Star Wars: The Force Awakens : THIS MOVIE...

THIS MOVIE...

Is awesome and did exactly what it needed to for this new trilogy and I wouldn't change it for anything. I loved it and the hate is unjustified even if this movie is similar to a new hope in some ways. This movie tells a completely different story to a new hope with old and new cast. Who is with me? The last Jedi is gonna be fantastic!

Badass

At first, i didn't like it because it's exactly like the New Hope, but I came to realize where they were headed with the story ..... SEE MY POST: Why it's called 'The Last Jedi' for the reason why...

this new trilogy will be badass....

Re: THIS MOVIE...

I'm sorry...it might have entertained the ADHD crowd, or those that have been beaten into submission with this new wave of mystery box television series, but it's ultimately derivative and unoriginal. Beyond that it disrespects what came before, while also relying on it for the multiple blatant referential nods. It was far from a decent SW film, and just as far from being decent sci-fi.

Is awesome and did exactly what it needed to for this new trilogy and I wouldn't change it for anything. I loved it and the hate is unjustified even if this movie is similar to a new hope in some ways. This movie tells a completely different story to a new hope with old and new cast. Who is with me? The last Jedi is gonna be fantastic!

Don't you think it's interesting that you use the line '...did exactly what it needed to...'? Like it's a toilet cleaner or a belt sander. You see this is why so many people are happy to turn a blind eye (make that two) to all the massive flaws in TFA - because in their eyes it has 'fixed' Star Wars, it 'did what it needed to' which I presume is to wipe away the stain of the prequels.

But the thing is it hasn't. The prequels still exist. And now we have one of the greatest trilogies in history book ended by some of the worst films ever made. You need to face facts robertsonFR - TFA is possibly the most shamefully derivative film in history. It is closer to ANH than Crank 2 is to Crank and it completely destroys the characters and world created in the OT.

agree, no true sw fan can approve of the bs in tfa and they way it shamed the ot.

I feel like Disney owes me my $18 back for such a crap waste of time. I can't believe it still has an 8.1 rating. People must just be too lazy to change their rating.

It seems some Star Wars fans just don't like Star Wars

No. Some SW fans wanted more for thems $20 than seeing ANH all over again with a cutesy warrior princess running around using pixie dust Disney magic for the Force! Or her Afro-centric version of Jar Jar as a sidekick. Or the fact that da movie got boringly predictable because so much of da story was exactly like ANH. Or da fact that what little of da story that was original was badly written. Or da competitions between Rey and Kylo was like watching Sailor Moon or a PowerPuff girl beat da crap out of a junior Sith Lord!

Lots of fan service though. Bright colors and loud noises moving fast! Disney preteen humor, dialogue, and characterization in a SW galaxy! Yahoo!!!

"Ouch time!"

While I agree that it did what it needed, i'd still like to change a few things to make it better.

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

TFA was as enjoyable as sitting in traffic...with no AC....and a busted radio.

TFA does have many of the same ingredients as all of the OT films, but it is packaged in a new way. This "carbon copy" nonsense is ridiculous. This film stands along side the other seven films as the latest unique and great Star Wars film. Not perfect but still exuding the same tangible magic and spirit inherent to every major Star Wars film. I think "Episode VIII: The Last Jedi", whatever flaws it may possess, will be every bit as awesome in its own way as those films that preceded it.

You certainly drank the kool-aid.

More or less.

OP I couldn't agree more, love watching it and will watch it again this weekend.

Repeat one story line again, then do the basic story line for the other main story, and star wars cleaches where ever you can, copy star wars scenes.....
BAD

My pee tastes like toast

Nobody is forcing oneself to watch these movies. And yet people will go watch Ep. VIII in their droves. Same with all the others films coming in the near future. Fans who moan that the originals are the only worth films should just go and find another interest and be happy with those. Everyone else can enjoy the new stuff coming our way...

