Star Wars: The Force Awakens : The scene where Kylo is talking to Snoke

The scene where Kylo is talking to Snoke

He says there has been an awakening, what if he was talking about Finn when he decided not to kill for them and Reys awakening came later, the whole movie is about the force awakening.

Re: The scene where Kylo is talking to Snoke

And suddenly the Force is reduced to some inner strength that awakes when it feels like it.

yeah it's stupid, but don't act as you never had a Force awakening in your pants when you were around 8-12.

thing is the Force was outdated dude. JJ Abrams SAVED the Force.

Kids today don't want to learn skills and powers and go through all that frustrating training and failing, they want to be kewl immediately like Superheroes and MareySue. All thanks JJ...

🐾Dictated but not read 🐾

by Jaynes_hat;

"He says there has been an awakening, what if he was talking about Finn..."

No. I don't think so.
The Force awakening happened with Rey at Maz Kanata's when she had a Force vision (which she could not handle).
Snoke and Kylo would have felt that.
That leads to Snoke saying this.

Supreme Leader Snoke: There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
Kylo Ren: Yes.

- Their scene is similar to the chat between Vader and the Emperor in Empire.

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
Darth Vader: I have felt it.

- The similarity of this dialogue in Empire and TFA makes sense because the main writer on both movies was the same person, Lawrence Kasdan.

And it means that the Dark side Force users are feeling the emergence of a user of the light side of the Force.
In ESB that was Luke. In TFA this is Rey.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

it is just in my opinion - imo - 🌈

No no no and no.

You got it wrong.

The 2 scenes are completely different. The only similarity they share is that in both scenes the main villain is talking with his 2nd in command.

Disturbance and awakening are 2 different words.

The Force is comprised by Light and Dark. And it is supposed to be in balance.

When that balance shifts trained Force users are able to sense it.

When Luke destroyed the Death Star it caused a disturbance. From that moment the rebellion started becoming more of a threat and that also tipped the scales causing a disturbance. And that was felt by Palpatine and Vader.

Now in the sensing process it is irrelevant wether you are Light or Dark.

Also the fact that Rey or Finn caused a disturbance in the Force was illogical. Untrained Force users who havent done anything that could upset the current state of the Force cannot cause a disturbance. If that was the case Luke and Leia would have caused a disturbance in the Force the moment each started working [in the farm and in the diplomatic service]. That is why Lukes presence was being sensed after he had contributed in the destruction of the Death Star and the expansion of the Rebellion.

Only the emergence of powerful Force users can cause a disturbance in the Force. An example is Darth Maul. In Clone Wars his return caused a disturbance in the Force which was felt by the Jedi and the Sith.

Also a vision cant cause disturbance. The term awakening is very false. It implies that the Force wasnt active or something. That is false. Episode 7 broke basic lore rules that were established by the previous movies.

There is no logic to the movie.

Technically, a person can be a disturbance in the Force, literally; since in ANH, when Kenobi is hiding on the Falcon, Vader can feel his presence, simply by proximity, strong enough that he finds it familiar. Possibly, Kenobi was attempting to shroud himself as best he could, since if Vader could sense him, it's a surefire bet that he could pick up the Dark Lord.

Not entirely sure how Luke could have been that specifically a disturbance, since even by Empire; he'd hardly done any training; unless his connection to the Force kept growing by itself until it 'plateau-ed' to a level detectable by the Emperor?

Considering how JJ keeps reinterpreting the Force in this movie, I'd just go with it, because it's not likely to get any clearer.

"I can't read peoples' minds, I'm not a Jedi!" Lucifer Morningstar

Not entirely sure how Luke could have been that specifically a disturbance, since even by Empire; he'd hardly done any training; unless his connection to the Force kept growing by itself until it 'plateau-ed' to a level detectable by the Emperor?
That's what I was wondering too.

by dobraye_utra;

"Luke... his connection to the Force kept growing by itself until it 'plateau-ed' to a level detectable by the Emperor?"

That's what happened with Luke in Empire imo which led to Palpatine having a vision through the Force about Luke in the future being a threat.

"Considering how JJ keeps reinterpreting the Force in this movie,"

This is a mistake that many people make giving Abrams full writing credit for TFA.
Abrams was not the main script writer of TFA. It was Lawrence Kasdan.
Who is Kasdan? He was the main script writer for Empire Strikes Back.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

When Luke destroyed the Death Star it caused a disturbance.
But the Emperor didn't discuss it with Vader for three years. Seems more like the disturbance the Emperor was referring to was Obi-Wan, a ghost, directing Luke to go to Dagobah, or some event during the Battle of Hoth. Unless the Emperor was really so full of it so as to conduct a secret investigation for duration of the time between the battles of Yavin and Hoth, without letting Vader in on the secret.

to baronofspades; we disagree so much about Star Wars, that I'll begin by saying that I will just agree to disagree and move on from any debate with you because I don't think we can come to any common ground.

