Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Rogue One Just... (no spoilers)

Rogue One Just... (no spoilers)

hammers home every single awful thing about TFA.

It had a strong female lead that wasn't a Mary Sue.
It was an original story (within the confines of fleshing out an existing plot point)
It added to the Star Wars universe and story
It didn't p*ss all over existing characters

and above all...

It made *beep* sense!

It wasn't perfect, far from it, but it was a decent, exciting war movie that didn't manage to trash the universe that the originals created.

And it only took 5 attempts to get it right!

Re: Rogue One Just... (no spoilers)

Oh I agree. Rouge One was n many ways what The FOrce Awakens should have been. However, the smaller scope I htink was intentional and needed. Thi sisn't part of the Saga, so much as a side story, and it needed ot not overshadow the main.

de gustibus non est disputandum

the TFA Haters all agree....Particularly Jedan

Yes, thank you for clarifying that, Junkie. I was trying to indicate this complex notion by employing the finger symbol pointing at the OP and me at teh same time.

Alas, despite the brevity of your input there are two non sequiturs and errors that I have to point out: No, not "all TFA Haters" agree, some dislike RO even more (which seems utterly absurd to me), and some TFA fanboys dislike it too (which makes perfect sense). And it's not "particularly" me agreeing with OP.
de gustibus non est disputandum

Yup. In my opinion Rogue One expanded the OT and surprisingly Gareth Edwards respected the timeline, characters and events from the PT...

It was a great experience watching Rogue One indeed...

It fully naked out TFA in every aspect...

Why Star Wars: The Force Awakens sucks: https://youtu.be/8g9cJ5WKZeU

I agree,TFA got about a 6 from me but R1 got an 8.5. Much better than TFA, not perfect but good. Hopefully because of Jyn Rey would be written better for episode 8. I wouldn't hold my breath, but here's hoping. I do want to like Rey.

Rogue One was a great movie. It definitely fleshed out a lot of backstory for A New Hope.

If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now.-Loki (Marvel's Avengers)

Agreed...it's kind of sad, really. Edwards should have had more involvement in directing TFA, and obviously someone else should have written it. He's definitely a visual director, that's for sure. Loved some of the expansive shots...still, as you say, it wasn't perfect...lot of things made me shake my head, but the story had structure, and even though I knew how it would end, I wasn't bored.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The ROuge One CHaracters were intentionally replacable, though. We ar't gpign to see them past htis film and the FIlmakers did not want us too attatched to them. That's not really a flaw to the film, just a descision to help the Franchise move forwardpast Rouge One.

Suspense? Humor? Pacing??! What the hell did you watch!?

I'm happy the fan service wasn't MORE than we saw in Rogue One...Even what was there was a bit much for me. Still gets a solid 7/10, TFA is, for me, a 1/10...if it weren't related to the SW universe, and it was just a generic Sci-Fi, I might rate it 2/10..

TFA was so much more fun. More interesting and less faceless and replaceable characters, better music, better pacing, better acting, better suspense,better humor, better fan service. There is no way R1 is a better movie.

You are still in the poop jokes don't you, Jar Jar? Stop the drugs...

Why Star Wars: The Force Awakens sucks: https://youtu.be/8g9cJ5WKZeU

Sledgehammer is a low-effort troll. Everything they type is straight doo-doo.

I liked both films.

Perpetual outrage is the most popular religion today.

I was not expecting to like Rogue One as much as I did. It was such a breath of fresh air, even for being so closely tied into the OT.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I feel like Jyn--I was cynical and jaded about almost all the new Star Wars (like she was cynical about the Rebellion), then I saw a movie (holo-recording), and suddenly we had hope again.

------------------------------
"Official canon" doesn't matter when it's all fiction anyway.