Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Did Chewie only want to wound Kylo Ren?

Did Chewie only want to wound Kylo Ren?

So I just watched the film again recently do you think when Chewie shot Ren on the bridge that he wanted to kill him or just wound him because after all he is still the son of his best friend. Then again after what he did maybe Chewie did want to kill him.

Watching the scene again I think he was just trying to wound him. Up to this point Chewie has been a decent shot and Ren was standing still on that bridge for a long time so why would he shoot him in the side rather than in the chest.

I would love to see some screen time between Ren and Chewie in the next two films to give a bit more weight to the moment because as it stands it did play out a little predictable kind of forced.

Re: Did Chewie only want to wound Kylo Ren?

I think Chewie wanted to kill him, he just did not get off a kill shot.

Think about it, they are on a planet controlled by the First Order and one of the highest ranking and most dangerous members of the movement has just killed the venerable Han Solo, for Chewie to just try to wound him could have ended in death for all of them.

But Chewie quite likely saw Ben grow up as a child so it gives me reason to think maybe he didn't want to kill Ren.

When you take out a gun or other lethal weapon you must be capable of committing to kill that person.
Trying to just wound someone doesn't really work, unless you have an exceptionally accurate weapon you are very adept at precision shot.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's a nice idea but Chewie showed no sign of hesitation, or of thinking about anything, except to kill, kill, kill.

That link above with the cool comic strip showing that same scene HAS TO ADD a new shot of Chewie thinking to the scene in order to make it work.

I can't even say it was simply distance that made him wound instead of kill because Chewie SHOULD be a great shot. So i'll say his rage (not his compassion) kept him from aiming perfectly.

If in the moment he is feeling rage not compassion (which is most likely the case) he could still have wanted to wound Ben not kill him. My big question after watching the film again is does Chewie really want Ben dead or does he still love the son of his best friend. All we is Chewie let out a pained/angry roar and fire before troopers shoot at him.

I understand JJ did not address Ben and Chewies' relationship at all and I doubt Rian Johnson or Colin Trevarow will explore it any further but it seems a shame to me. I feel this is actually the most interesting relationship in the force awakens because whether Chewie did or did not want to kill Ren there has to be so much history between the two that we don't know about .

I believe Chewie will likely be thrown to the side for the rest of the franchise but I also have a theory him and Boyega will become the new pilots of the Falcon which I think is ok.

The real question is, why didn't he fire a second shot and rid us of this incapable villain?

Take evasive action! Green group, stick close to holding section MV-7!

The real question is, why didn't he fire a second shot and rid us of this incapable villain?

Recall that after Chewie shot Kylo the stormtroopers fired at him, then he shot back at them killing some of them. Then he activated the explosive devices.
So his attention was diverted away from Kylo Ren.

C'mon, just one more quick pull on the trigger? Maybe shoot Rey too? I'm all for wish fulfillment.

Plus I have a question, how did Kylo have the aptitude to know when Poe was going to shoot him from behind and was able to stop the bolt mid air, yet he was incapable enough to not stop or even sense this emotionally charged shot from Chewie coming?

He had just murdered his father and was mentally and emotionally distracted. That plus Chewie fired a weapon more powerful than what Poe shot at him with.

Same reason as a magic video-game chasm opened to save him when the raging Sue could have finished him, and same reason that there was magically time enough for Hux to find KyloBoy on the planet before the explosion: the script was simply on EmoRen's side and he had massive plot armor, so that we can enjoy him again in VIII.
de gustibus non est disputandum

I think, Kylo Ren may have partially halted or dampened the blast, seeing as he known to have such an ability.

My thoughts, too.

Earlier in the movie, when Chewie's gun is fired, it sends the 'target' victim flying backwards with the impact/blast.

When Kylo is hit, no such devastation.

We KNOW he can stop blaster fire in mid-air, but of course he just went through something pretty significant, so I don't think it's a stretch to think he wasn't totally on his game (otherwise he would have blocked Chewie's shot with his lightsaber). But I think he may have done something to protect himself or dampen the damage.

--End Transmission: Code 350--

That's actually a really cool theory because he wasnt expecting the shots fired by Poe either yet he was able to stop them and the Bowcaster is a much stronger weapon so maybe he had a little more trouble stopping the shot in mid air. This is actually what I think happened now lol.

I thought Kylo did react to the incoming shot, but was obviously distracted so much he didn't catch it. Killing Solo was supposed to have freed him from the light-side and when it didn't, he was thrown off balance.

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

I agree too that he was distracted, and undoubtedly he was distraught.

No, the movie wanted to. You don't wanna kill the main villain in the first movie, right ?

"I would love to see some screen time between Ren and Chewie"

That would be hilarious ! Good idea, but I don't think it will happen: Luke will take care of that brat.

I'm pretty sure Chewie wanted to kill him. There's no reason for him just to wound.

"Not all change is progress, as not all movement is forward."