Star Wars: The Force Awakens : What do Rey and Ray have in common?

What do Rey and Ray have in common?

It turns out that they have a lot in common besides having the same name spelled differently. What am I talking about? Rey is obviously the lead female protagonist in TFA. Ray is a main character in the movie 'Rainman' who happens to be an idiot savant.

1. In TFA, Rey accidentally gets entangled in a mission adventure across the galaxy to deliver a droid with secret plans. But her only desire is to return home and wait for her family.

In 'Rain Man' Ray is virtually kidnapped by his half brother Charlie and is ultimately taken on a cross country adventure while Charlie schemes of ways to get out of debt and get rich. He uses Ray in his schemes, but Ray just wants to bury himself in rigid, comfortable routines and go home.

2. In TFA, Rey expresses how she has never been outside of her environment of Jakku when she reaches Takadona. She is preoccupied with her desire to get back home. Despite this, at a crucial moment in furthering the mission, all the other members who have more motive, more knowledge, and more means than Rey... they all want to abandon it. Only Rey displays passion, appreciation, and devotion to finishing the mission, reprimanding the others for their indifference.

In 'Rain Man', at a crucial moment when it seems that everything is going to fall apart, Charlie begins to genuinely appreciate his brother Ray and notice his talents. Charlie persuades Ray to put off his desire to return home and use one of his talents to achieve his goal of resolving his debt.

If 'Rain Man' had been written like TFA, Charlie and his girlfriend would have completely given up on their schemes and goals in the crucial moment. And Ray, a man incapable of taking care of himself outside of his home environment, would've gave everyone a peptalk, hatched up a scheme to save everyone from debt and then drove everyone to Vegas to pull it off!

3. In 'Rain Man', Ray is mentally handicapped and virtually incapable of taking care of himself outside of the institution he lives in. However he has a genius ability at mathematics and counting. Ironically Ray's mental deficiency in every other area has no affect on his genius in this one area. Scientist cannot fully explain why or how this real life syndrome happens.

In TFA, Rey is able to master the Force on an unprecedented level in learning curve speed, power and intensity. This is despite the fact that Rey is a person full of doubts and fears. She lacks any desire or motivation to use the Force or embrace becoming a Force user. This factor should be contradictory and stifling to Rey's abilities in the Force. And it should make her feats and victories unexplainable based on the nature of everything in the Force as evidenced in the previous 6 movies.

Rey fans argue that Rey's fear, doubt, and indifference disqualify her characterization as being MarySue. But would you say that 'Rain Man's Ray is not a puzzling or inexplicable paradox? Would you say that Ray's talent in math and card-counting is not genius because he shows himself to be mentally impaired in many other areas? Rey apologists would passionately answer yes to those questions, and insist that their conclusion is logical and unbiased.

It's time to rewrite (and remake) that Academy award winning movie 'Rain Man' according to the logic of TFA. Let's fix this storytelling mess! Let's make Ray exactly like Rey!

"Silly TFA apologists!" = 🙉🙈🙊

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: What do Rey and Ray have in common?

I dare you to write several paragraphs about the simarities between Rey and "Ray"!

You know, the movie about Ray Charles.

“Seventy-seven courses and a regicide, never a wedding like it!

Jakku On My Mind:

Jakku, Jakku
The whole day through (the whole day through)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Jakku on my mind (Jakku on my mind)

I'm say Jakku, Jakku
A song of you (a song of you)
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the dunes

Unkar's arms reach out to me
Unkar's eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

I said Jakku, oh Jakku
No peace I find (peace I find)
Just an old sweet song

Unkar's arms reach out to me
Unkar's eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

Woah, Jakku, Jakku
No peace, no peace I find
Just an old, sweet song

I said just an old sweet song
Keeps Jakku on my mind

The next time I see you, I'll buy you a beer!

“Seventy-seven courses and a regicide, never a wedding like it!

Hot water burn Rey-by!

Totally with you, and your post is hilarious!

~ I keep my expectations low -- then I can be pleasantly surprised.~