1957)

I’ve never really been a Stewart Granger fan but I wasn’t about to let that stop me from watching a new western. I started liking Gun Glory from the opening frame. It starts off with the iconic scene of a lonesome cowboy riding across the plains, with blue skies and mountains in the background, while Burl Ives sings a melodious title track.

Granger is a man dogged by a notorious reputation as a gunfighter, who returns home wishing to start a life without his guns, but he is soon met with contempt amongst some of the townspeople, and reluctantly finds himself in a dispute with a cattle baron and his henchmen.

The story and dramatic tension is well-paced and well-played and features a nice supporting cast which includes red-haired beauty Rhonda Fleming, Chill Wills and James Gregory. The ending was a little ham-handed but the movie was still a welcomed interlude during my recent string of forgettable B dirges. 7/10

My take on GUN GLORY

CONTAINS SPOILERS

GUN GLORY – 1957

This one trots out more than a few of the themes used in quite a few western films. The gunfighter wants to give up the life, the gunfighter returns to the family he left years before, the son who hates the man for leaving. Then there are the townsfolk who dislike having a gunfighter around and the woman who falls for the man. Then there is the villain type who forces the gunfighter to strap on the guns again.

Having said all that, this is a pretty fair western. Stewart Granger plays the gunfighter, Rhonda Fleming the woman, Steve Rowland the son and James Gregory is the villain. Granger arrives in a small town to rejoin his wife and son after being gone for 10 years. He rides out to their ranch but finds that his wife had died years before. The son, Steve Rowland is not at all happy with Granger's return. But he tries to get along with Granger because he knew that his mother loved Granger deeply.

Granger tells Rowland he just wants to settle down and help make the ranch a going concern. The two decide to make the best of the deal. They are soon joined by Rhonda Fleming who is hired to cook and keep house for the two.

Jacques Aubuchon, the town general store owner, is not happy about this as he had eyes for Miss Fleming. He of course goes on a campaign to have the townsfolk ask Granger to leave. The town preacher, Chill Wills, is of the live and let live bunch, and hopes Granger will blend into the community.

It does not take long and trouble comes a calling to the town. Big time cattle man, James Gregory, intends to run 20,000 cattle through the valley. And needless to say the new town is in the way. Granger happens to be in town picking up supplies and hears Gregory telling everyone to pack up and skedaddle. Granger steps up and suggests Gregory take his herd around the valley.

One of Gregory's hands decides that a bit of gun play is needed. A big mistake as the man is dropped by Granger. Gregory and his bunch ride off. We all know this is going to get worse before it gets better. To cut to the quick, Gregory and his bunch bushwhack a group of men from the town, killing several, including the preacher, Wills.

Granger feels he must join in and save the town. He uses explosives to close the pass the cattle must use, then duels it out with Gregory and his number one gun, Arch Johnson. Johnson is dispatched with a tad more lead than is good for him.

Everyone is happy and Gregory flees off into the sunset.

Not the best western I've seen, but by no means, is it a waste of time. Veteran director, Roy Rowland shows his usual steady hand and keeps any of the clichés from overpowering the story. (Steve Rowland is the director's son) Some of Rowland's other films include, SCENE OF THE CRIME, THE OUTRIDERS, BUGLES IN THE AFTERNOON, WITNESS TO MURDER, ROGUE COP and MANY RIVERS TO CROSS.

All in all, a decent way to kill an afternoon in front of the television.

It's like I wrote it myself...

Gun Glory (1957)

I recorded this a couple of weeks ago, I'll push it forward for a watch so we can compare notes.

The Outriders (1950)

Joel McCrea leads a small gang of escaped Confederate prisoners who encounter a small band of militia members belonging to Quantrill’s Raiders. Soon after, they reluctantly accept a mission to intercept a secret shipment of gold being sent from Mexico to the Union army.

Along the way, tensions rise as McCrea and fellow cohort Barry Sullivan, fight for the attention of beautiful co-star Arlene Dahl.

One of the movies highlights is a delicious scene with Arlene Dahl looking absolutely ravishing during an informal wagon train square dance sequence. Insert long wolf whistle.

There are some minor production miscues in the form of some obviously fake outdoor scenes but they are few and does not ruin the movie.

The story moves along briskly and is easily one of McCrea’s better films. Personal favorite, James Whitmore co-stars, looking very much like the dog-faced soldier he portrays in Battleground. 8/10

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Do not recall it at all.

Along the Great Divide (1951)
This was an interesting diversion for me. It is perfectly watchable but not really that good. Not sure why. The theme is saving a person being lynched to be taken to a jail and also going across the desert, etc. It could have been really good but wasn't. I never felt any tension - even when they were crossing the desert.

