Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Who is Luke Talking to in Teaser 2?

Who is Luke Talking to in Teaser 2?

"The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

It sounds like he's talking to someone outside his family, possibly Rey or Finn. If it was Rey, then it would have to be a flashback as Rey already knows she has that power.

Re: Who is Luke Talking to in Teaser 2?

sounds like he's talking to someone outside his family, possibly Rey or Finn.
it does not sound as if he was talking to somebody outside his family - quite the contrary: connective tissue being the Force in his entire FAMILY, father, sister, Luke and person X have it...X being likely another family member, or the dialog would be freaking misleading.

This probably not the black guy as we have seen him fail utterly with Force powers and everything else. Hmm, who else was there wo was as beautiful and authoritative as Leia and so much more Force sensitive than Luke...?

But it's not canon anyway, it's just a mystery box and carrot dangling to create hype and make us speculate and watch the film - it was a sham.

🐾Dictated but not read 🐾

If he was talking to Ben Solo, he'd refer to Leia as, "your mother," not, "my sister." Maybe it's someone he's adopting, like a young Rey.

If he was talking to Ben Solo, he'd refer to Leia as, "your mother," not, "my sister."
Would he? When he told Leia, he said, "My sister has it."

That isn't the same. Besides, I'd think Leia would have told Ben about the Force when he was little. I'm thinking it's Rey he's talking to in a flashback when she was little.

From the script:

Older now, white hair, bearded. He looks at Rey. A kindness in his eyes, but there's something tortured, too. He doesn't need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here. His look says it all.

From the book:

His hair and beard were white, and his countenance was haunted.

"Haunted" is an interesting word. Maybe he knew her before and thought she was dead, or he saw her in a vision, or she is a reincarnation, or maybe had been prophesied about like Anakin.

"Haunted" is an interesting word. Maybe he knew her before and thought she was dead, or he saw her in a vision, or she is a reincarnation, or maybe had been prophesied about like Anakin.
Him believing her to be dead could justify his presumed negligence in regards to protecting his wards.

Him believing her to be dead could justify his presumed negligence in regards to protecting his wards.

This could definitely be the case. Interesting something that was in the book, but not the movie, in her Force vision:

Around her now: barren, snowy woods, the sound of unknown forest creatures, and a conviction that she must be losing her mind. Once more she climbed to her feet, her chilled breath preceding her. From in front of her, not far away, came the sounds of battle: the cries of the wounded and the clashing of weapons. Then behind her, another voice. That voice. "Stay here. I'll come back for you." She whirled, glazed eyes desperately scanning the dark gaps between the slender trees, trying to penetrate the darkness. "Where are you?" She started running toward the voice. "I'll come back, sweetheart, I promise."

In the movie, these words were not spoken in her vision. If these words came from Luke, it makes sense that they wouldn't include it in the movie so as to keep Rey's background more of a mystery. We'll just have to wait and see. 11 more months.

Leia in ROTJ.

I wondered about that, too.

Clearly they are either the exact lines lifted from ROTJ or just a recall/recycling of those lines. I recognized it as such at the time, but couldn't figure out why they didn't use all-new lines for the Teaser - unless the producers were deliberately trying to influence our expectations about the story and characters a certain way.

Unless Rey turns out to be a Skywalker, then the only think I can think of is that Luke may have repeated those lines to Kylo, presumably at the beginning of his training.

Otherwise, why bother to discuss the strength of the Force within the family to a person who's not a member of the family?

--End Transmission: Code 350--

It is a sound clip from ROTJ.