Macbeth : Is Marion Cotillard the best Lady Macbeth ever?

Is Marion Cotillard the best Lady Macbeth ever?

Just wondering what's your opinion. I think her performance is absolutely amazing and she deserves an oscar nod.

Re: Is Marion Cotillard the best Lady Macbeth ever?

A hundred years ago I saw a young actress play Lady McB at Stratford.

One future Dame Helen Mirren.

A hundred years ago I saw a young actress play Lady McB at Stratford.

One future Dame Helen Mirren.

Malcolm, was it the production in which she starred opposite Nicol Williamson? I'm jealous of you, anyways. I'm sure she must have been a great Lady Macbeth. Luckily we got to see Nicol in the BBC series.

Good lord. I have just worked out how old I was when I went there and that would have been forty-two years ago so I can't remember anything but seeing her and being mesmerised by her acting.

Sorry I can't remember much about that evening other that mostly due to the amount of gin that's flowed under the bridge since that time.

Ok, don't worry. Thanks for answering, anyway.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Oh god, I have not seen many performances, but just from acting in general...absolutely sublime, havn't seen better this year yet. I would love to see her get the oscar for it.

You've seen it? Supporting actress is weak this year but it seems pretty settled: Mara, Winslet, Ladd, Leigh and Vikander.

I wasn't very impressed, but I suspect that was probably due to the director's choice of how the part should be played.

Couldn't agree more. Cotillard has already proved to be an extraordinary actress but she was a hundred times more evil and fearcing in Inception or even Batman than as Lady Macbeth.
It could easily have become one of her best performances ever, but it turned out to be a major disappointment.

The point Cotillard has been making in her interviews promoting this film is that Lady M is NOT evil in an external way, snarling and openly scheming. I liked this Lady M because she was pissed off as hell in the beginning, and determined to see her man get the crown any way necessary, but when proverbial push came to shove, and the bodies piled up, she began to fear retribution and show confusion and remorse. I also read the play again before seeing the movie and was surprised to find how few scenes Lady M has, with or without her husband. It's Macbeth's show.

Post deleted

Haven't seen this version yet, and she may well be Oscar worthy but she'll have to be something special to better Judi Dench's performance.

She is fantastic in everything movie I've seen so far. Can't wait to see what she can do with Lady M.

It's ok to like more than one actor. :))

It's a good performance - but Lady Macbeth's part in this version is very cut down - especially compared to previous versions(e.g. Polanski's).

No.

A bird sings and the mountain's silence deepens.

No I felt as if her character was massively sidelined

I'm not really sure what to make of it. The director and writer clearly understood nothing of the character, basically making her a poor, heartbroken woman who had lost a child (and sees his ghost after the madness scene *********########°°°°°°°°°°°°°°!!!!!!!!!!) and just becomes evil for a couple scenes to move the plot forward. So I guess it makes it harder to judge her performance. If the writers' intention was to make the character passive, boring and completely unthreatening, maybe she did a great job...

A much as it irks me to pay Cotillard a compliment, the only thing I'm forced to give to her is that she clearly has an ear for languages. Her Shakespearean English wasn't the real problem. Of course she delivered the "out, damned spot" line as she was washing her husband's shirt and couldn't get rid of a jam stain, but you can't have everything from life...

Seriously, I thought that the stigma of failure would be mostly on her, but the entire film is abysmal (and Fassbender's performance is arguably the worst in the entire film- hurts to say cause I'm a fan).

Yep, Fassbender is worse that Cottilard. I've never see a weak performance from him before. Major achievement from the director there.

Good afternoon, Poppy.

Yep, Fassbender is worse that Cottilard. I've never see a weak performance from him before. Major achievement from the director there.

I'm really scared because the same team is making another film. I really hope Fassy doesn't become Kurzel's muse, he already has McQueen to work with.

As for his Macbeth, he mostly looked like a boorish hooligan whose team has just lost a game. Further evidence that you can be a skilled actor, but can't just successfully take a stab at Shakespeare.

