Western : Good old-fashioned fistfights in Westerns (links included)

Re: Good old-fashioned fistfights in Westerns (links included)

I think this should be on your list but it is from a TV show instead of a film. I think it's the most realistic fight scene of any Western. It is also quite graphic at a point near the end so it's not for the squeamish.

From Deadwood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis

This one managed to elude everybody, but it's an all-time great nonetheless.

Burt Lancaster vs. Ossie Davis in The Scalphunters (I intend to search for a version that isn't incorrectly formatted, but until then, I hope this one suffices):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1wr_yTtnb8

Cheers.

Btw Idiocrat, that's a damned nice inclusion. True, movies are the primary source of interest, but a good tv scrap is most welcome. Thanks!

"...if that was off, I'd be whoopin' your ass up and down this street." ~ an irate Tarantino

I love this post.

Luck Of The Irish

I do also. I wish more people would comment.

Baby I'm Yours

You guys bring tears to my eyes

To show my appreciation for your support, here's one I uploaded a little while back but never bothered to post it here.

Ron Starr vs. a trio of tough (or not so tough) guys in Ride the High Country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTz14nQdnQ

Hopefully I got some others, preferrably mano-a-mano, on the way soon!

"...if that was off, I'd be whoopin' your ass up and down this street." ~ an irate Tarantino

Excellent. Thanks for all the posts.

Baby I'm Yours

Alright ya'll, I gotta credit tmwest once again for an outstanding suggestion.

If you want a down-and-dirty slugfest, then you need look no farther than the following.

Dick Powell vs. Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams in Station West:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZee6XQy0Ws

Cheers!

Awesome! Thanks.

Baby I'm Yours

I really think Clint Walker was the strongest guy of all. What a build the guy has!

Baby I'm Yours

Boy have I got some doozies for ya yiz (well, for the 2 people who still care about this topic)!

Though ambivalence abounds when calling The Spoilers a western, it still contains what is probably the finest fight scene in cinema history. Here is an updated link for it, courtesy of moi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3nJegtM0A

And I'd hate to spoil the sanctity of this thread with a non-western scrap, but I figured you wouldn't mind seeing Scott's and Wayne's other showdown. It isn't nearly as epic as the other one, but it's still damned glorious. Here it is in Pittsburgh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-GB7inALw

And here we have a brutal fight in a dingy tavern that has to be one of the best bar fights ever. Behold Robert Mitchum vs. Robert Mitchum in Blood on the Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=467PwKFygbE

And though not my favorite, I figured you wouldn't mind seeing Randolph Scott in another battle, this time with Forrest Tucker in Coroner Creek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRHdOL-QWw

Enjoy, all you sadists

Thanks. Some more super fights here.

Nicely done!

Baby I'm Yours

Another great Scott fight/saloon dust-up, vs. Don Megowan in A Lawless Street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQV4ijDpXZE

Wow! Another great fight scene.

Baby I'm Yours

Also, not bad..."Red River". John Wayne vs. Montgomery Clift. But it was too short.

Baby I'm Yours

I appreciate the fact that you're still the only loyal participant in this thread, but that was a pretty lousy excuse for a bump seeing as how that fight was mentioned in my first post.

But you're right, it is far too short; I actually removed it from Youtube because of its brevity. The whole ending is pretty bizarrely disappointing.

Anyhow, don't fret: I have two premium dust-ups for yas, featuring our man Randy Scott.

For the entire 2 souls interested, here they are:

Randolph Scott vs. Robert Ryan in Return of the Bad Men:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seeBRkvS1Bo

Randolph Scott vs. Jock Mahoney in Santa Fe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDAXatq6Q1c

You're bound to come across a quality fray in a Scott western, as this thread illustrates. I know of at least a couple more that will probably be up in the near future. He tumbled with Lon Chaney Jr. in Albuquerque, but it was ridiculous, so I scrapped it.

Remember, you or anybody interested can be notified of these immediately upon posting if you subscribed to my account...

Sorry about the bump, buddy. I didn't realize you had included that fight.

I really enjoyed these last two fights.

What do you mean about subscribing to your account?

Baby I'm Yours

Here's a great, gritty fight from a spaghetti western called Vengeance.

Richard Harrison vs. Goffredo Unger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS0Yo459KFM

By the way, a couple months ago, youtube blackballed me and removed my Shane videos. A shame, since they are excellent fights. Ah well.

