Harry Potter : Harry Potter and the Weasley family

Harry Potter and the Weasley family

While I know that they weren't relatives but does anybody else wish that Harry Potter could have been allowed to live with the Weasleys instead of the Dursleys, even since they treated him way better then the Dursleys did. There would have bene no way thy would have tore up any Hogwarts letters or burn them in the fire like Vernon did in the first book and movie. Remember the way Mrs Weasley treated Harry in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets even through she barely knew him, since the only really meeting that they would have been in the first book and movie at the train station. And they never really introduced themselves to each other.

Re: Harry Potter and the Weasley family

I doubt anyone wishes that HP had to stay with the Dursleys at all. They were horrible to him. But it all had to to do with Dumbledore's protective charm which could only remain effective if he came back to the Dursleys.

I've seen mentioned that as a baby he needed to be alongside blood relatives for shielding magic to work. While he all but walks out on them in POA movie, I seem to recall that there was some more Dursley stuff through more of the books. OOTP film he's back hangin' with them again, at the park with Dudley.
That could've been touched on with the movies, not sure why not.

...top 50 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056413299/

Protection charm notwithstanding, had Harry lived with the Weasleys and grown up in the wizarding world, there would have been certain things to consider:

1) Voldemort still had supporters. The Weasleys would've been in danger from the moment they took Harry in.

2) Assuming no harm came to Harry or the Weasleys, the attention, awe, and adoration that Harry would've received would have gone to his head. This was one of Dumbledore's biggest fears, that Harry would become too arrogant and conceited if he was raised up in the wizarding world. Could you really see Mrs. Weasley treat Harry the same way she'd treat one of her children? Would she ever yell at him the way she yelled at Fred, George, or Ron or discipline him in the way she disciplined her own flesh and blood?

Growing up with the Dursleys was the best option Dumbledore had. He could've raised Harry in secret, training him from day 1 on how to be a capable wizard when Voldemort came back, with Snape teaching him from a very young age as well. Harry would've been the wizard world equivalent to a Spartan warrior when he began to attend Hogwarts, but that's not what was best for him. It was better for him to get a perspective of what it was like to live as a normal human being for as long as possible before finding out that he was some sub-culture celebrity (and possibly that culture's messiah)

As an addendum, even Dumbledore acknowledges that he could've hedged his bets more effectively when it came to Harry. For all of his talk about how love was the most powerful magic in the world, when it came down to it, Dumbledore had to make a choice: Do I trust my feelings or do I trust logic?

Logically, Dumbledore should have raised Harry up and taught him everything about the deeper mysteries of magic. A primary education of magic with the world's greatest wizard would have done wonders. With that sort of training, Harry would have been a force to be reckoned with, throughout any of his duels.

But Dumbledore threw logic out. He chose his intuition. He knew that Harry would be in danger until Voldemort was completely vanquished and he knew that wouldn't happen for a very long time. The only thing that could protect Harry's life would be that charm. If Lily had had any other family in the world, they would have been a damn sight better for Harry to stay with, but alas, there was only Aunt Petunia. Dumbledore placed a lot of faith in his ideas about love, and ultimately it worked out, but it still wasn't the smart decision. It was just the right one.

Apparently he had to live with the Dursleys for his own protection. but I still think Dumbeldore could have done something to make them treat harry better - it would have been quite easy to frighten them.

Frightening them might have made Dursley's reject Harry altogether .. which would have been worse

A lot of the good things about Harry's character developed because he was so poorly treated by the Dursleys. all a master plan by DD

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
That's what she said

I would think that they would have rejected anyways and he had magical powers that they didn't have and I am sure that they all were jealous of.

I think it is doubtful if being abused and neglected is really beneficial to a person's character - harry may have turned out oaky despite the Dursleys, but not because of them.

I think that Harry should have stayed at the Dursley's. DONT GET MAD AT ME I love Harry, but it was necessary. Because of the protective charm, and the fact that if he would've grown up in a wizarding home it would've completely ruined it. He would know about his popularity and become a completely different person.

