Star Wars: The Force Awakens : C-3PO's arm

C-3PO's arm

Anyone know the reason for C-3PO's left arm being red?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: C-3PO's arm

I believe there is some explanation in the comics, but I am not privy to it.

Toy sales.

"Silly TFA apologists!" = 🙉🙈🙊

Toy sales.

also not explained because of lazy writing. like Luke's lightsaber " it's a story for another time, give us time to figure it out"

even equiped with a shovel and you couldn't dig this

" it's a story for another time, give us time to figure it out"
In the Blu Ray commentary, Abrams says that they did have an elaborate backstory of how Maz got the lightsaber, they just decided to leave it out and allow that piece of the story to be told later.

also not explained because of lazy writing. like Luke's lightsaber " it's a story for another time, give us time to figure it out"

One of the biggest strengths of the OT was not revealing the story and in fact at times, misdirecting the audience.

This ultimately made both Empire and Jedi better.

Some people still haven't figured this out and are showing real ignorance of true Star Wars lore.

The difference with TFA of course is 30 years of narrative. There are those out there that expect the film to tell you every microscopic detail or as commonly known.. spoon-fed

Others, see this is a quick way of showing the passing of time. It's a good narrative technique in my opinion and the colour of C3P0s arm is neither relevant nor 'lazy writing' - It's just a gimmick

As for Lukes lightsabre, it's so intriguing to think about how it was recovered and ended up at Maz's castle.

I love that we don't know and as Maz put it, that's a story for another day.

Maybe the overarching points were left to wonder...like the history of that galaxy, the jedi, the force, the sith... but the questions weren't thrown at you directly, they were the background. TFA throws flashbacks, confusing character motivations, blips of a mysterious bad guy leader, nonsense about a resistance force defending the entire galaxy, a robot in a coma that wakes up for the sake of the plot, hinting at a story regarding Luke's sabre, Chewie's sudden submissive behavior toward someone other than Han, and on top of that they literally say "I bet you wonder why my arm is red".

There's more, but the point is that they're all inconsistent with the SW theme. Why do these obvious mystery morsels make the film good? How do these scenes/behaviors enhance the film by creating trivial speculation?

But TFA doesn't reveal ANYTHING. Literally, we don't know anything about Rey's past, don't know anything about Finns past (other than being a stormtrooper), don't know anything about Poe's past, don't know anything about snoke, don't know who the first order is or the who the resistance is. People complain about rogue one not having enough character development when in reality it had more in the first 5 minutes than TFA had for ANY of its characters throughout the entire movie. Kylo ren was the most fleshed out character which is why he is by far my favorite new character. The OT might have had slight misdirections but we learned more than enough about the characters and politics in ANH alone. In TFA we learn less about characters and politics than you would in the pilot of a TV show.

He joined the Red Army.

"I have a Galactic dream!"

The reason teased as to why his arm was red, was answered in a comic book, you can buy. The reason why in the last scene he suddenly had a golden arm again, was never explained.

That simple thing says a lot about the movie.
de gustibus non est disputandum

Why do they have to explain why he has a red arm or about how he got his golden arm reinstalled it's fairly obvious. Arm damaged, uses red arm while waiting for old arm to get fixed, its simple and irrelevant. Besides the red arm exist for selling new merchandise or C3PO that's the real reason, I got a cool mug out of it.

That was in TESB. And the answer is fairly obvious. R2D2 is soldering him back together. He had been in pieces. And apparently Chewbacca grabbed a silver lower leg in his haste to collect all of C3PO's parts from the ugnaughts and the furnace.

Nope. C3P0 had a silver leg from the start in 1977.

Perpetual outrage is the most popular religion today.

Why do they have to explain
They don't have to. But it is not too consistent and satisfying having C-3PO waving goodby with a siver arm that was a red arm (and referrenced as such) just a scene before. This minor irritation stands for the bigger picture and plot holes, such as the search for Luke storyline resolved through - confirmed - deus ex machina events (e.g. R2 conveniently awakening at the end, and nobody bothering looking for the map in Luke's mysteriously left behind droid) and all.

