Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Completely ruins the point of RotJ.

Completely ruins the point of RotJ.

Episode 6 ended with peace to the galaxy. The Force was once again restored to the galaxy. Episode 7 makes it seem like peace was never restored and that the galaxy was in the same tyrannical state it was in years ago. I know these new films are pandering to prequel haters, but making the entire OG trilogy pointless is far worse than Jar Jar stepping in pudu.

La religion est fausse, mais vous êtes réel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpq26sPbC_4

Re: Completely ruins the point of RotJ.

Yeah, sort of like that peace in Yugoslavia after the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1992. Go figure.

I personally consider it part of the eternal struggle of good vs. evil, but I can see where those who sought a happily ever after kind of ending were disappointed.

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

Yeah, we always knew that there was going to be good vs evil - I think the problem in TFA is that the evil is now greater than the good again. Where we left off in ROTJ is that the evil had been defeated. A small group of evil plotting against the good would have made more sense than the other way round.

A small group of evil plotting against the good

Hmmm... sounds familiar.

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

This movie is the most cynical cash grab ever made. Kethleen Kennedy and her minions doesn't care about ruining the old cast and the OT, it was about hyping up nostalgia by bringing them back in an arrested developpment style and they killing them to leave room for a stupid feminist icon that is supposed to bring women into the Star Wars fandom. The movie is made as a parody of the OT in a very insulting manner.

The Jedi never actually returned in a sense. Vader returned and died. Luke returned and is about to die. The Jedi might as well have not returned.

Vietnam ruined the point of World War 2.

How? WW2 was not over stopping the spread of communism.

True.

Then Vietnam ruined the point of the Korean War.

Op I agree,
They simply prolonged the conflict by skipping over everything, bringing it back to square one. The Jedi still have to return, the Republic still has to be restored, the Empire still has to be defeated, and the Sith (let's face it, Kylo and Snoke are exactly the same as the Sith) still have to be destroyed. Heck even the Death Star is back, bigger and more powerful.

Instead of Han, Leia and Luke at least bearing the fruits of their accomplishments, we get the following. Han: spending the last days of his life as the same swindling loser he was 40 years ago, Leia: the same Rebellion against the Empire leader she was 40 years ago, Luke: wasting away in exile, still not having fulfilled his promise to bring back the Jedi.

I wanted to see these characters and this Galaxy evolving. Different stakes. Different kinds of players. Different themes. Changed characters. Sadly, none of that popped into JJ Abrams' mind.

The Shroud of the Disney has fallen. Begun the Jar Jar Abrahams Wars have.

The point is to make money, always has been and always will be.

Why do you think there were teddybears in ROTJ ? lol

Right, because Ewoks are what's cool about Star Wars, not Darth Vader or Star Destroyers or X-Wings. That's the big draw for people, Ewoks.

The Shroud of the Disney has fallen. Begun the Jar Jar Abrahams Wars have.

I agree with you that is the point now. But back in the day, it was to make a good movie which in turn made money. TESB was the last SW film with that intention. Now all you have to do is flood social media with hype and anyone and everyone will flock to see it. But hey, let's face it - You could do a turd in a brown paper bag, whack a Star Wars label on it and people would buy it - it's not dissimilar to people buy TFA DVD.

Peace was restored to the galaxy. Albeit a fragile peace.

The Alliance became the New Republic and the Empire was destroyed. The First Order formed in the shadows (partially on the remnants of the Empire), undermined the Republic, and was still unknown 6 years prior to the events of TFA. The Resistance was founded by Leia 6 years prior to TFA. The events of TFA dictate the crippling of the Republic government and military, bringing the galaxy back into a state of hot war. A hell of a lot happened in the preceding 30 years. But your assertions are all based on incredibly poor observations and misperceptions of what was occurring during TFA.

Yes but when making a sequel it is an obligation that what has transpired since the last film is adequately EXPLAINED.

You 'observed' all that from watching TFA?

Nope, it was just fan-fiction designed to explain away the failings of the film. The movie didn't adequately explain things to a point where people cared because they were afraid to include any politics. You know, politics, the thing people claim ruined the prequels. Really, though, the politics were kind of interesting at times and necessary. Their extreme reaction to avoid politics at all cost actually hurt the film. Instead, they should have included them, just reduced their role a bit from what the prequels did. Would it have been so hard to establish Leia speaking with the leadership of the New Republic at Hosnian Prime, explaining the First Order, showing the Republic's naivety towards the them, and finally showing Leia's return to the Resistance base? Five minutes could have explained the situation and given us a glimpse of the New Republic before their destruction, thus helping the audience to care.

- - - - - - -
I am not a fan. I just happen to enjoy movies. Fans are embarrassing.

Right? Or they could have given us a different story, maybe an original one that actually puts the OT crew in roles that are consistent with their characters...Leia being ON the New Republic planets, showing us her position, then having the FO destroy them...be a bit more impact then.

Well, yes, obviously they could have done that, but they didn't. Now we have to deal with what they DID do. I liked TFA enough to be interested in seeing what happens next, despite the flaws of the movie. I mean, watching it with zero expectations actually helped, LOL! In any case, I do think that there are some interesting directions they can go from here. If a decent/mediocre movie can spawn into action two really good sequels, then I think we as fans will win. Really, it ALL hinges on what The Last Jedi delivers. If it fails and just comes across as another oddball rehash with half-developed characters, then the new trilogy is doomed. I hold out a little hope at this time, though. There is still room to save the saga!

- - - - - - -
I am not a fan. I just happen to enjoy movies. Fans are embarrassing.

Yeah it's a shame they couldn't come up with a new threat to the galaxy instead of just giving us The Empire again re branded The first order.
I blame JJ. He doesn't have the imagination to give us anything new. We all know the film is a rehash of A new hope anyway.

Evil never goes away, there are no, "happily-ever-afters."