Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Finally watched it for the first time the other night...

Finally watched it for the first time the other night...

And as much as I didn't expect to enjoy it, I thought it was pretty good. Not perfect, but entertaining nonetheless. Going in with no expectations has its positives!!! I see a lot of criticisms on the page that are valid, but I also see a lot that are blown out of proportion. The whole Rey/Mary Sue thing was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be after having read comments from others for a year or more. And while the film has a lot of elements that are aping the 1977 film, overall I did not feel that the entire film was a rehash of A New Hope as so many have stated time and again. Generally, I thought the film started off pretty shaky and uninteresting, but after Han and Chewy made their entrance, it really got a lot better. My main problem was the Fin character. For all the hubbub that was made over having a black lead, I thought his character was very poorly written. Why make him the comedy relief to such an extent? Maybe they will improve the writing for his character in the next film.

- - - - - - -
I am not a fan. I just happen to enjoy movies. Fans are embarrassing.

Re: Finally watched it for the first time the other night...

My main problem was the Fin character. For all the hubbub that was made over having a black lead, I thought his character was very poorly written. Why make him the comedy relief to such an extent? Maybe they will improve the writing for his character in the next film.
His motivations make no sense, or at least the presentation was rushed. He isn't a believable "raised to do one thing" kind of soldier, let alone much of a soldier at all. He doesn't know how to fly a ship, and is afraid to try. He behaves like a total passive aggressive omega when ambushing Phasma. He is also basically a human version of Jar Jar Binks, perhaps there to establish a contrast between Rey and himself. He is funny, and the actor did a fine job, but the humor is a little out of place, while moreover he is simply a mess.

I agree. The premise of a rogue stormtrooper was a good one, I think, but the writing just didn't do it justice. I never expected Fin to be such a comedy relief character. A good example of the bad humor was, as you correctly pointed out, was when he confronts Phasma. I cringed. The scene utterly ruined what could have been a good character with Phasma as well, who ends up being all cool looking outfit and nothing else. Well, hopefully they will take Fin in a better direction in the upcoming sequel. No more mention of being in sanitation. Ugh. At least he has some heroic moments, which can be built upon.

- - - - - - -

You waited over a year to see it? I admire your resistance.

You waited over a year to see it? I admire your resistance.

I see what you did there! (resistance!) Yes, I got very burnt out on Star Wars for several years. I enjoyed Rogue One a lot after my brothers talked me into watching it, so I figured I needed to go on and watch The Force Awakens and give it a chance.

- - - - - - -

Glad you enjoyed it. I agree with you about Finn. The idea of having a rogue Stormtrooper as a main character was a good one, but they didn't handle it well. Also, the hype around Phasma lead up to nothing. She didn't do much of anything and caved in to threats from Han, Chewie, and Finn.

I especially agree about Phasma. I don't know what I expected from her, but I certainly expected her to do more than stand around looking shiny.

She is the bobba fett of the ST.

she's even more peripheral. Boba at least outsmarted Han and sassed Darth Vader.

imo

I especially agree about Phasma. I don't know what I expected from her, but I certainly expected her to do more than stand around looking shiny.
Some have speculated that it was Abrams' way of taking a jab at Jango Fett, but that idea doesn't really add up.

I like the fan theory that Phasma is a alliance sympathiser or double agent and lets Finn escape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB0Z3KsNark

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

I like the fan theory that Phasma is a alliance sympathiser or double agent and lets Finn escape.

That could certainly add "something" to her otherwise pointless character.

- - - - - - -

Yes, all of you are right about Phasma. They wanted something cool looking with her like they did in the old days with Boba Fett, but the thing they didn't realize is that it takes an extra little bit of something to make a character stand out like Boba did. While it is true that Boba really doesn't do much on screen, he had an aura of danger about him that Phasma was lacking. He looked like he had some really interesting adventures behind him, and of course, the way his action figure was marketed prior to the release of TESB helped create popularity (remember his original first appearance in the animated segment from the Holiday Special). Boba Fett kind of just happened. Phasma was planned to be be the new cool looking character, but trying to mimic that sort of "Boba Fett" phenomenon around a side character doesn't really work.

She was a horribly weak character who got owned by the worst main character in the film, the laughable Fin.

- - - - - - -

The whole thing about Rey being overpowered really only becomes an issue when she's compared to Finn in any way. She's written to be sooo amazing and he's written to be sooo pathetic, there was no balance between them at all.

The whole thing about Rey being overpowered really only becomes an issue when she's compared to Finn in any way. She's written to be sooo amazing and he's written to be sooo pathetic, there was no balance between them at all.

That's a good point. He was basically there to make Rey look good. It's a shame that they did that, because Fin really had potential to be a great character, and it wouldn't have taken away from Rey to let him have some development.

- - - - - - -

A stormtrooper who switched sides could have been so interesting but they handled it so poorly and the entire time he felt more like a sanitation worker thrust into danger rather than the elite expertly trained trooper he was supposed to be (in the novelization he's supposed to be in the top 1% of stormtroopers). Maybe in the next movie they'll let him be competent but at the end of TFA I'm left wondering why he's even alive and coming back for the next one.

Seriously, compare the relationship between Luke and Han (and even Leia) to that of Rey and Finn. Luke was the main jedi hero but Han was undeniably his equal, he felt capable and contributed just as much. Finn constantly gets shown up by his costar, never succeeds at anything and never gets to feel like her equal at any point.