And when I say "subscribe to my account", I mean my actual youtube account where most of these come from. If you're a youtube member, you're automatically notified everytime I upload a new video. Just a thought...

Those are some more great fight scenes.

Thanks.

Baby I'm Yours

The climax of CALIFORNIA has one of the most brutal fistfights in any western!
Giuliano Gemma dukes it out with the villain of the piece.
They go through a brick wall in it!

It tops the MAN OF THE WEST fist fight in the brutality department.

A 3-D Spaghetti Western rereleased to theatres cominatyanoir3d.com Comin' soon!

It was a brutal fight scene.

Baby I'm Yours

As that vocal-shredding band of pituitary cases once shrieked, I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN. I'M BAAAAAAACK.

Dig this. Though interest is almost non-existent at this point, this thread'll never die, ya folla? So let's get down to the most recent updates to the greatest thread still running on the internet database dedicated to the cateloguing and discssion of movies.

A purty, cleaned-up copy of that brief but rockin' sock-fest between Rock and Kirk that everyone seems to love so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHiAsgm2yl0

An endorphine catalyst of a fight, Don Murray vs. Richard Egan in These Thousand Hills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NzTH1kdxKI

Finally, one I've waited and pined for for a vewwwwwwy long time. One of the best straight-up fistfights ever recorded, Rod Taylor vs. Ernest Borgnine in Chuka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3ZOcCOhPE

This helping oughta last for quite some time!

Ah yes, the fistfight in Chuka is outstanding. The same film contains a great drinking contest between Taylor and James Whitmore as well.

Was the fistfight in the 1939 movie "Wichita" mentioned earlier in the thread?

"I noticed when you get to DISlikin' somebody they ain't around long neither"

Wow! Love these fight scenes, especially the one with Kirk and Rock. I never realized how big and intimidating Rock was.

Luck Of The Irish

I'm sorry, but I guess I don't see what everybody else does in the Rock/Kurt showdown...

But hell, thanks for the support, and for giving me a ripe opportunity to BUMP this topic before it slides into bandwidth oblivion for eternity

Let's keep this topic going.

Above It All

Rupert you a-hole

Sorry, but we don't make exceptions here. Your lurid fantasy of wrestling with Sean Connery in a small, enclosed space concluded by him spraying you in the face with white stuff is totally irrelevant, and it fatally derailed the progress of this thread.

Eff you a thousand times over!

Another One

Charles Bronson vs. George Hamilton in "A Thunder of Drums." A highly unlikely duo brawling, but very entertaining.

Baby I'm Yours

Re: Another One

Let's keep them coming.

On My Own

John Wayne vs. Albert Dekker in In Old Oklahoma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYb6yxRRgE

Just to ensure that this thread isn't wiped off the IMDb radar anytime soon.

By the way, I'd like to thank the people who have kept this thread alive for the 2+ years, namely masterman, who has shown great enthusiasm for every entry, and douglas.

masterman, I've tried for a long time to get a hold of A Thunder of Drums, to no avail. Ditto with The Nevadan, which features another Scott/Tucker brawl (I think Jock Mahoney doubles for Scott.) Other than that, I'm afraid, I'm plum out of suggestions.

Worse yet, my Youtube account has been compromised what with its recent alignment with google. My old password won't work anymore, meaning I might not be able to log into my account ever again. Hopefully I can get this rectified.

Cheers.

Hi SeanJoyce

No, I did not recall that you were an avid fan of fisticuffs.

This is a great thread--one which I had not seen before. I intend to review the clips this weekend.

No connection of course, but at first glance I was going to surmise this thread the creation of that notorious and woeful loon from the FG board. Ostensibly, he claims movie-fights to be a longtime, 'cerebral' passion of his; but its quite clear that he's passionate about them in a much more graphic, sweaty, and ..err, 'pungent' way.

I don't think I need mention his name here. Anyway, cheers!

Strel

"God rot all 'good men'...."

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, Sean Joyce. I love it.

Baby I'm Yours

Hey Strel...I've actually been surprised by your absence in this thread for the nearly 2 and a half years it's been in existence.

No, I did not recall that you were an avid fan of fisticuffs.

Perhaps my faculties are too dim at the moment to be able to detect whether that's sarcasm or genuine ignorance, but we've traded off on several such topics on CFB.

