Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Is episode 7 just a rip off version of episode 4?

Is episode 7 just a rip off version of episode 4?

There seem to be many parallels between episode 7 and episode 4. Such as Rey being a female Luke Skywalker. Kylo Ren being a kiddy version of darth vader. Luke skywalker now takes on role of old man Kenobi.

Re: Is episode 7 just a rip off version of episode 4?

Uhh... yes! Yes it is a ripoff of ANH. And that is obvious to everyone except TFA apologists and cheerleaders (who are lying to themselves).

"Silly TFA apologists!" = 🙉🙈🙊

No it's not , it's a completely different story using the same template as a new hope , do you have a problem it being told using a successful format? Or do u dislike a new hope?

This has been covered in a zillion posts on this board. To give you a good starting point here is JJ Abrams response to the 'rehash' claims. From there it's really up to you whether you think his take on the mythos was/is a valid one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awakens-and-a-new-hope-similarities/

to theoncastillo566; TFA is a rehash of several Star Wars movies put together. And there are also things in TFA which are new to Star Wars live action movies.

- It is true, there are parts from ANH.
* But there are also parts from Empire;
- Look at the section where Han is confronting Kylo with the dark red lighting. That is from ESB.
- The father / son confrontation, again from Empire.
- The idea of the hologram of Snoke comes from the Emperor hologram in ESB.
- As for the Luke / Rey comparison, some of that works for Luke in the beginning of Empire. He gets his Force pull power in the ice cave in ESB and Rey gets it at the end of TFA.

* And there are parts from ROTJ.
- There are no prominent monsters which eat people in ANH. But there are in TFA (Rathtars) and in ROTJ.
- In TFA, an X-Wing flies inside the Starkiller Base blowing up things. That doesn't happen with the Death Star in ANH but it happens in ROTJ.
- TFA has a major lightsaber battle at the end of the movie. ROTJ also has a big lightsaber fight at the end.
- In TFA the heroes turn off the deflector shield in Starkiller Base. That does not happen with the Death Star in ANH. But the turning off of a shield for the Death Star happened in ROTJ.

* Rey is also sometimes closer to young Anakin in The Phantom Menace than young Luke.
A. Young Anakin is a slave.
Rey is under some kind of financial relationship with the junk boss Unkar Plutt. While not exactly slavery, it is a similar relationship where the workers are economic slaves to Plutt.
- Rey's situation is similar to Young Anakin who is under the control of Watto.
B. Both Rey and young Anakin gather and fix junk parts.
C. Young Anakin has great natural piloting skills with no training.
Young Anakin has never flown any space ship. When he flies the Naboo ship, he instantly becomes one of Naboo's best pilots.
- Rey, while she is a pilot, quickly flies the Millennium Falcon like an expert.
That is more like young Anakin than Luke (who was an accomplished pilot with something similar to an X-Wing).

- Kylo is much closer to older prequel Anakin than anything else in Star Wars.
A. Older prequel Anakin praises Palpatine several times in AOTC and ROTS. He talks about how great Palpatine is.
B. Kylo has this kind of relationship with Snoke and the memory of Vader put together.

** Beyond that, there are parts of TFA which are new to the Star Wars live action franchise.
- Finn, the story of a storm trooper is a completely new addition to the SW franchise.
Finn alone imo blows away the argument that TFA was just a copy of ANH.

- Kylo at the end of TFA has a character moment which is new for a major villain in the live action SW movie franchise. Kylo is seriously wounded before his light saber fights in the woods which greatly hurts his fighting skills.

- Solo goes beyond the OT. It is a growth of the character.
He is no longer the bad boy looking for love with Leia.
He is man with a failed marriage and a son who has become a criminal.
Solo's concerns are different from those of the Jedi since he's a husband and a father.

- Leia as the female general is a role seen before in bits from ROTJ.
But the new thing is that Leia is a mother concerned about her son who has gone bad.
Shmi Skywalker wasn't connected with her son's fall to the dark side.
Leia's character in TFA is new territory for a Star Wars movie.