The movie was entertaining as a movie. As a Star Wars movie, it was pretty meh.

i would change parts of it.

imo

Sorry, this was a huge disappointment:

1. Gee, the Death Star is just bigger. Again. As always and as usual. And of course it's just super easy to destroy it. Because of COURSE the Empire would never LEARN how to do it better each time and chain reactions are just a dime a dozen -- at least with the first Death Star there was a purposely installed flaw that would create a chain reaction and in Return of the Jedi the Death Star had problems because the Emperor fell down the shaft with bolts still coming out of his hands.

2. We finally get a female character who doesn't have to flaunt her body in her impressive looking armor and she's a wimp. Oh no, you put a gun to my head -- of course I'll do everything you say and enable you to blow up thousands and thousands of my people while I tell you that you'll be sorry. WHAT????

3. It is very rare when a female will be able to physically play "sword tug of war" with a male. Rey should have been deflecting and dancing out of the way instead of trying to pit strength against strength. Oh, and how did she get so good at using a lightsaber -- especially against someone who has practiced? Oh, and using the force which she has never tried using before so well against someone who has been practicing longer than she has?

4. Where did Kylo get all that father/son anger from? Why isn't his mommy doing something? That's just bad parenting and even worse character development/storytelling. And how in the name of heaven did Kylo get the idea that Darth Vader was such a good and strong guy?

5. And don't get me started on Luke doing the exact same stupid thing that III had Yoda do. Oh gee, I give up, I'm just going to seclude myself and let the Universe go to the Empire. I guess the whole "do or do not" truly applies. I did not when I was trying to do so I'm just going to give up and truly do not. UGH.

And that's just my main complains.

Rouge One was good. It made sense and it connected well to IV. Let's hope The Last Jedi can attempt to do as well.

~ I keep my expectations low -- then I can be pleasantly surprised.~

after this film opened,it becomes clear that generally the intelligence of many people are quite questionable.

the movie sucks and i give it a 1/10. The plot, dialogue and characters are very very very poorly executed. On top of that it is basically a remake of A New Hope and doesn't have anything original about it. This really make me wonder what people think when rating films. 8.1 means that is one of the greatest films ever made. What a joke.Yet this movie is perceived as somehow better than The Gandhi (1982), and Ben-Hur (1959)!!!

This turd being rated above a 2 and in the top 250 only proves the power of the Disney hype machine and the gullibility of the brain dead masses.

dodgy ratings
For example:

From Here to Eternity (1953)

A minimum of 9/10. Lancaster and Clift shine especially the last one who showed humanity what A1 acting is.
Nominated for 11 oscars ,won 8..

Not even listed in IMDb's best 250! Same goes with A Man for All Seasons another of Zinnemmann's finest works. He could show a thing or two to today's overrated movie makers, who have no freaking idea about what making a good movie is, lol.

The rating system is close to useless for recent hollywood block busters because the votes are infested by stupid sheep who rate anything a 10 if it looks flashy and has a lot of explosions.
total wankers and too many adolescents with fragile and volatile emotions thinking their Lord of the Rings, Fincher and Nolan's movies are better than real and creative film.

I expected this to be crap,
but this is on a whole new level of crap....WTF ??????
it has to be among the most idiotic & ridiculous films EVER !!!
Incredible waste!!!

I think it's difficult to have a Star Wars film without having similar themes/elements pop up time and again.

Good vs evil, jedi vs sith, droids, space battles, mystery, hero pilots etc etc

I also think the PT lent from the OT as much as the ST lent from OT. Lone protagonist, natural force ability, assisted by droids and fights evil - throw in a lightsabre for the cherry on top.

As I've said in previous posts, TFA has given us an explosion of new mythology:

- Han and Leia had a child following Jedi
- Luke starts to train young Jedi
- Ben is pulled to the dark side
- Ben (with others perhaps) slaughters the young Jedi
- Luke vanishes (perhaps looking for first Jedi temple)
- Hosnian prime is obliterated (senate/new republic)
- Han and Leia go their own ways

Throw in a feast of new worlds, Takodana, Jakku, Ack-to, D'Qar etc etc, new characters and droids and you have something that builds on the already impressive mythology.