Why does he have a half silver leg in ANH?

OMG PLOT HOLE!!!!

Why was he clean in the last scene of the movie?!

Perpetual outrage is the most popular religion today.

And if you say they polished him up for the ceremony, you are an APOLOGIST!

OMG PLOT HOLE!!!!
No need to get your panties in a twist, Sunny. I can help with that:

- It's not a logical inconsistency in the sense of a plot hole to have half a silver leg (it indicates used universe history) OR even to have a red arm.

- However, it may be a plot hole if in one scene there is a red arm (explicitly mentioned and referred to), but a few seconds later, in the next scene, C-3PO has a silver arm again. That may be qualified as an (minor) plot hole and/or an continuity error, whatever it was.

Like in real life, precise laser-brain like precision is of the essence with such cases to warrant an exact delineation and qualifications, and to avoid confusion of the gneral public. Glad to be of service, I will send my invoice per PM.

3PO actually says that he needs to have his proper arm reinstalled. Then he does. Not an inconsistency, nor a plot hole.

If so, IMO it would just be poor execution seeing the droid waiving his silver arm goodby, after having a red arm a scene before. 'Member, in the old days we actually saw them repair C-3PO's lost arms and limbs en passant (or Luke's limbs), and it was always hillarious and /or interesting.

This is hardly one of the film's problems though.

Di$ney's corporate boardroom think tank: Hey, How about we make C-3P0's arm red randomly? That'll give the idiots another pointless mystery to fan theory about for at least a year like they love to do. We'll just make up some bullcrap later.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. u007f
https://goo.gl/fZ0xWS

👆
This!

It was so obvious why they did it. C3PO even shamelessly comments about it in his opening line. ("Captain Solo... you're probably wondering why I have a red arm?") As if to subliminally brainwash the audience into doing the very thing that @Aniki21 is talking about... in addition to motivating the kids to run out and buy his red armed version right after the movie. Then the whole red arm dynamic oddly disappears at the end of the movie.

The whole thing was to pander to fan fiction theories and merchandise.

Jar Jar Abrams used that arm to jerk himself off. Some of the blood stain couldn't be rubbed off so they painted it all red.

ACTUALLY Blood dries either brown or black...

^ Serial killer

Er, no. I've just had to clean blood off my own clothing from accidents I've had, or seen othrs. EG, if I shave and cut myself and use a washcloth to tap the wound, and forget to clean it, the coth is stained brown or black.

I know. I was joking with you.

Sometime after Return of the Jedi Admiral Ackbar is kidnapped.

While attempting to rescue him 3PO and an Imperial droid are stuck in a desert together.

To pass the time they begin having philosophical discussions about free will and droids memory.
Are droids more than their programming?
3PO reveals that he has flashes of memory from his days before his memory wipe.

The droids, though enemies, begin to respect one another.
On this planet there are acid rain storms.

The two droids find a small cave for shelter but not before 3PO has his arm melted away.

The imperial droid is more heavily armored and sacrifices himself to allow 3PO to hide in the cave.

It can only fit one of them.

The droids continue talking as the dark imperial droid melts away.

It is revealed that the droid has Red primer on his body as eventually he melts away and stops functioning.

3PO takes the droids arm in his now friends memory.

A very good one shot written by
James Robinson.

It forces obsessed fans with buying the new version of the toy and they also released a comic explaining why he now has a red arm. So the answer is C-3PO now has a read arm to boost toy sales and increase interest in the new expanded universe storied. Genius marketing really.

Genius marketing really.
I'd say painfully unispired and unimaginative marketing rather, standing for the entire film and it's repainted rehash approach.

JJ Abrams: "Its a mystery! Isn't that cool?!"

"Not all change is progress, as not all movement is forward."