You do have to remember hat they didn't treat him as good, both Mr. and Mrs Weasley treated Harry Potter like the son that they never had. Could you have seen Mr. or mrs Weasley did anything to Harry that Vernon and Petunia did? No but sadly he he wasn't related to them, and sadly he was related to a jealous family that wished that they were magical.

mr and Mrs Weasley have lots of sons. But if harry had grown up in a wizarding family it would have been much less dramatic. harry getting used to the wizarding world is a part of what makes the first book in particular interesting. But that could have been done withput making the Dursleys so horrible. For instance, aunt petunia might have wanted to keep knowledge of the wizarding world from harry because she was afraid for his safety, or because she hated magic because it killed her sister, something like that. it could have been done without making the dursleys so monstrous.

I think Jo could've written the Dursleys a lot more realistically. I can understand their feelings toward the wizarding world and not giving a lot of love to Harry for various reasons, but their treatment and Harry's reactions to his psychological abuse are way too over the top and unbelievable. But like Bill Murray's "Caddyshack" Augusta fantasy golfer, Harry is a real Cinderella story.

Yes, because there is no such thing like abusive foster parents in real life.

Intelligence and purity.

the difference with Harry is that Dumbledore could easily have stopped the Dursleys abusing harry if he had wanted to. But mysteriously, he doesn't. That's why i think a different sort of upbringing for harry would have been more believable, for me anyway. i simply couldn't understand why Dumbledore didn't do something.

the difference with Harry is that Dumbledore could easily have stopped the Dursleys abusing harry if he had wanted to. But mysteriously, he doesn't. That's why i think a different sort of upbringing for harry would have been more believable, for me anyway. i simply couldn't understand why Dumbledore didn't do something.

This I can agree with. It is really awful that Dumbledore didn't do anything to stop all the crap, that the Dursleys kept putting Harry through. Or indeed, that he allowed Snape to teach despite his prejudices against Gryffindors. But I guess that JKR wanted poor Harry to have these abusive foster parents and this bully for a teacher, just to create more unnecessary drama for him. And thus, Dumbledore had to become an ineffective jerk in that reguard.

Intelligence and purity.

It is really awful that Dumbledore didn't do anything to stop all the crap, that the Dursleys kept putting Harry through

What if anything could he have done I mean that was taking place at their home and not even at Hogwarts

He could have said "I'll be watching you closer than what you can ever imagine. So if you mistreat Harry in any way, I will know that. And if that happens, someone will come for a visit to talk to you about it".

It wouldn't have made the Dursleys love Harry, but things would still have been different...

Intelligence and purity.

Haha Harry Potter what a nice film. I can remember then when i do watch the film with my girl who bears Tolu she works on her blog (http://www.diabetestipshub.com/) from home and at the same time watch the film.

It was nice film but i wasn't chance to watch it finish but with the little i was really impress

I know there are story explanations for it, like blood magic and family protection and all of that. But I personally believe it's a lot of malarkey, just story telling devices to make us feel more sympathetic towards Harry when we see what kind of life he leads and to make his journey into the magical world all that more fantastic. But they could have protected Harry from within the wizard world if they truly wanted to. Just let everyone think that he had died, rather than making him out to be some legend of "the boy who lived". Pretend he died and really stick to that cover story, use some magic to give him orange hair and stick him with the Weasley's. Nobody would think twice about the Weasley's having another baby in the house. I think he'd be safer surrounded by and watched over by a group of powerful wizards at all times, rather than stuffed away with a couple of muggles who have no interest in protecting him from anything and wouldn't be able to if they ever had to.

I think Rowling could have done a much better job of writing the Dursley characters. They didn't need to be as doting as Mrs. Weasley, but their abuse of Harry was totally unrealistic unless it's a Brothers' Grimm fairly tale.

Anyone who knows anything about child emotional abuse, and Jo was smart enough to know herself, suffer horrendously when it comes to such traits as self-esteem and trust and forming relationships with others. Harry should have been cowering and shaking in a corner when Hagrid first appeared, never coming forward and saying "I'm Harry."

Sorry if I'm hypercritical. After my first read and when rewatching the movies (except for DH1) I skip over anything that has to do with the Dursley's.

I do the Dursleys are very mean