I give it 5/10 - not something I can watch again.

Whispering Smith (1948)
I guess this inspired the TV series (which I have never watched). Anyway, this was perfectly good otter. Friends divided over a woman (ended up with a wrong 'un). Actually, quite an enjoyable movie and Alan Ladd/Preston Foster are both good in form.

I give it 7/10.

Goodnight for Justice (2011) - TV movie
I caught this by accident. It must have been successful as it has spawned couple of sequels. It is a slow burner for sure but the lead character played by Luke Perry (apparently very famous for 90210 which went by me) was good. I really enjoyed it and look forward to watching the sequels. You are all reminded that it is very slow and perhaps with modern view on things.

I give it 8/10.

Divide/Smith

Along the Great Divide (1951)
Whispering Smith (1948)
Goodnight for Justice (2011)

We are at odds with Along the Great Divide, I liked it loads.

My name's Merrick. I'm United States Marshal here.

Along the Great Divide is directed by Raoul Walsh and written by Walter Doniger and Lewis Meltzer. It stars Kirk Douglas, Virginia Mayo, John Agar, Walter Brennan, Ray Teal, James Anderson and Morris Ankrum. Music is by David Buttolph and cinematography by Sidney Hickox.

U.S. Marshall Len Merrick (Douglas) and two deputies rescue suspected murderer Tim Keith (Brennan) from a lynch mob led by a local cattle baron who is convinced that Keith killed his son. The lawmen embark on a hazardous journey across the rugged terrains, determined to get Keith to Santa Loma for a fair trial...

Kirk Douglas' first Western is something of an undervalued treat. It was a film he didn't enjoy making, where working out in the desert with Raoul Walsh proved something of a cross to bear. Yet the director got a very good turn out of Douglas, allowing the actor to put down a marker in the genre that would serve him well throughout his career.

It sits very much in the psychological Western realm, a fact that some critics of the time failed to grasp - since complaints about not being a standard Oater were floated about! It really shouldn't have surprised anyone given that Douglas had already made a handful of superb film noir pictures, he was surely cast for this pic on the strength of his noir characters.

There's big father issues abound in the whole film, the various strands keeping the narrative edgy. Merrick is a damaged man, and his companions that make up the group will all test his metal to the max. Not just for father issues, and a lack of water, but also via the presence of Keith's daughter, Ann (Mayo), who mercifully isn't just a token female dressage character (she's feisty with believable emotional outpourings). It's a fraught journey for many reasons and Walsh, notwithstanding cheesing Douglas off, keeps it deftly wound tight.

The surroundings offer more troublesome discord to envelope the characters. Shot in gorgeous black and white by Hickox, the Alabama Hills and Mojave Desert locales provide barren landscapes that are juxtaposed with threatening looking rock formations. This often at times feels like an Anthony Mann/James Stewart landscape, which is high praise indeed. While the cast can't be faulted as they bring the drama to life, benefiting from the fine research of writers Doniger and Meltzer.

Undeniably the film's major drawback is the lack of whodunit worth. The pic unfortunately plays its hand far too early in this respect, meaning we know who the killer is. This could have lessened the excitement at story end, damagingly so, but we are never sure if we are going to be party to an Ox-Bow Incident or otherwise. This is well worth seeking out for fans of psychological Westerns, the many Oedipal themes and the scorching landscapes ensure it's a tasty little number. 8/10

Managed to record Whispering Smith a short while ago, so I'm looking forward to it. Good to see a strong 7 from you.

Good find with Goodnight for Justice.

Luke Perry (apparently very famous for 90210 which went by me)

It's also directed by Jason Priestley, who was very much one of the main men on the show. Perry and he are pals. Priestley was also in Tombstone (1993) so he obviously has a love for Westerns.

The Outriders (1950)

Sounds rather ace, defo one for us to be interested in. You catching these on the tube mate?

Re: The Outriders (1950)

I believe The Outriders did show up Turner Classic Movies just recently, the others I reviewed before it showed up on the Encore Western Movie channel earlier this month.

Don't get the Encore Western Movie channel here I'm sad to say.

That is unfortunate. It is literally a gold mine of 24/7 Westerns and best yet, no bloody commercials!

This is in response to Spike's message regarding the westerns I saw.

Nope.

I think they are from Spike (160 on Sky), TCM, Film4, 5USA (174 on Sky), etc. I must have taped these a while back and just got to watching them. I recommend Spike (to Spike) as they show 1/2 westerns a week and repeat every few weeks.

5USA have stopped doing westerns now 😠😞. They have gone as umpteenth channel showing the cr@ppy NCIS. Whenever I change a channel, it's bloody NCIS is on. 😠

Ambush at Tomahawk Gap (1953)

It's a B western with B cast but very enjoyable.

