Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Should have started with peace in the SW universe

Should have started with peace in the SW universe

The Rebel Alliance did destroy the Empire in ep 6. There were 30 years of relative peace in the galaxy. The start of The Force Awakens could/should have shown the peace - perhaps a New Republic conference to mark the period of peace and then da da daaaaaaaa! - the Empire - just some tiny remnant - attacks the conference. The New Republic is under attack! And the story unfolds and this lead to the return of the Empire.

The Empire has some battered old stardestroyers and tie-fighters. It's now in league with an underworld group that has helped to finance it. The underworld has some new weapons tech to help the Empire beat the New Republic. That would be an important part of the plot - to show the return of the Empire is fairly weak and needs to work with the underworld.

I would have preferred that story approach because it respects the ending of ep 7. As it stands, TFA doesn't explain how the First Order came to power, it's just there. I didn't like that. Felt a bit lazy.

I'd have scrapped the Han son subplot too. The first time Han sees his son his son kills him. Not much character development there! Basically I'd have preferred an entirely different story to what we got in TFA. Oh well, can't please everyone!

Re: Should have started with peace in the SW universe

The Rebel Alliance did destroy the Empire in ep 6.

They destroyed its superweapon and killed its leader and his right hand man. They did not destroy the Empire.

There were 30 years of relative peace in the galaxy.

Says who?

"Who can't use the Force now?! I can still use the Force!" - Yarael Poof

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I was offering an alternative vision of ep 7. My idea how it could have been done. I wasn't stating it as fact. If you thought I was, that wasn't my intention. It's just some ideas how you could have respected the ending of ep 6 rather than dismiss it.

My biggest problem with TFA is the way Abrams and Kasdan dismissed the ending of ep 6. They didn't bother to explain how The First Order rose to power. I know there are the SW Aftermath novels which go into the backstory but they're novels, TFA is a movie. I'd liked some decent backstory in the movie - none was present!

They never bothered to explain how the Empire came to power for over twenty years after ANH.

They did not dismiss the ending of episode VI. The Alliance achieved its objective, which was to topple the Emperor. After which they would have immediately restored the senate but the Imperial network was embedded throughout the galaxy.

It's not like a magic spell was broken and the galaxy went all good again after the Emperor died.

If you watched the prequels, you'll have seen how it took three movies to show how the galaxy was undermined, split apart and then pulled together again under Palpatine, for the worse.

Do we really want three movies to depict reversal of that process beat for beat? The First Order is rising because. The alliance and the new republic it set up with the restored senate had not the will or the resources to force a total and unconditional surrender of every former Imperial territory. It settled for peace throughout the galaxy without the Republic covering every part of the that territory.

Now the Republic is failing at that peace. The First Order is exploiting the appeasement policy to consolidate their power in non-Republic territory while the Republic are fighting a proxy war. This has given the First Order the excuse to launch a pre-emptive strike at the government of the New Republic and its fleet. Sort of like Pearl Harbour. Nazi Germany used the same excuses in 1939 but they invented the threats that justified their aggressive war.

I have not read any Star Wars books, novelisations etc. Anyone with a modest knowledge earth history and wars can appreciate the way that the current landscape of the galaxy in this trilogy can come about.

"Who can't use the Force now?! I can still use the Force!" - Yarael Poof

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Last I checked Saddam Hussein was not overthrown. His country was invaded, with the occupation force remaining, and making it into a puppet state. Kinda reminds of France and Nazi Germany, with the U.S. forces being the Nazis.

They destroyed its superweapon and killed its leader and his right hand man.

if it's analogous to earth, this would have created financial and political waves across the galaxy. most likely the first 10 years after ROTJ was have been marked by crippling depression and leaders vying for control. it wouldn't have been galaxy wide peace. happily ever after doesn't happen.

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

Agreed...the Empire was 1000s of star systems. It definitely would not have come up smelling like roses instantly.

I agree it would've been nice to see a happier beginning, especially coming after the victory in Return of the Jedi.

In their rush to copy A New Hope, I think the filmmakers wanted to recreate the beginning situation of ANH and could only do it by dismissing the ROTJ ending.

How nice would it have been to see the New Republic post-Vader? Instead, Leia is an old maid, not married to Solo. Solo is STILL A SMUGGLER. Luke takes the role of Yoda hiding away after a defeat already.

If we had seen all this and then see the First Order rise, might've been more interesting. To me anyway.

Agreed!

Hell yeah. But instead of an underworld group, I would use a Sith/Dark Side organization (maybe descended from a cabal of Dark Siders controlled by Palpatine, maybe an expy of the Brotherhood of Darkness) that secretly took control of the Imperial Remnant for years now and are in possession of the Star Forge (yes I am stealing from KOTOR, whatever) which bolsters the Empire's battered military since it hasn't controlled the Galaxy's resources for 30 years now.
Meanwhile, Luke's New Jedi Order is reformed and spread throughout the galaxy.

"Not all change is progress, as not all movement is forward."

I agree. Jarjar Abrams made the victory in Jedi essentially meaningless

EU has as much conflict after the fall of the Emperor...silly argument, don't you think?

I don't think the EU ever had such a teethless and decapitated New Republic / Galactic Federation of Free Alliances or a New Jedi Order that got wiped out offscreen by less than 10 people and Luke Skywalker exiles himself for 10 years doing nothing.

"Not all change is progress, as not all movement is forward."

Conflict that didnt set the characters back entirely .

@dinkywinky123 My only problem with that is how long it would take to go from peace to having a threatening First Order.

As long or as short as the screenwriters need for it to be entertaining and make sense

The problem with your premise - and I mean absolutely no insult here - is that it's exactly what I did expect would be the case with Ep 7. I also figured the original cast would be there as a mere token generational nod - Leia and Han happily married, Leia in Jedi robes teaching younglings, Luke as wise old head of Jedi Order. The Empire (or whoever) would sneak in from the edges, the 'new hope' would be some Luke-type who's shown a few signs of Force -stuff etc etc.

How do you add an episode to a saga that doesn't need one? How do you 'start again' without repeating The Phantom Menace (galaxy in peacetime, subtle threat emerges etc etc)?

The beauty of TFA (for me) was that it skipped the 'boring bits' and threw us into the heart of the action. It may have embedded everything in the obvious bedrock of ANH to bring back 'that Star Wars feeling', but while we were nestled in that relative sense of comfort we were having all of our preconceptions blown to bits. The peacetime didn't last. Luke's Jedi Order failed. Han and Leia's marriage failed. Rather than be a celebrated war hero, Han has returned to the underworld to flee his private grief. Han and Leia's son is the bad guy!

You're right - it does kind of trash ROTJ to a point. Maybe I don't mind because ROTJ was always a little too cute for me. But I think TFA, in order to rate as a valid sequel, needed to do this. A 'slow burn' approach would have felt too obvious I think.