As for the "loon", his presence was actually kept at a minimum here, and he gave me a slam dunk...suppose I have no call to vituperate him.

I collected all of the clips thus far in the OP, for your convenience and others.

I hope you enjoy, and I'd love to hear some feedback, as well as any suggestions we all might've missed.

Cheers!

Strel contributes: 'Arrowhead' (1953)

Heh heh. Okay SeanJoyce, yeah as I was writing my message I kinda recalled that we had recently discussed Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee.

But if that hadn't happened I might still not have associated you with martial arts topics per se.

Next: this thread. I'm fairly new to 'Westerns' board so its no mystery why I've never seen this thread. I've only been coming here a few months now.

Its a fine effort--I must applaud you.
(Although at points throughout its body, you seem to deliberately throw a guilt trip on any IMDB'er who happens not to be participating, lol what's up with that? ha)

Okay so, what are my contributions to this thread so far? Well, none yet. I'm new to the topic so you should allow me some time to muster my thoughts. And you also want very specific types of fighting. Mano a' mano --and longish. That's going to take some speculatin'.

Off the top of my head I thought of a couple obscure westerns with a one-on-one fistfight but its the length which is the obstacle. Fights which last a long time are tough to find.

First: what about James Garner in 'Duel at Diablo'? He plays an army scout who's indian squaw wife has been raped/slain by a Union officer. (This is a side story to the main narrative, which is about a cavalry stand-off). Anyway he finally tracks the officer down and beats the chit out of him. But it may involve a knife and it may be 'over too fast' for you.

'A Man Called Noon' (a movie which is a combo western/espionage film) also has a fight--Richard Crenna against some bunkhouse lout--but interesting to me because its a western fight with some 'foreign' moves. Crenna uses a judo-like shoulder-throw at one point.

Another one: 'Walk like A Dragon' starring Jack Lord. Its a western with a martial arts slant. Vague recollection of a fight there.

Charles Bronson in 'Chino'? Bar fight?

Terence Hill in 'My Name is Nobody'?

Oh well. These are all 'small potatoes'. So nevermind. Here's my big ammo. I notice that there's no mention yet of Chuck Heston vs Jack Palance in 'Arrowhead' (1953).

The fight is the climax of the movie. Its unarmed. It lasts for several minutes and both men are evenly matched.

'Arrowhead'. Check it out. Entire movie on Youtube, fight stars at 1:37.
http://youtu.be/HlEaZvDod3M?t=1h37m18s

Strel contributes: 'Day of the Evil Gun' (1968)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062865/

Much-admired tv movie from 1968 (which was so good it was re-released theatrically) stars Glen Ford and Arthur Kennedy.

This is a two-fisted, bruising, hard-knuckled fistfight between two evenly matched opponents. It takes place in a creek and lasts quite a while. Pretty ferocious.

Ford plays an ex gunfighter who has given up his guns to return home to a woman he left behind. He finds she has been kidnapped by Indians and in her place is the new man who had taken over his place in her bed; (Kennedy).

These two men hate each other but reluctantly decide to team up to rescue the woman.

I can not find the movie on Youtube, sorry.

Strel contributes: 'The Horse Soldiers' (1959)

William Holden vs John Wayne. A knock-down, drag-out fight 'in private, stripes off' out in the woods somewhere.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052902/

Can't find video for it.

I believe there's also fight in 'Firecreek' or 'Welcome to Hard Times'? Whichever one stars Henry Fonda as the villain and James Stewart as the good guy. One of Fonda's gang (the actor who played Jethro Bodine) beats hell out of someone.

Oh! And what about Steve McQueen in 'Nevada Smith'? Not just the knife fight vs Martin Landau; but isn't there a fight in the swamp with one of the other men he's after? He has to get himself thrown into prison to locate him? Outrageous.

Re: Strel contributes: 'The Horse Soldiers' (1959)

Thankee Strel for watching and chiming in.

My criteria for a "good fight scene" is as follows: 1. At least a commendable defense by the eventual loser. One-sided beatdowns may serve the narrative, but any scuffle totally devoid of competition won't find its way into my collection. 2. It has to have SOME length to it; I'm not demanding the fleet-sized fist extravaganza that you're implying, but what good is a 30 second scrap? Generally, at least the 1-minute barrier meets my totally-arbitrary precept.

