Harry Potter : Why Isn't J.K. Rowling Just Honest About the Whole Hermione Thing?

Why Isn't J.K. Rowling Just Honest About the Whole Hermione Thing?

Now, let me say right off the bat that I am a HUGE J.K. Rowling fan. I've read the Harry Potter series at least four or five times and am currently reading it again - very slowly, over the last year or so to really enjoy it. One of my fondest memories of my kids growing up is reading the entire series to my youngest son during the evenings when he was going to bed. I've enjoyed her Cormoran Strike novels too (although not nearly as much, of course).

As a person I think she's wonderful - wildly creative and incredibly generous with her fortune, giving literally tens of millions away (if not more).

But why has she twisted herself into a pretzel acting like Hermione might have been black in the Harry Potter books? She clearly wasn't; saying that the comment in POA when her 'white' face was mentioned might have just been referring to a black young lady having a scare, or similar nonsense when it's pointed out that there are several instances where it mentions her turning pale. She stated it when other characters are black, like Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson - it seems pretty odd that she would have neglected to mention it even once in seven novels about one of the three primary characters.

It appears to me that it would have been more honest and much easier to say, "Yes, Hermione was white in the novels but I have no problem with Noma Dumezweni playing her on stage in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Color-blind casting has been around for years in the theater and I think she's terrific."

Again, nothing against J.K. Rowling, whom I adore. It just seems like it was an odd way to handle the issue - which never would have come up if they hadn't cast Noma Dumezweni in the play. Is she afraid that she'll come off as racist if all three were white? I can't believe that. It feels very retcon-ny to me - and that series doesn't need any improvements!

Just my two cents worth.

Whistling Wolf should get more camera time . . . he’s like a young Pacino!

Re: Why Isn't J.K. Rowling Just Honest About the Whole Hermione Thing?

I agree with you 100%.

Earth without art is just "eh."

Well said. I don't understand why she is getting mad that fans can pick up on Hermione being white when that is clearly how she imagined her when she wrote the books. I just find her lacking class when she turns against the fans for that. Like you said she could still be supportive of the actress without being dishonest.

When your mind breaks the spirit of your soul.

I too agree with you.

Intelligence and purity.

Its clearly a PC thing. Like you I think its quite bewildering that there is any argument that Hermione is white. There are countless official book illustrations, and more than enough evidence in the books, not to mention the casting of the movies which she was very much a part of which makes it clear. I personally have no big issue with a black actress playing the character, but to try and insist that the character wasn't meant to be white is quite silly.

I haven't seen her insisting that Hermione was never meant to be white. I interpreted what she said about fans bringing up the "white as paper" line as her saying that that line is a weak justification to deny a great actress the role just because she's not white. She said "Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute enthusiasm and blessing." I see no retcon there, just her giving her blessing for the casting.

The author reiterated in the interview what she's pointed out before: Hermione's skin color was never mentioned in the books.

"I had a bunch of racists telling me that because Hermione 'turned white' -- that is, lost color from her face after a shock -- that she must be a white woman, which I have a great deal of difficulty with,"

http://www.cnet.com/news/j-k-rowling-on-reaction-to-a-black-hermione-idiots-were-going-to-idiot/

It isn't about the casting there. She is trying to justify the line with that Hermione just lost color from her face and saying that it doesn't mean she is white in the books.

When your mind breaks the spirit of your soul.

Thanks for the comment.

When the casting news first broke last year, Rowling tweeted this: "Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione."

As I've stressed, I love J.K. Rowling and have no problem with color-blind casting (my favorite film of all time has Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves as half-brothers) or with Ms. Rowling loving black Hermione, but saying 'white skin was never specified' is the kind of thing I was referring to when I said "she twisted herself into a pretzel acting like Hermione might have been black in the Harry Potter books".

She wasn't. I don't believe it was ever even discussed until Noma Dumezweni was cast in the play.

Whistling Wolf should get more camera time . . . he’s like a young Pacino!

"Much Ado About Nothing" is also one of my favorite films (and next to Zefferelli's "Romeo and Juliette" my favorite Shakespeare movie.) Denzel and Keanu were written to be Spanish IIRC but IMO they were perfectly cast. Keanu has been slammed pretty bad over the years, but I think he showed a perfect shiftiness as the (probably busterd) half brother.

I completely agree.

Rowling is simply trying to stay relevant. It's the same thing where she tweeted or whatever that Dumbledore was gay. Was it in the books? no. Does it keep her name in a contemporary societal conversation? yes. She can't seem to let it die in peace, rather has to make offshoots to the series and future books. She is going to George Lucas her own franchise.

DON'T CLICK >>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1lID8S_Y70

That 'being' a colour is still a thing is why we're all going to hell.

*beep* colours. If you've got air in your lungs, you can play the *beep* part.

