Western : What are the best Westerns that feature a Mexican/Mexican-American...

What are the best Westerns that feature a Mexican/Mexican-American...

...main protagonist?

I'd prefer to avoid any examples of brownface, if at all possible.

---
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing .

Re: What are the best Westerns that feature a Mexican/Mexican-American..

Just to be clear, by brownface, do you mean a white actor playing a hispanic/mexican character? Just asking, cause I get irked when a white actor plays an Indian.

anyway, Pedro Armendáriz is a well regarded mexican actor and you'll find him in several popular westerns including 3 Godfathers & The Wonderful Country. My personal favorite is Fort Apache, he has a co-starring role in it but it's a very important one.

Anthony Quinn is another very popular actor with a laundry list of very popular western titles in his resume. Some of my favorites are Warlock, Last Train from Gun Hill, The Ox-bow Incident & Ride Vaquero!.

Diego Luna has a significant co-starring role in Open Range.

Fernando Lamas, father of Lornezo Lamas, stars in 100 Rifles.

Katy Jurado has prominent roles in lots of westerns including High Noon & Broken Lance and many others.

Just to be clear, by brownface, do you mean a white actor playing a hispanic/mexican character? Just asking, cause I get irked when a white actor plays an Indian.

Indeed. I call a Caucasian/white person playing an Amerindian to be engaging in "redface".

---

Caesar Romero, born in NYC of Cuban parents, starred as the Cisco Kid in six films from 1939 to 1941. One of the actors who took over the series after Romero was Mexican-born Gilbert Roland who also made six Cisco Kid films. Rare examples of accurate ethnic casting in classic era Hollywood.

The Latino sounding Duncan Renaldo, who made Cisco Kid films and played the character in the TV series, was born in Romania.

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.

Thank you.

---

The character or the actor?

Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, also known as "The Rat", in The Good The Bad And The Ugly, possibly the best western ever made, possibly the best movie ever made.

Tuco is a very compelling character, although he may be too villainous. I know Mexicans and Mexican-Americans often got stereotyped with bandit roles, so now I'm also wondering if an American or European western made between the 1900s through 1970s actually had a protagonist that was a Mexican lawman, or otherwise a good fellow if not police.

"A New Kind of Man" (John Foxx, 1980):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4oi-PRbN4

Pedro Armendáriz is the most recognizable Hispanic actor I know of in American movies that plays good guys roles, most notably in some John Ford Westerns, Fort Apache and 3 Godfathers.

I think also Anthony Quinn in Man from Del Rio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Wmo60KuSE

Probably, it's one of my top westerns, but Eli Wallach isn't Mexican, he's Jewish.

Jewish is not a nationality. There are Jews in Mexico. Wallach is ineligible to be named in this thread because he was born in NYC from parents who had emigrated from Poland.

mf

Wallach is ineligible to be named in this thread because he was born in NYC from Jewish parents who had emigrated from Poland.

there, fixed it.

Ashkenazi and Sephardic, anyone?

---

One of the major anti-Semitic beliefs is that Jews are outsiders, never a citizen of the country they lived in. In The Stranger (1946), Nazi hunter Edward G. Robinson realized that Orson Welles is a Nazi escapee because he describes a scientist as "he was not German, he was Jewish." That is the reason I had to point out that being Jewish was not a nationality. It is a shame that, at this date, well into the 21st century, it is still necessary to say it. Being Jewish has nothing at all to do with whether or not Eli Wallach could play a Mexican bandit. Anyone who thinks it is, should examine his (or her) conscience.

mf

Being Jewish has nothing at all to do with whether or not Eli Wallach could play a Mexican bandit.

For the purpose of staying on topic of this thread, him being anything but a Mexican is what was being pointed out.

What are the best Westerns that feature a "Mexican/Mexican-American"..

Eli Wallach was not a Mexican or a Mexican American. If he was a Jewish Mexican then your rant may have bearing but his bio gives no indication that he was.

Well said!

---

Emilio Fernández in in the Wild Bunch and other films.

There are a few Hispanics in Westerns that play Mexicans.

Aldo Sambrell (Spanish) was in a lot of Spaghetti Westerns
Tomas Milian (Cuban/American) starred in a lot of Spaghetti Westerns.

Antonio Aguilar is a famous Mexican actor & singer. He has a significant role in The Undefeated 1969

Alfonso Bedoya The Big Country, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Fernando Sancho.
Always in roles of mexicans in spaghetti-Westerns, but really was of spanish origin.

A picture of him:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/images/4/47/Fernando_sancho_in_a_pistol_for_ringo-1-.jpg

The Revenant-AGI

AGI?

---

Unfortunately, you may consider this an example of Brownface, but my favorite movie Mexican ever is actually the Italian Pedro Sanchez, whose real name was Ignacio Spalla. I live near Mexico and many of my family members are of Mexican descent and I can attest that Spalla's portrayals of Mexican outlaws are 100% authentic. Most of my wife's relatives who have heard of him assumed he was a genuine Mexican.

If you want a genuine Mexican actor, I would say Quinn in Guns for San Sebastian.

Huh. Interesting tidbit.

---