Star Wars: The Force Awakens : I've tried to remain loyal, god knows I have...

I've tried to remain loyal, god knows I have...

But the returning band of originals just looked horrible. I feel like a $#!+ for saying that. Now at least Han & Chewy, Luke and even the Millennium Falcon entered to cheers and applause. Poor Carrie Fisher walked off her ship and the crowd fell silent. Not in awe of her timeless beauty, but rather because they were so jarred by her. Listen, now may not be the time, but we can all agree, excessive smoking, alcohol and drugs can and will take their toll on a person. I'm not sure if this was the same for Mark Hammill. Even his appearance wasn't exactly time honored. He just looked like a pissed off old man with Bell's.

Look at what they did for Ep 1's hideous Yoda. Look at what they did for certain characters in Rogue One. How about getting a little CGI for the ones we love? I would rather see our characters time honored, not ridiculed. I'm not asking to make them thirty again. Just a better sixty.

Re: I've tried to remain loyal, god knows I have...

I can't wait to see what you look like when you get old...geez.

Oh I am. And it's bad. I need some good CGI and a lot of it. LOL

Leia's first appearance in TFA, and her consequent role, were one of my favourite parts of the movie. I figured they were going to dress her in Jedi robes and give her a token cameo teaching younglings on Coruscant or some such crap. Instead they brought her back to what made her great before she was shoehorned into the ridiculous 'Jedi sister' role. Seeing General Leia as a veteran warrior showing the young pups a thing or two about running a rebellion was a delight. I thought the interaction between her and Han was great too.

But to each their own. I thought Carrie was awesome in this film. CGI Tarkin and Leia were too distracting in Rogue One. Those effects are going to look embarrassing in a few years. Maybe we should stop being so vain and just accept that people age. No-one seemed too bothered by how Alec Guiness looked at age 62 in Ep 4.

Respectfully, I'll start by agreeing with you. Leila's placement in this Ep are rightfully proud moments for her character. And Leia has long been a favorite character of mine in the SWU.

My comments are not intended to ridicule her for the life she has lived and what she has put herself through. But it is what it is and unfortunately, the result has put her into a harsh light that HAS subjected her to ridicule by many people who still joke about her a year later. I am not joking along with them. I'm just saying it's a disappointment to hear them joking and at least get why. If nothing else, just flatter her in a way that will honor her character. Let's face it. The jokes started before the movie did. People are unkind anymore and I don't think she had a fair chance at commanding the respect her character deserved. Do I think it's right to want this kind of change? Of course not. It's hideously hurtful and offensive. But so is being the brunt of coke jokes.

Also, I liked the work done to include Tarkin and young Leia. I appreciated their presence, with or without flaws.

And Alec Guinness looked awesome at 62 for Ep 4. But he hadn't put his body through hell either.

I see what you're saying, but I think enhancing characters with CGI is even more insulting (unless it's merely using movie magic to make them actually younger, like young Tony Stark in Civil War). The fact is these characters are now 30 years older - basically playing themselves in real-time (give or take 2 or 3 years).

Alec was obviously great as Obi Wan, but he didn't look young. The actors playing Owen and Beru were both around 60 at the time of Ep 4 (prequel canon notwithstanding). They look older than Carrie to me.

I'll be honest, I didn't think Carrie was going to pull this off, so I'm not being so PC about this myself! I'd seen a few interviews over the years and, if nothing else, she seemed kinda crazy! But as soon as she stepped off that transport in TFA and had that beautiful slightly sarcastic twinkle in her eyes I was in love again. Leia was back!

She was very poorly utilized in Episode VII. They should have realistically looked at who she is today and cast her role more to suit that. There was nothing stopping her from being an older lady who commanded from a chair.

Instead they put in an unflattering uniform, made her walk out of her ship and gave her some godawful exposition and dialogue. I swear when they first said she was returning I just pictured her reclining under a blanket like Yoda in Return of the Jedi. Just giving out some grandmother-like advice to the new characters because everyone knows she's not the same as she was. Everyone but JJ it seems. He did a real disservice using her character like he did.

I hope to god her need to get back in shape for the role he pushed her into did not have a hand in her heart attack.

She was very poorly utilized in Episode VII.

I'll have to disagree. It was ok to see all the old familiar characters, but this trilogy should be about the new ones. Leia and Han should be in the "back seat" as the new characters should be the ones leading the way.

"Id wash Shnoke! He shedushed or shon to da dark shide."
de gustibus non est disputandum