Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Why so much hate for the prequels? New story > rehash

Why so much hate for the prequels? New story > rehash

As much as its trendy to hate the prequels look what we got out of them.

Multiple clone wars cartoons and series. Because its an extremely interesting storyline, so much you can do with it.

It introduced coruscant, the Jedi temple, etc. Thriving bustle of coruscant, the shots of the senate meetings, back story on where Jedi's were trained. etc. The galaxy felt huge. In TFA the universe seems so small.

It introduced the Jedi order. Uhhh hello! That was awesome. Its what made this different than your typical western movie set in space. Lighfsabers ffs!

Plo koon? Kiadi mundai? Mace windu? Adi gallia? Darth maul? Etc etc. So many neat characters. I find them more interesting than generic rebel soldiers with guns.

Ever played the first two battlefronts? The 2nd one featured clone wars.

Heard of or played the first Force Unleashed game? The storyline there was interesting. They could have went that route instead of rehashing a new hope.

So much potential wasted on a rehash. I can't believe people hate the prequels and their universe. It spawned so much games, series, etc. I don't think a reached original trilogy will be as loaded with fun as the clone wars did.

Say what you want but the prequels featured its own story. The clone wars. It was interesting. I'd rather have an entirely new story like that than a rehash of a new hope.

Re: Why so much hate for the prequels? New story > rehash

A shіtty new story is not always better than a well done retread. That argument is invalid....

Perpetual outrage is the most popular religion today.

You shut your Tom mouth.

Go on, get!

The True Voice of the Fandom

You prequel apologists never stop with this pathetic argument. New does not equate to quality. Every day the pile of **** I drop into the toilet bowl is a new shape, but that doesn't mean it's anything but ****.

And rehashing a classic doesn't automatically equal good either. If I get drunk man, a monkey, and a 4 year old to repaint the Mona Lisa that doesn't mean it's going to be good just because the subject matter is iconic!

"The mission... the nightmares... there... finally... over." - ARCtrooper Fives

Say what you want but the prequels featured its own story. The clone wars. It was interesting. I'd rather have an entirely new story like that than a rehash of a new hope.
originality and imagination are prerequisites of artistic merit; without them you may reach the easily amused who just wish to experience the things they already know, but you will never create something that stands on own feet artistically.

But the SW fanbase in large (aged) parts is a textbook example of those who will prefer a horribly written, fanfic level rehash to any form of originality regardless of its artistic quality.

That being said, those prequels told a great and epic story that ends in tragedy, which makes it even greater in this unimaginative time and age. It is fantastic world building, unrivaled by any other franchise. All that is evidenced in the fact that they were fertile ground for so many other things.

🐾Dictated but not read 🐾

You are something else. You really are. Your focus is on the story and the originality of it, but you never cease to fail in addressing the delivery of the story which is what hangs most people up.

A most original and epic story can never rise to greatness with botched execution.

A most original and epic story can never rise to greatness with botched execution.
story of your life, Jonny? A man of great ideas but a history of botched execution. I am here, and thus living proof of that.

In Mongolia we have an old saying: you cannot teach an old tundra goat new tricks. And of all the prequel haters you sadden me the most: look at FlyingJoke - he is that proverbial rabid goat who he will chase and bite off his own tails, because his limitations are his nature.

But you Jonny were born a man of talent and wits, a potential prequel lover! But at some point in your history you threw it all away, you rejected our Lord Lucas, and became the very thing you were born to fight: a lusty prequel hater.

Let it be known that the road to redemption is a long one, and there is only precious little time left until judgement day. Our Lord Lucas is waiting for you.

🐾Dictated but not read 🐾

You are so blind, so ignorant! Even now as we approach endgame you cannot see nor fathom the grand strategy. For I was sent near the end to fulfill the final act: draw out the last of the prequel lovers for their destruction. And destruction is coming in 11 days. Repent now, prequel lovers, while there is still time.

Sniveling fool!... The only one dying at the end of IMDb will be you. No other forum will tolerate your hate spewing agenda. And prequel love continues to be voiced on other forums and out in the real world. I've seen it.

In meme of Mace Windu "The oppression of the prequel haters will never return! You have lost my lord!" And this time there is no Chosen One to save you.
😁😂😂😂😂...

"The mission... the nightmares... there... finally... over." - ARCtrooper Fives

TFA used dialogue of our era, unlike the OT/PT, as well, it's incredibly shallow, episodic, and incomplete.

It takes the franchise in an utterly uninteresting, serialized direction. I don't want mysterybox tv in my SW.

Only the execution was flawed. Everything else about the PT was awesome. The visualization, the overall story, the enhancement of the mythology. Like the OT, the PT could have been done better, but as it was it was great.

I wanted to like the prequels. Hell, I even convinced myself that I did like the prequels. But I just couldn't lie to myself forever.

There are many reasons for my stance but I'll break it down for simplicity's sake. Firstly the PT contradicts the OT all over the place. There are just too many WTF moments where it seems like Lucas didn't even watch his own movies. Secondly they don't seem to occur in the same universe. This is obviously because, as the SE has proven, they don't. The pre-1997 version of SW is supposedly some kind of prototype - a demo tape for Lucas' real vision. The PT occurs in a parallel SW universe where Greedo shoots first, cartoon dinosaurs roam the Mos Eisley streets, and Hayden Christiansen scowls from behind the mask of Darth Vader.

When I finally got a copy of the OT (despecialized since the original no longer exists), I was amazed at just how wonderful the trilogy is in it's pure unaltered form. Not just unaltered in terms of Lucas' CGI meddling, but unaltered in the sense of being free from the contradictions and constraints of the prequels (and consequent EU). I realised that I prefer the backstory as it was - hinted at rather than fleshed out with Midichlorians and space-messiahs. I realised I preferred Boba Fett as a mysterious Clint Eastwood-type, and Threepio as a random droid visiting Tatooine for the first time.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone liking the prequels, and I don't think my particular fan conservatism should prevent new generations from having their own version/s of Star Wars. I just prefer the OT as it was, with my own imagination free to fill in the blanks.

And I love TFA, because it does feel like it occurs in the same universe as the OT, and it also continues the style of characterisation/drama exemplified by my personal favourite SW film - The Empire Strikes Back.