* But for others who might be interested, I will at the end explain again my view of what Vader and the Emperor are discussing in Empire about a disturbance of the Force and what Snoke and Kylo are talking about with an awakening of the Force.

* First I am going to discuss my views of what the Force is in Star Wars.
Again, this is not to get into any intense debate but is just stating my POV.

1. The Force is not based on the accumulation of weapons, ships or space stations.
Vader explained that the Death Star was separate from the power of the Force.

Vader: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

2. What is an example of a disturbance in the Force? It comes from ANH and has to do with a great loss of life as Obi-Wan explained.

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

This tells the viewer that the Force has to do with living beings and their connection to an energy field which can be sensed by a Jedi or Sith.

3. What then is the Force? It comes from living beings.
From Obi-Wan;

Obi-Wan: The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

From Yoda;

Yoda: For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.

Again, the Force primarily comes from living things.
- It is true that the Force can connect to non living things.

Yoda; You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

But the source of the Force is living things. It connects to non living things but living things create it.

4. The Force can feel the emotions of people light years away in the present but also from the future.

Luke: I saw - I saw a city in the clouds.
Yoda: Friends you have there.
Luke: They were in pain...
Yoda: It is the future you see.

5. With the Force a person can see many events from the future, the past and images of those who are dead.

Yoda: Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future…the past. Old friends long gone.

*** Now to the discussion with Vader and the Emperor in Empire where I will quote more of the conversation.
This disturbance in the Force has to do with the emergence of Luke and the threat he poses to the Emperor and Vader.

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
Darth Vader: I have felt it.
Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. Luke Skywalker.
Darth Vader: Yes, my master.
Emperor Palpatine: He could destroy us.
Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker cannot become a Jedi.

This discussion is not about the Death Star which happened years before or the loss of TIE fighters or Star Destroyers which also happened in ANH.
- What Palpatine and Vader are talking about would need to be related to something that happened to a living being(s);
In this conversation in Empire the "disturbance" is about them feeling the power of Luke through the Force. That is a disturbance and they see the person who creates it, Luke, as a threat.

*** This leads to the similar discussion in TFA.
First disturbance is not the only thing which can happen with the Force.
There can also be a vergence. This seems to be a powerful concentration of the Force, in Phantom Menace it is around one person.

Qui-Gon Jinn: With your permission, my master, I have encountered a vergence in the Force.
Yoda: A vergence, you say?
Mace Windu: Located around a person?
Qui-Gon Jinn: A boy. His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life-form. It was possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.

- With The Force Awakens, Snoke mentions an awakening of the Force to Kylo.

Supreme Leader Snoke: There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
Kylo Ren: Yes.
Supreme Leader Snoke: The dark side, and the light.

They are not certain what they have experienced.
- What living being(s) would have created this awakening?
The audience has seen the awakening of the Force with Rey's experience at Maz Kanata's place when she touched the lightsaber.
Touching that lightsaber seemed to have unlocked more of Rey's connection to the Force in a powerful way.
What she saw fits the descriptions of what the Force can do according to Yoda in Empire. Visions of the past and future.

** Now again, I don't want to get into a prolonged debate about this.
I know the Star Wars live action films very well.
As can be seen I can bring up quotes which support my view.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

There was originally a lot more dialogue in that scene. I think they should have left it in. It would have explained a bit more and added all of 60 seconds to the whole movie. Oh well...

When Snoke says to Kylo Ren. " there has been an awakening in the Force have you felt it"?
Ren responds with, "Yes".
This scene occurs after Rey and Finn escape the pursuit by the First Order from Jakku and they connect with Han Solo.
So the "awakening" could refer to Rey's inexplicable piloting skills or Finn's gunnery skills guided by the Force.

Or the awakening could refer to Finn "awakening" from the FO's programming and indoctrination. Whether that had to do with the Force, the failure of the FO's indoctrination, or Finn's natural goodness we don't know.

But I do see the parallel with this conversation and the conversation that Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader had when the Emperor said:

The Emperor: "There is a great disturbance in the Force."
Darth Vader: "I have felt it."
Emperor: "We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker".

Now the last sentence did not make it into the original airing of SW: A New Hope (Ep IV)

Or the awakening could refer to Finn "awakening" from the FO's programming and indoctrination. Whether that had to do with the Force, the failure of the FO's indoctrination, or Finn's natural goodness we don't know.
I see people arguing back and forth, but we just can't know for sure. However, I'd wager to guess that it's the intention of the writers to make Rey a solitary "awakened" superhero, a truer messiah than Anakin ever seemed to be, while Finn continues to be a nobody sidekick.