Star Wars: The Force Awakens : Interstellar space travel but terrible weapons?

Interstellar space travel but terrible weapons?

Why do the Stormtroopers have weapons that don't cause much damage (it puts a dark spot on a tree when the tree is hit, whoopee) and rarely ever make contact with anybody? A simple machine gun would be much better than what they're carrying. If it's an advanced space-traveling race, wouldn't they have better guns? I don't get it. Any theories?

JD

Re: Interstellar space travel but terrible weapons?

Not meant to be something to lose sleep over. If you think about it there are so many elements of the saga that defy real world logic and physics that it's pointless to make an issue of them. Film is after all meant as an avenue for escapism. Certainly films such as the seven (soon to be more) films of the Star Wars saga. For my money Star Wars is the ultimate in escapism. Focusing on the illogic of it is to deliberately try to ruin the fun, F that.

What does interstellar travel have to do with handgun technology?

Oh, that's right... nothing.

I kinda get what the OP is saying.
You'd think if there were enough advanced technology for interstellar space travel, hyper-space drive, etc....that there would be some REALLY advanced and effective weaponry.

If they have enough advanced technology to create androids with intelligence and even EMOTIONS....you'd think they'd be a bit more advanced looking (and cyborg-esque) than some 1960's-looking comic book "robot".

If they have enough advanced technology to create androids with intelligence and even EMOTIONS....you'd think R2-D2 (and ALL the droids) would be able to communicate in English, rather than "beeps". LOL

ANd if there's enough advanced technology for inter-galactic hyper-space travel...there'd be enough technology for each and every person to have a communication device at least as advanced as an i-Phone. None of the main characters in the Star Wars movies are ever able to communicate with each other! Heck, I can't go anywhere on Earth without my family and girlfriend being able to reach me in a nano-second.

And I won't even START on the goofy, sophomoric names for things...like "the force"....the "Death Star"...."Star Destroyers", etc, etc.

Sure, Lucas had a decent concept when he launched this tale in space, because we really hadn't seen much of this prior to SW in 1977. But....he (Lucas) writes at a very basic level, geared primarily for kids.

None of the main characters in the Star Wars movies are ever able to communicate with each other

what movie were you watching?
"shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level!"
"Echo 3 to Echo 7. Han, old buddy, you read me?"
"What is thy bidding, my Master?"

just to mention a few. there's also plenty of communication holograms across the galaxy, like when Kenobi is on Kamino talking to the Jedi Council.

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

what movie were you watching?
"shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level!"
"Echo 3 to Echo 7. Han, old buddy, you read me?"
"What is thy bidding, my Master?"

just to mention a few. there's also plenty of communication holograms across the galaxy, like when Kenobi is on Kamino talking to the Jedi Council.

Yes, those are good points. A few exceptions to the rule, I suppose. But even those exceptions...have glaring limitations, which help PROVE the rule. ;)
The "communicators" used between Luke and C-3PO looked like they were talking into a pen light. LOL. Even my i-Phone 2 had Internet, GPS and text!

And the "holograms".....I'll give them a (little) credit on that one. But again, if there's enough technology for hologram capability, you'd think the picture would be crystal clear HD! The holograms all looked like grainy, analog TV which needed the rabbit ear antennae adjusted.

Also, if there's enough technology for hyper-space travel, space ships, holograms, laser weapons, etc....where are all the computers?

It's kinda funny, how they could forecast (SOME) futuristic technology back in the 70's and get it right, but not others. Look at Star Trek....Gene Roddenberry kinda nailed it in terms of the flip-phone communicators.....but yet, the control panels on the bridge had zero computers. Just a bunch of square, red and yellow blinking buttons and lights. When you need to fill-up a bunch of space on a control panel in a space ship....fill it with a bunch of the same looking, nondescript buttons and switches.

Some other examples (of trying to firecast future technology....when making a movie in the 70's, which is set in the future:

Blade Runner....had flying cars and spaceships....but they still had pay phones, no cell phones!

How about in ROllerball (the James Caan version). They had laser guns....they had cool doors in their apartments which slide open top-to-bottom.....they had cool, big screen TVs....yet they still had shag carpet, and no cell phones.

Apparently only Roddenberry had the foresight to conceive of universally-used, hand-held communicators.

Anyway, I'm not criticizing. There's a special place in my heart for the Star Wars films, flaws and all. I'm just having a little fun with it.

The Holograms I Think are cntextual, meant for the audience to know what they are. I imagine in Real Life, Luke did see a High Def Princess Lea.

I'll give you that.
But please explain away the shag carpet in Rollerball! :)

I'm more curious as to why people in the 21st Century were stll usign audio cassetts in that film. Obviously ROllerball prevented Technological Advancement! Mayeb its for the best. Technological Advcenemtn made Arnold a Terminator, in Rollerball he's just some bloke.

Uh, both rely on technology? What are you, some kind of dumbass?!

So, if we were visited by an alien race that conquered interstellar space travel and then one of them felt threatened and pulled out a 1980's slingshot for his weapon, you wouldn't find that the slightest bit odd?!?!

JD

It's roots are based in retro sci fi. It's more of an aesthetic than actual coherant setting.

Grant discovered raptor eggs in Jurassic Park

I thought that the problem weren't the weapons but the fact that all Stormtroopers are either cross-eyed or blind.

You have to remember that whilst Star Wars is science fiction, it's sci-fi that harkens back to the days of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, along with Edgar Rice Burroughs Martian Tales. Blasters are just cooler than machine guns in a Star Wars context.

Star Trek's no different with Phasers. The numbers of times when a simple slug thrower would've done the job more effectively... except when heating rocks in cold situations, of course. ;-) But would they be as much fun?

One of the biggest problems faced by sci-fi writers is finding a balance between the dangers faced by the characters and the technological means of averting those problems. During the run of the original Star Trek series, the first order of business at many script conferences was finding a plausible way to "Get Rid Of The Ship". If Kirk and his companions merely had to call the Entreprise to beam them out of harms way (or to blast enemies from the heavens), there could be no sense of dramatic tension. In a similar fashion, the original Dr Who series eventually eliminated the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver as it has become an overused crutch for the writers. The gadget started as a simple tool, but by the time it was taken away the Doctor had used it for unlocking doors, detonating mine fields, scrambling the circuits of enemy robots and removing all kinds of inconvenient plot obstacles. Ironically, sci-fi has less entertainment value if the sci outweighs the fi.

TFA is a poor movie because it is lazily written without an intelligent balance between such factors.

Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi. I mean if you compare it to Star Trek; virtually every TV episode has a -super technobabble- explanation for the new gizmo they rolled out this week, from warp drive (Anti matter reactors), holograms (force fields & photon projections) and torpedoes. (Yet more anti-matter)

Whereas Star Wars treats the super-tech as the every day thing, with no explanation. I mean, aside from the odd mention of a 'hyperdrive motivator', have we ever oficially learned how the ships actually enter hyperspace? How a lightsaber blade actually 'turns back on itself, rather than continuing forever, or who came up with the universally dumb name of 'blasters'.

As for the machine gun thing; I'd imagine it's easier to carry a bunch of spare battery packs for a blaster, than it is to carry a hundred thousand rounds of ammunition.

"Do not pity the dead, pity the living. And, above all, those who live without love." Dumbledore

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

or who came up with the universally dumb name of 'blasters'.

Ha! Yes, that's another one. Along with numerous other rudimentary, juvenile names of things....like spaceships called "Star Destroyers"......a mystical religion called simply "The Force"........and my favorite, "The Death Star". Really?? "The DEATH STAR"?

But your "blaster" example is fantastic. I forgot about that one.