In regards to your recs, I will say that I've seen the tussel in Arrowhead, and I think it's quite pathetic actually. Nothing but a test of strength and then some rolling around on the ground. It's a shame, because a Heston-Palance showdown surges with potential (though it wouldn't in real life.) I've heard that Holden and Wayne's contest in The Horse Soldiers is an incredible disappointment...nothing but a ton of build-up with no pay-off. I suppose I should see it for myself to be a proper judge.

I'm eager to track down the other ones. Day of the Evil Gun (which seems to integrate some of the themes from The Last Sunset) sounds particularly promising, both as a film and a fight.

Thanks again, and I'll report back here with my findings. Hopefully, I can get the youtube issue cleared away so I can continue to upload.

P.S. I neglected to include the fights from Man in the Saddle, Man of the West, and The Cowboys in the OP. Check 'em out if you haven't (I know you're a big fan of the last one.)

P.P.S. After a bit of research, it seems that there's a noteworthy bar fight between Dana Andrews and Ward Bond in Canyon Pssage. I've got my work cut out for me!

P.P.P.S. I've had it in mind for a while now to start a definitive "fight scene" thread over at CFB. I'll get to it eventually. I've also deliberated doing something like this over at the Film Noir board, but there's such a paucity of quality bang-em-ups that I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Cheers!

Re: Strel contributes: 'The Horse Soldiers' (1959)

I don't recall much going on in the Wayne/Holden match. I think each one gets to knock the other one down once and then something blows up and they have to postpone the match - which never happens. I doubt that either of them throws more than two punches.

It ain't easy being green, or anything else, other than to be me

you will thank me profusely

...for my introducing you to 'Day of the Evil Gun'

Never seen it? Never heard of it?

This alone makes up for all my other suggestions which you felt compelled to shoot down

It will be one of your favorite westerns, I am confident.

Feh! SeanJoyce, so-called fist-fight lover; has abandoned his own thread. Three days since the last exchange!

Thank you, titus_moody, for being one of the few earnest and sincere participants to this thread.

Are you that dejected that I didn't find Palance and Heston's bizarre hump extraordinaire as invigorating as you did?

In answer to your question, I have never heard of Day of the Evil Gun. It sounds like one of those closely-guarded goldmines that I love stumbling onto. I'm going to try to get to it soon.

And the only rec I really shot down was Arrowhead.

Palance and Bronson were both in Chato's Land (interestingly enough, this time Bronson's the Apache), but they frustratingly don't even have a scene together. I don't know how you could possibly get those two in the same movie and not have 'em duke it out. Would've been an epic one. I wonder if they got on well.

Cheers.

Thank you, titus_moody, for being one of the few earnest and sincere participants to this thread.

You're very welcome, Mr. Strelnikoff. My single contribution must have made quite an impression on you.

Another entry in the "Brawl" category:

THE DESPERADOES (1943) -- Big Boy Williams involved again.

"Howdy, Bub"

You're very welcome, Mr. Strelnikoff. My single contribution must have made quite an impression on you.

Yeah, I'm completely baffled by that as well (not that I didn't appreciate your "single contribution" )

Rolling chaw around one side of gumline to other, chewing thoughtfully...Strel squints off into distance, shielding eyes with flat of hand.

Spits viscous gob into dust at feet. Snaps suspenders against chest.

"Yep...yep..no gettin round it. Looks like you boys missed the last stage to Sarcasm 'bout n'hour ago..."

Not sure if it was already mentioned but there is a very late Italian Western called CALIFORNIA (1977) which has some very good fist fights in it. If fact they're so good that they decided to end the picture with the most face crushing scuffle of them all(!) as opposed to the usual gunfight that caps most of those movies.

For the finale Giuliano Gemma and Raimund Harmstorf trade punches and smash through brick walls before it all ends with an impalment.

100th POST!!!!!!

Wow, happy to see this thread's lasted as long as it has.

mazaldivar:

California has been mentioned. I downloaded the film, and the final fight is pretty good. Unfortunately, there are no subtitles, and the framing is all hacked up. Still, if I can, I may get it up there eventually.

Re: 100th POST!!!!!!

This thread is awesome, Sean. Thanks again.

Baby I'm Yours

Re: 100th POST!!!!!!

"California has been mentioned".

Ironically by me over a year ago! Jeez!