- Poe is a hotshot rebel pilot and there are those in the OT.
The new thing is that there is more depth with his story than any previous secondary character rebel pilot.

* The final climax of TFA includes finding a Jedi.
That is at the end of TFA, in the middle of ESB (Yoda) and the beginning of ANH (Obi-Wan). Not the same plot structure as ANH.

*** That's things in TFA from all 6 previous Star Wars live action movies and some things which are new to the SW live action films.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

it is just in my opinion - imo - 🌈

BB-15, I commend you on having been a dedicated Abrams Apologist for a very long time.

by RomaVictorrrr;

"BB-15, I commend you on having been a dedicated Abrams Apologist for a very long time."

Wrong.
I have never defended "Star Trek: Into Darkness" on IMDb which was directed by Abrams.
I have never been a fan of "Lost" on IMDb. I couldn't get through the first episode which was directed by Abrams.
I am not a defender of everything that Abrams has directed.

* The reason that I conclude that TFA has rehashes from several live action Star Wars movies (and not just ANH) is because it is a fact.
- For instance in TFA there is a scene with dark red lighting where a father confronts a son (Han and Kylo).
In Empire there is also a scene with dark red lighting where a father confronts a son (Vader and Luke).
That is a similarity of the color of lighting and character situation.
- A scene like this does not happen in ANH.
This answers the OP's question;

Is episode 7 just (or only) a rip off version of episode 4?

The answer to that based on the Star Wars live action movies is clearly no.
This is why I mention the things in my TFA list which are not rehashes of ANH.

Imo at least, BB ;-)

it is just in my opinion - imo - 🌈

Wow OP, you're not exactly Mr Current Affairs are you.

It depends on your point of view.

Some people see similarity as a good thing, especially if done in a proper way.

Others will hate it and use it as a stick to beat the film with.

I couldn't imagine a Star Wars film that didn't have nods/similarities to previous instalments.

You can't have a Star Wars film without a protagonist force user, an antagonist force user, wise old characters etc etc.

For me, The Force Awakens was a race movie - who could get to Skywalker first.
If it's the Resistance, then a future for the Jedi can be salvaged, if it's the First Order then potentially all hope is lost.

It had new characters, new worlds and fascinating developments for Star Wars lore, such as:

- Han and Leia had a child following Jedi
- Luke starts to train young Jedi
- Ben is pulled to the dark side
- Ben (with others perhaps) slaughters the young Jedi
- Luke vanishes (perhaps looking for first Jedi temple)
- Hosnian prime is obliterated (senate/new republic)
- Han and Leia go their own ways

There's arguably more to chew on in TFA then with any other film (arguably because we knew what was going on in prequels)

The user score and the critic score is 8.1 and 81 respectively meaning that these similarities are considered well used as opposed to rehashed.

For me, The Force Awakens was a race movie - who could get to Skywalker first.
If it's the Resistance, then a future for the Jedi can be salvaged, if it's the First Order then potentially all hope is lost.

Most of which involved chasing BB8 for a secret map fragment... in almost the exact same manner R2D2 was chased in ANH. Only Luke's cameo at the end was an original element.

It had new characters,

True.

new worlds

Only Takadona was new! The other "new" worlds were copy-and-paste ripoffs from ANH and TESB.

and fascinating developments for Star Wars lore, such as:

- Han and Leia had a child following Jedi

Okay... new

- Luke starts to train young Jedi

Happens offscreen...

- Ben is pulled to the dark side

Nothing new or original about this concept

- Ben (with others perhaps) slaughters the young Jedi
- Luke vanishes (perhaps looking for first Jedi temple)

Both happened offscreen! (Only footnotes mentioned in the movie).

- Hosnian prime is obliterated (senate/new republic)

Yes, but not entirely new to SW (Alderaan blown up by Death Star in ANH).

- Han and Leia go their own ways

An offscreen development. But the drama between them surrounding Kylo is new.

There's arguably more to chew on in TFA then with any other film (arguably because we knew what was going on in prequels)

That largely depends on your perspective...

