Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Did anyone else cry when.... (SPOILERS)

Did anyone else cry when.... (SPOILERS)

*Don't read my question if you haven't seen the movie*

Did anyone else cry when Kylo Ren killed Han Solo? I got choked up. I suppose it is because I am so close to my Dad and could never imagine harming him. It was just a horrible thing for him to do.

Re: Did anyone else cry when.... (SPOILERS)

I didn't. It was disappointing to see such an iconic character killed off by his own son, but it wasn't handled in a way that brought tears to my eyes.

Please don't call someone a _____tard.

It brought tears to my eyes, more for my fondness for Solo himself than the scene. No more Han!

But I despise Darth Emo so much that it interfered with the sadness. You can't grieve and want to slap a bitch at the same time.

“Seventy-seven courses and a regicide, never a wedding like it!

Understandable. Harrison Ford is very loosely like John Wayne. He is the contemporary "duke". It may be rough seeing one of his characters get killed, especially the slayer does it in rat bastard kind of way.

Did anyone else cry when Kylo Ren killed Han Solo?
I didn't.

I suppose it is because I am so close to my Dad and could never imagine harming him.
That's interesting, but I'd figure that fathers would be more bothered by it than sons.

It was just a horrible thing for him to do.
I know.

I was saddened though I did not cry, but the scene is monumental regardless. My relationship with my father was more akin to Luke and Anakin. Dad never around, but you eventually figure out he was *beep* In that regard maybe Ben and Han's relationship was a similar paradigm, except the Han being an *beep* part.

It was more about Kylo's further descent into the embrace of the dark side. Killing your own father just because you want to sever your connection with the light is a huge step in that direction. In TFA Kylo Ren is still an apprentice and still very new to the dark side with a great deal to learn, whatever his master said. Kylo might be a/the "Master of the Knights of Ren", but that probably isn't saying much.

Nope.

I knew he was a goner since the moment Kylo said he sensed him.

Plus his death was lame.

I felt nothing.

Not really because someone spoiled the scene before I got to see the movie. I was sad that Han was killed.

Not at the exact moment when he shoves the lightsaber in him, but when Chewie reacts then i started crying. It was emotional, known these characters for most of life and they had a bond. It was tough to swallow.

I didn't, I could see it coming a mile away. I just thought Han was an idiot (throughout the entire movie actually) so when he died I was thinking "what did you expect, you moron". This movie actually made me hate Han Solo, at least in this movie. I'll always love Han in the OT but he was a bumbling idiot in TFA, imo.

No, it didn't affect me at all: you could see it coming from a mile away and you could suspect it was going to happen from the moment Harrison Ford signed up for this movie.

No, I was rather surprised how little I cared to see such an iconic character go. For me that was not the "real" Han Solo but just the dumbed down, fanfic Adult Diaper Hans from TFA.

You could see it coming the moment Leia sent him on his suicide mission, and Han died senselessly just because an old mentor guy must die in SW, and Ford wanted out. One of the silliest scenes in all Star Wars because:

- OT Han Solo would not have run away from his wife, son and friends to become a lowlife criminal again when things go wrong. It's not in his character as his ANH and OT arc showed.
- OT Solo was never a reckless, senile idiot when piloting and dealing with enemies, he was cunning and professional.
- the father son relationship was one of the worst I ever saw: we never saw the guys together before the killing scene, and so could not connect the as father and son, compare that to the brilliant way they did it in Jedi, or even RO for that matter. Did not help that Adult Diaper Hans and EmoRen don't look related either.
- What was Kylos motivation to become evil: we just don't know. And after betraying and killing millions you suddenly need to kill your much-hated father too to become "fully" evil? Worked differently with Anakin or Dooku.
- There was never any real doubt that Kylo would kill his father, he was a ruthless, murdering idiot from the get go, killing and destroying even when it made absolutely no sense (village and cantina)
- What was Leia's and Han's plan: to seriously ask their mass-murdering, fanatical and intellectually retarded son to just say: OK let's quit being evil and heading an evil organization; let's go home to the Republic, they will forgive and forget anyway, especially since we destroyed their capital.

Sensational writing that.

This. Salient post

I hate to say it, but I agree. All the worse because, as you said:

You could see it coming the moment Leia sent him on his suicide mission, and Han died senselessly just because an old mentor guy must die in SW, and Ford wanted out.

And all of the other flaws you point out are correct. There is no emotional build up or engagement. Like so much of the film, it appears that they want a particular scene, so it happens. The story rarely leads naturally from one thing to another, but simply has scenes strung together that tick boxes.

I liked a theory I read recently where Ben is a double agent of sorts, thats why his eyes didnt do that dark eerie thing when he killed Han, it even went as far as to say Han grabbed the lightsabre and turned it on himself. Probably not true but would be interesting.

Tell you what. Had there not been another Death Star [and thus 5 inhabited planets hadnt been destroyed] that would have been a sound theory. But Ben has already gone too far. So for him to be a double agent seems illogical at this point.

No because there was nothing to cry about when Han got killed because the only way disney could get Harrison Ford to do the movie was having Han Solo die