Star Wars: The Force Awakens : How to get into the new EU?

How to get into the new EU?

I was a huge EU nut before Disney came down with the chop. Afterwards I got depressed for a while, but of late I've been getting back into star wars, rewatching the Clone Wars, and I would love to give the new EU a shot. I know there are some books and comics out, but where should I start and what are some highlights from the new canon universe?

Re: How to get into the new EU?

EU was never canon.

I didn't ask if it was.

It doesn't matter. It has always been irrelevant.

The only things I've read are Dark Disciple, Tarkin, and A New Dawn. I enjoyed them, so I'd recommend them. I've heard Aftermath is trash, so I'd avoid it. Everything else I've noticed so far seems "ehh," so I don't know much about them (though I will say that Bloodlines sounds like what we should have gotten for Episode 7, at least as far as the "Darth Vader is my father" thing coming out into the open goes--I haven't heard anything about the rest of the story).

With A New Dawn, you might not like it as much if you haven't seen Rebels--and if you hate Rebels you might like this more anyway (I like it more); it has a much darker tone, among other things.

------------------------------
"Official canon" doesn't matter when it's all fiction anyway.

I was a fan of the Del Rey era EU (basically most stuff that came out from 1999 onwards), and have mourned the death of the now Legends material. That being said I highly recommend the Canon books Lost Stars, Bloodline, and the Aftermath books. They are all good books. A more detailed fleshing out of the years between Episodes VI and VII probably won't be had until the ST is concluded. As such that era remains mostly a mystery canonically speaking.

last i heard they were talking about an animated series for that period, after Rebels is finished.

imo

Lost Stars and Bloodline are top notch.

Using the word 'cuck' is equivalent to wearing Ed Hardy apparel in public.

Tarkin was good, and if you're planning on watching Rogue One i highly recommend reading Catalyst