Western : What Westerns Have You Seen? Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr 2017 Edition

Re: What Westerns Have You Seen? Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr 2017 Edition

Quality viewings, and thank you!

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Hondo and the Apaches (1967)

Hondo and the Apaches (1967)

A Gift of Cochise.

Hondo and the Apaches is directed by Lee H. Katzin and adapted to screenplay by Andrew J. Fenady, which is based from a work by James Edward Grant, from a story titled A Gift of Cochise written by Louis L'Amour. It stars Ralph Taeger, Noah Beery Jr., Robert Taylor, John Smith, Kathie Brown and Michael Pate. Music is by Richard Markowitz and cinematography by Lester Shorr.

Not released theatrically in America, this is two episodes of the TV show "Hondo" spliced together for a release in Europe. Derived from the John Wayne character that headed up Hondo (1953), the plot pitches Hondo (Taeger) as a frontier scout who has a justifiable affinity with the Native Americans. He is sent to broker peace with the Apaches, but a renegade band want no part of it and Hondo must do all he can to avert a war.

It actually is better than it had right to be, because it's nicely performed, has pleasant scenery, and the characters in the main are not just throw away types. Throw in some decent action, a grumpy canine partner for Hondo and a musical score lifting from Bernstein's Magnificent Seven classic, and yer good to go. Taeger is appealing, the character fun (he punches a lot of people out/the rapport with the dog), whilst Taylor is on hand to add a bit of reassuring quality.

It is what it is really, a safe enough production for Western fans to enjoy while it's on. 6/10

Re: Hondo and the Apaches (1967)

I recall the movie, and the short-lived TV series it was derived from; I remember liking Traeger, who had a large, raw-boned frame, and Miss Browne. Hondo aired Friday nights on ABC, opposite the CBS juggernaut Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. and season 2 of Star Trek.

There was a somewhat similar series, also on ABC, one season earlier, based on Shane, starring David Carradine and Jill Ireland.

Re: Hondo and the Apaches (1967)

I definitely would have liked to have seen Traeger in more Western films, he's got a real good ironic stare on him.

Re: What Westerns Have You Seen? Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr 2017 Edition

Hey all and especially Spikeopath
I have read many of your reviews and you seem honest and fair in your assessments and comments of the westerns that you have watched.
I am an small time indie filmmaker from the UK and have just uploaded my first 60 minute western on Amazon called VERMIJO. I am not an expert filmmaker - more a hobbyist. bUt I really do try my very best at getting as near a professional looking film as I van get with a very limited budget.
I would be honoured if you and possibly a number of your friends and supporters would look at VERMIJO with a few to some constructive criticism. Yes I say constructive because there are enough "destructive" comments or reviews already on Amazon or IMDB that could give me cause to give up filmmaking for good.
But I love making westerns and would really appreciate some comments.
If you have AMAZON PRIME it is free to watch - if not please let me know and I can share the private link from YOUTUBE.
Thanks
Paul
paulv@

Paul
Indie Filmmaker & Photographer