Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Noticed something about Finn's past.

Noticed something about Finn's past.

At one point in the movie Finn said he was taken from his family as a child, at another point one somebody from the first order is speaking and he says the stormtroopers are trained since birth. Seems like he had a different childhood than the rest of his white helmetted brethren.

Re: Noticed something about Finn's past.

Those two sentences aren't mutually exclusive if you ask me.

If Finn was taken in the first few weeks of life, you could still say he was trained from birth.

Wouldn't that also mean that the First Order is at least 20 years old (if they enslaved Finn as a baby)?

I believe he said child (same thing) but yeah I guess, I imagine they must have started around the same time the empire fell.

Who did they use while they were waiting for their 'recruits' to grow up? And who did all the recruiting? Was it Ex-Imperials? What happened to them? Why aren't they in the upper ranks of The First Order? Did they start off as a baby stealing outfit, then secretly start training the babies as soldiers? Who funded them? They have a lot of soldiers. Did no one try to get their children back? Did no one else reject their conditioning? Did they only take human babies that fit the uniforms?

These are all genuine questions, I'm curious for answers as there was very little background on the First Order in the film.

to floppy; I'm sure new EU novels will give the background of the First Order.

- But from my view, the Imperials were never completely defeated after ROTJ. It's a big galaxy and as seen with AOTC, armies and weapons can be hidden for decades.
- As the Imperials were building their strength at the edges of the galaxy, it seems clear that Snoke took command and that he wanted younger leaders like Hux to be in charge.
- Who funded them? Who funded the clone army? Anyway dark side Force leaders seem to be able to get businesses to come up with lots of money for projects as seen in the prequels and the Trade Federation.
- Getting children back? At the edge of the galaxy planets are run by criminals like the Hutts and slavery is widespread. Even at the height of the Republic and the Jedi they could not control that.
- With the anarchy after ROTJ in parts of the galaxy, lots of baby stealing could be done by rogue Storm Troopers in the outer systems with almost no opposition.

Frankly, I'm happy that TFA doesn't get into the details of the politics of all of this like the prequels did.
It just bogs the story down.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

it is just in my opinion - imo - 🌈

Frankly, I'm happy that TFA doesn't get into the details of the politics of all of this like the prequels did.
The prequel trilogy didn't go into detail either except as to illustrate the approaches that Palpatine took to gain power. That's was the premise of that whole trilogy, whether it could've been less bogged down or not, better rendered or not. The sequel trilogy is built on the premise that the heroes of the OT and PT didn't really accomplish much in the direction of abolishing dictatorship (and fighting the dark side of the Force), throughout the thirty years after the death of the Emperor.

by Jeorj Euler;

"The prequel trilogy didn't go into detail either except as to illustrate the approaches that Palpatine took to gain power. That's was the premise of that whole trilogy, whether it could've been less bogged down or not, better rendered or not."

I pretty much agree with this because I don't have an alternative story with the PT which would require a complete rewrite. And I'm not a professional writer.
Still in the PT we get the details of the politics and economy of Naboo, some hints about the funding of the clone army, a Sith who is in charge of the Confederacy of Independent Systems as well as working for Palpatine and the Confederacy at the same time is going to build the new Death Star.
It can be argued that all of this was necessary. I can't effectively argue with that.
But in retrospect, The PT story at times still feels bogged down. To me at least.

"The sequel trilogy is built on the premise that the heroes of the OT and PT didn't really accomplish much in the direction of abolishing dictatorship (and fighting the dark side of the Force), throughout the thirty years after the death of the Emperor."

Yes, the First Order is presented as an established military/political organization. No details about how the power of this group emerged or the political career of Snoke is given.
This established background allows TFA to immediately get into the conflict between good versus evil with the characters.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

it is just in my opinion - imo - 🌈

Who did they use while they were waiting for their 'recruits' to grow up?
Volunteers or enlisted individuals.

And who did all the recruiting? Was it Ex-Imperials?
Some of the recruiters may have been ex Imperial officers.

Why aren't they in the upper ranks of The First Order?
Who is to say that some of them aren't?

Did they start off as a baby stealing outfit, then secretly start training the babies as soldiers?
Maybe.

Who funded them?
Snoke, or perhaps a predecessor First Order Supreme Leader.

They have a lot of soldiers. Did no one try to get their children back?
Maybe the parents are dead or captured. Maybe the parents don't know what happened to their children. Maybe some parents tried to get their children back and wound up dead or captured.

Did no one else reject their conditioning?
Somebody must have. FN-2187 did eventually if not earlier.

Did they only take human babies that fit the uniforms?
Maybe.

These are all genuine questions,
So?

I'm curious for answers as there was very little background on the First Order in the film.
There doesn't need to be any answers, and it's possible that the answers don't matter. You just happen to be curious. Anyway, the First Order is just another sovereign regime of a nation and solar system (or a collection thereof) out there in the galaxy.

Just as Snoke is the head of state of the First Order:
Palpatine was the head of the Empire/Republic.
Chirpa was the chief of the Ewok village.
Jabba the Hutt was the sultan of Tatooine.
Lando Calrissian was the administrator of Cloud City.
Tarkin was the governor of the Outer Rim Imperial territories.
Bail Organa was the king of Alderaan.
Nute Gunray was the viceroy of the Trade Federation.
Poggle the Lesser was the archduke of Geonosis.
Tarfful was the chieftain of Kashyyyk.
Jamilla was the queen of Naboo.
Lama Su was the prime minister of Kamino.
et al

What more background is needed about any of these societal factions?

I think they mean that they had a spartan-like training. Not literally from birth. How could you train a one week old baby?
Their training might have strarted around the age 4-5-6. People don't have many memories before this age, so it would seem about right why Finn knows he had a family, but most of them stormtroopers don't remember at all and don't care.

How could you train a one week old baby?
It's more about conditioning than training, at that stage, but the concepts are intertwined.

How could you train a one week old baby?
Boiling water, some rope, meat hooks and Nickelback. Lots of Nickelback.

Recall the Finn says that like the other stormtroopers was "taken from a family that he will never know". So he was very young when the First Order or some faction of the Imperial remnants.
General Hux says that they are trained from birth. Not that hard to reconcile those two statements.

They were taken at a very young age, then trained and indoctrinated. Likely most were not taken as soon as they were born, although that could be the case, but not all.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.