Good afternoon MrEb,

I'm really scared because the same team is making another film. I really hope Fassy doesn't become Kurzel's muse, he already has McQueen to work with
Well he's become successful hasn't he? It seems to be hard for successful actors, especially in a Hollywood system, to be critical about scripts. Even so he failed to deliver an interesting performance. The best scenes were the fight scenes and they used digital effects for those!

Nope. The greatest performance as Lady Macbeth on-screen will forever belong to Isuzu Yamada in Throne of Blood.

----

My Top 250 Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls071561044/

Post deleted

Yes, definetely! Her performance was so deep and splitting, and of course deserves not just an Oscar nod, but an award itself. This is surely one of her best roles.

Nolan, I love you forever!

NO!, That Honor belongs to Lady Asaji Washizu (Isuzu Yamada).
I Kill Kids!

And I'm sure it belongs to Lady Marion Cotillard.

Nolan, I love you forever!

Yep she is. On film or on stage, her performance is the best I have ever seen. Her "out damn spot" soliloquy was one of the most emotionally charged and effective readings of Shakespeare I have ever heard. What makes it more impressive is that English is her second language! She deserves a nomination for sure.

This is such a subjective question.

We all have our idea of what the "best" Lady Macbeth is; but our tastes and perceptions do change.

Marion Cotillard said that Lady Macbeth is a character with no light, something she has never played before.

I wanted to see this Macbeth for the fact that Marion was going to play Lady Macbeth, a complex, brilliant character in all of literature. I wanted to see her interpretation of it desperately.

I think Marion is one of the finest actresses of her generation, and I really do believe that one day she will achieve the same stature as Mirren or Dench.

You may not agree with her interpretation of Lady Macbeth, but I thought it was chilling. Her Lady Macbeth had indeed no light coming from her.

I do wish the film explored of why Lady Macbeth came to possess such dark ambitions. In the play, she mentioned Duncan resembling her father and therefore it was hard for her to do the deed herself, showing a soft side. She also had what Freudians would call "Penis Envy," as she wanted to be a man ("Unsex" me) to fulfill her ambitions.

I think any top actress can bring something fascinating to this character, but to assess whether something subjective is the "best" of anything is a fool's errand.

transcendcinema.blogspot.com

No. It's hard to know how much blame lies with the actress or how much with the direction, but Cotillard was alarmingly poor, I thought. She seemed to be striving hard to make Lady Macheth sympathetic, not at all how the role should be tackled in my opinion. Her teary monologues were the weak spot of the film. Michael Fassbender and Sean Harris were outstanding by comparison.

I'm not sure that was Cotillard's fault. I haven't read Macbeth in ages, but I don't recall the Macbeths losing a child in the play. So this "they're sad cus they lost a kid" is a new development (I think). So if Cotillard acts weepy, that's not her fault. That's the scriptwriter's and director's vision to make her "sympathetic."

I don't agree with their vision. Lady Macbeth simply is an ambitious character with deep envy. The directors thought it was necessary to add a child's death to make her demented or evil. Some people are the way they are.

transcendcinema.blogspot.com

Marion is the best Lady Dior ever

LOLOLOL, no.

She is supreme.

One of the worst actresses in history, I kept wishing it was somebody else all throughout the film.

Lady Macbeth

I didn't like the treatment of Lady Macbeth. They didn't understand her at all. Earlier in the play she is a very powerful and domineering character. I didn't get that vibe from this Lady Macbeth.

Francesca Annis >>>>>> Marion

------__@
----_`\<,_
___(*)/ (*)____
» nec spe,nec metu •´¯`» Jean Seberg & Little Irene: https://i.imgur.com/V6SVNPP.gif

Post deleted

Haven't seen this movie yet, but plan to. I personally like Francesca Annis from Polanski's 1971 version, and Kate Fleetwood from the 2010 "Great Performances" version. Granted, both performances are EXTREMELY different, but I just really like both of them. Annis's performance has an almost impish quality to it, and who can ever forget Fleetwood's seriously scary performance? She turns Lady Macbeth into a fricking man-eater!