I really enjoyed this one about convicts looking for the loot they stashed before going to prison or more precisely by someone who didn't got to jail. Also, the ending is good too - not the typical Hollywood ending. The plus is that it is in COLOUR - woohoo (for some reason I can't seem to enjoy watching B/W movies and therefore missing out on lots of old westerns 😞).

I recommend this highly - 8/10 in my book - losing couple of points for the Injuns being really stupid (as per all Hollywood movies of those times).

Re: Ambush at Tomahawk Gap (1953)

Ambush at Tomahawk Gap (1953)

Nice to see this one pop up. Well worth a look and nice to see you enjoyed it plenty.

Gutsy Gusto Oater.

Ambush At Tomahawk Gap tells the story of four outlaws, McCord (John Hodiak), Egan (David Bryan), Doc (Ray Teal) & Kid (John Derek), who after being released from a five year sentence for robbery at Yuma Territorial Prison, implode from within as they yearn to find the hidden loot from their ill gotten gains. Not only that, but they are in the middle of Indian territory and Apache attacks are frequent and savage in their execution.

Bloody & brutal Western programmer out of Columbia Pictures that's produced by Wallace MacDonald and directed by Fred Sears. Written by David Lang, the principal location shoot is at Corriganville, Simi Valley, California. With Technicolor enhanced cinematography coming from Henry Freulich. Though featuring a pretty weak, and at times nutty story, the film has a high viewing factor on account of its adherence to Western action staples, it helps, too, that Sears directs with an absolutely no nonsense approach.

Running at just shy of 80 minutes, it just doesn't have time to dwell on intricacies, instead choosing more to embrace that this isn't really about redemptive qualities; which since there's barely any on show is a rather good thing. Sears movie is grim and potent enough to warrant a recommendation to the serious Western fan. And it's also very easy on the eye. Bonus plot wise comes with two lovely kickers during the pulsating finale. The cast man up and give it gusto and brawn, with Hodiak particularly standing out, and even the inevitable lady character plot strand (Maria Elena Marques) doesn't cloy or hinder the pace and mood of the piece.

You will not want to ponder too much about it afterwards, but hopefully you will go away thinking that you have been royally entertained by the guns, arrows and fists that have flown and been thrown throughout the movie. 7/10

Yep, big fan of SPIKE channel. I scan the TV guide every week, most of the Westerns shown on it I have seen, but there's always the odd one that crops up that I haven't, which makes buying the TV guide worth it

5 USA will have Westerns back, they buy on licence in bulk so it tends to come in waves.

As a Westerns lover the best thing I ever did was subscribe to cable

Western TV: THE DEPUTY "The Wild Wind" 1959

CONTAINS SPOILERS

THE DEPUTY "The Wild Wind" 1959

THE DEPUTY was a western series that ran for 2 seasons and 76 episodes between 1959 and 1961. The series starred, big screen legend, Henry Fonda as Arizona Marshall, Simon Fry. Allen Case plays the DEPUTY, Clay McCord. Henry Fonda's character drifts in and out of the episodes, with Case being the main lead.

In this episode, the second the series, Marshall Fry (Fonda) stops off to see his sometimes Deputy, Clay McCord. (Case) Their talk is interrupted by a group of yahoo's riding through town firing their guns into the air. Fonda suggests to Case, that maybe he should have a look into the matter. Case responds that it just a few of the young lads blowing off steam. Fonda nods and heads off to the next town.

The older sister, Katherine McLeod, of one of the young men, Jon Ashley, comes a calling on Deputy Case. She tells Case that the young lads are falling under the influence of the town thug, Richard Shannon. Case tells the woman he will have a look into the matter.

Case finds Ashley and company tipping a few at the local saloon. Case tells Ashley that he arranged a job for the young man. He is to help the town Sheriff, Wallace Ford, bring in a load of gold from a local mine. There is of course a dust up between Shannon and Case with Shannon collecting a mouthful of knuckles from Case.

The next day, Ford, and his new helper, Ashley, are bushwhacked by Shannon and several other low life types. Deputy Case though has been keeping an eye on Shannon and company, and intervenes. Iron is yanked and lead flies aplenty with the criminal types getting a serious overdose of the (other) heavy metal.

This is an entertaining episode that has former big screen man, David Butler in the directing chair. Of note here is the writer of the episode, N.B. Stone Jr. Stone wrote the story and screenplays for the superb westerns, MAN WITH THE GUN and Randolph Scott's last film, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY.

Re: Western TV: THE DEPUTY "The Wild Wind" 1959

The Deputy (1959) - The Wild Wind (1959)

Great headline to your review!