...top 50 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056413299/

alot of authors are sell outs

Cassandra Clare said if Magnus bane wasnt chinese she would be very upset then on the same breath said I dont care what races the other characters are.

http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/23181390945/magnus

cant find it on twitter but her is what she said about Magnus

https://twitter.com/Goslingsawagrin/status/596343845492752386

I cant find the orginal

authors are basically sell outs

sparklingly
Well said. I don't understand why she is getting mad that fans can pick up on Hermione being white when that is clearly how she imagined her when she wrote the books. I just find her lacking class when she turns against the fans for that. Like you said she could still be supportive of the actress without being dishonest.

well see how authors change there views all the time even though its there characters

RbDeraj
Rowling is simply trying to stay relevant. It's the same thing where she tweeted or whatever that Dumbledore was gay. Was it in the books? no. Does it keep her name in a contemporary societal conversation? yes. She can't seem to let it die in peace, rather has to make offshoots to the series and future books. She is going to George Lucas her own franchise.

she is a mulitmillionare you think she cares now?

TwoThousandOneMark
That 'being' a colour is still a thing is why we're all going to hell.

*beep* colours. If you've got air in your lungs, you can play the *beep* part.

so you wouldnt care if luke cage was played white even though his character is black

Look like Tarzan talk like Jane! HAHA

Because everything has to be PC. That's assuming she has control over her press. I'm sure people can be quite deceptive when relaying a message. Even if the actress that played hermione in The Cursed Child is black doesn't mean that we have to see the character as black.

We have what we seek, it is there all the time, and if we give it time, it will make itself known.

theOnlyOutsider
Because everything has to be PC. That's assuming she has control over her press. I'm sure people can be quite deceptive when relaying a message. Even if the actress that played hermione in The Cursed Child is black doesn't mean that we have to see the character as black.

Oh then why didnt she explain Herimone Granger was black on black surprise surprise some whites have fuzzy hair

louiseculmer
well, in the books she is described as having bushy brown hair and brown eyes. therefore. I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch to see her as black girl, whereas it would be quite difficult to picture her as one if says the books had described her as blonde and blue eyed or something. I mean, bushy brown hair and brown eyes could fit a black girl quite well.

so brown means black? Did you know some indians have black hair and brown skin and brown hair

Look like Tarzan talk like Jane! HAHA

well, in the books she is described as having bushy brown hair and brown eyes. therefore. I suppose it isn't too much of a stretch to see her as black girl, whereas it would be quite difficult to picture her as one if says the books had described her as blonde and blue eyed or something. I mean, bushy brown hair and brown eyes could fit a black girl quite well.

If you have a chance to meet her you should ask her about it

Without getting too off topic, why do they cast a black person to play a white person? It doesnt make sense to me. On screen, you are assuming an image. If you start off with "Shes white but this black actor is playing her", it adds an odd dimension where what you see isnt exactly what is meant.

Maybe thats just me.

Yeah, Hermione is definitely white in the books. If Rowling had envisioned her any other way she would have definitely said so at some point. Look at how she spoke up over an ostensibly minor detail such as the placement of Harry's scar when it came time to make the films. They were going to put the scar in the middle of his forehead, because I guess it had never been specified, but she was like "uh, no. it's slightly off center." And that's a small detail I doubt any one would have cared about. Something major like the race of one of the main protagonists definitely would have been addressed had she meant it any other way than portrayed.

Personally don't care what race Hermione is, it's the character that's important not their appearance. But yeah, does seem strange to back and say she might have been black, instead of saying "nah, she was white in the books. now they want to portray her as black. that's cool, doesn't change the nature of the character to be played by a different race. carry on."

Agree 100%. I have zero problem with a black actress playing Hermione but at least be honest about it.

I agree with you, OP. I was hounded on another forum for saying something similar.

if jk rowling wanted Hermione to be black she would not haved hired Emma watson

I'm sure any day now she'll claim some minor character was a transperson, or asexual because it's trendy.

Rowling is a white person which is the worst thing to be in the West today. And her characters were white with some non-whites in the background, which now racist because whites should make half their characters asians, muslims, gay, black, and eskimos otherwise those groups will feel rejected and butthurt.

Hell, I'm sure youtube has some idiot who says HP is really the story of a person assigned as a boy merely because of his genitals who discovers he's really a women, and cisgender people are muggles. Hell, Bryan Singer is so retarded he thinks X-men is a good allegory for being gay, because we all know gays have super secret bunkers with jets and could defeat a hostile army just like super powered mutants.

When did she ever state in the novels that Lee was black?

She mentions him having dreadlocks when Harry sees him on Platform 9 3/4's. Dean Thomas is described as black.

“It’s a zucchini, and you can only have one.”
“Who the hell would want more?”

White folk have dreadlocks too.