Most of which involved chasing BB8 for a secret map fragment... in almost the exact same manner R2D2 was chased in ANH. Only Luke's cameo at the end was an original element.

One droid was given a holographic message to give to Obi-wan to help rescue a Princess from the Empire. This message was delivered to the recipient in about 30 minutes.

BB8 on the other hand was given a navigational chart to the last Jedi. The entire film was centered around getting BB8 to the resistance base before the First Order could intercept it and slaughter Luke.

I also like the fact that given these differences, both droids were used as a means to store/share information which is part of their make up.

Only Takadona was new! The other "new" worlds were copy-and-paste ripoffs from ANH and TESB.

Nah, not a valid criticism. There were plenty of new worlds. Just because you see sand and snow doesn't mean it's a rip off. There are only so many elements you can use and with 6 Star Wars under our belts, it's a little difficult to have new worlds without showing grass, deserts, snow, lava etc etc.

happens offscreen

Which is exactly what made the OT so good. The power of A New Hope was telling a story without having to exhibit it visually. It was achieved with hindsight dialogue which is the exact narrative technique TFA uses.

Anyone who thinks ANH didn't build Star Wars lore just because things weren't visually exhibited is nuts - same applies with TFA.

One droid was given a holographic message to give to Obi-wan to help rescue a Princess from the Empire.
That, and the Death Star plans, which are equivalent to the map to Luke.

"Have to say, Jimmy - you turned into a real impressive fighter. If I was ol' Mengsk, I'd be runnin' scared from you, too."
"You really mean that, Tychus?"
"Nah. I was just kiddin'."

One droid was given a holographic message to give to Obi-wan to help rescue a Princess from the Empire. This message was delivered to the recipient in about 30 minutes.

BB8 on the other hand was given a navigational chart to the last Jedi. The entire film was centered around getting BB8 to the resistance base before the First Order could intercept it and slaughter Luke.

As the other poster brought out, R2D2 also had the Death Star plans. So same thing as BB8.

I also like the fact that given these differences, both droids were used as a means to store/share information which is part of their make up.

See above.

Nah, not a valid criticism. There were plenty of new worlds. Just because you see sand and snow doesn't mean it's a rip off. There are only so many elements you can use and with 6 Star Wars under our belts, it's a little difficult to have new worlds without showing grass, deserts, snow, lava etc etc.

Nah, not a valid defense. TFA is the only SW movie to so closely duplicate so many previous environments, the only one. (Almost all taken from ANH).

Which is exactly what made the OT so good. The power of A New Hope was telling a story without having to exhibit it visually. It was achieved with hindsight dialogue which is the exact narrative technique TFA uses.

Really? Such as?... (I noticed you didn't give any examples). I totally disagree.

Anyone who thinks ANH didn't build Star Wars lore just because things weren't visually exhibited is nuts - same applies with TFA.

Nothing significant to the story or characters happened offscreen in ANH. (Despite your proclamation). I can't say the same for TFA.

The answer is a clear YES, it is. This has even been admitted (with the words "rip-off") by the filmmakers.

It rips of approx 85-90% of ANH story beats and designs, but there is lot Empire and Jede and EU too (Kylo's saber, or Stormtrooper defecting, or beautiful female desert scavenger is from EU).

There are hundreds on essays and vids on this; here is a good one I just watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngg2uBK2j8s

🐾Dictated but not read 🐾

I wouldn't call it a rip-off but rather a parody that belongs to a SNL skit.

Oh, so you just awoken from a coma. Welcome back among the living.

No. It has many of the same ingredients (as all of the OT films), but is packaged in a unique manner. A new chapter beginning the new story.

It's like poetry.

TFA rehashes ANH more than any other SW movie rehashed another by a very, very wide margin. In fact it rehashed a previous movie of it's franchise more than any other movie ever has. That's why when fans and makers of TFA say it isn't a reboot/remake, and then take it one step further and deny it rips off ANH and insist TFA doesn't rehash any more than any other SW movie, they just sound delusional.

"People are idiots!" - Jan_El_Senor

Yep.