Film History and Meaning : Is Tim Burton an auteur or just a very individualistic director?

Is Tim Burton an auteur or just a very individualistic director?

I'm a film student doing completing research into the auteur theory and the director I am exploring as an auteur is Tim Burton. I want to find out the public's opinion on whether or not they consider Tim Burton to be an auteur or just a very individualistic director with a known sense of style and aesthetics in his films?

I would love to find out people's opinions and it would be very beneficial to my research, thanks!
LOU:)

Re: Is Tim Burton an auteur or just a very individualistic director?

I don't know if I can give you an informed dialogue on movie theory . Tim Burton of course is known for his gothic themed movies which he has pursued his entire life . I consider him a highly proficient director with a very distinctive style . By comparison , Quentin Tarantino is known for neo-noir thrillers , but with both directors , I would say it's a passionate pursuit and personal style of direction . I would consider Wes Anderson's movies to be the more individual auteurship .

Tarantino isn't neo-noir. It's self-referential, over-the-top live-action cartoons. His characters have not the psychological depth required for a noir film, they're basically broad strokes of character spouting out stylistic but vacuous garbage. In a sense, he is the most representative director of his generation and the next.

Now that I think of it I think the same can be said about Wes' films.

Later that day, after tea... I died, suddenly.

Crushing !! I would be very interested in your list of recent neo-noir movies ? I guess I could have also mentioned Guy Ritchie . I await your apocalyptic reply ?

I don't have a list. I hate lists. I can tell you Tarantino isn't doing neo-noir because I can tell night from day.

Let me know your favourite movies and why ? I'm interested ?!

Cat People
The Hottie & the Nottie

and a lot more.

He is an auteur, hope this helps.

you suck louisey d

-- also. yes. yes he is an auteur.

thanks guys!

But seriously IS HE AN AUTEUR?

if so why do you think he is an auteur?

Get back to me as soon as possible

One filmmaker whom it could be said illustrates the qualities of an auteur is Tim Burton. A former animator for the Disney Corporation, Burton has directed many films in his own unique style. The three films which will be looked at in the case study are Batman, Edward Scissor Hands and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

Batman (1989) was Burton’s first big budget film and although initially fans of the Batman comics were unimpressed with director, particularly with his casting of Michael Keaton as the superhero, it went on to be a commercial success.

In Batman, we see the first indication of Burton as an auteur. We are given an introduction to his now trademark style of production, which film critic Simon Rose sums up perfectly as “Dark and Moody”.

Gotham city itself is given the Burton treatment as it appears in a state of disrepair. This is something which is a characteristic of almost all Burton’s films.

Released in 1990, Edward Scissorhands is self-explanotory as it tells the story of a young man with scissors for hands in a typically unusual Burton plot. The visuals in films such as this are what can lead someone to claim a film is “Burtonesque”. It could be said that Burton seems, at times, more concerned with the visual elements of a film than the plot but one of the main auteur characteristics which Burton has is the ability to provide audiences with an amazing visual experience.

When Burton made Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 2008, audiences knew not to expect a straightforward remake of the original. Although the plot itself is almost exactly the same as the 1971 original, the style of production is very different and immediately recognisable as Burton for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is the seemingly obligatory casting of both his wife Helena Bonham-Carter and lifelong friend Johnny Depp as two of the main characters. This seems to be one of the clearest indications that a film is by Burton

One filmmaker whom it could be said illustrates the qualities of an auteur is Tim Burton. A former animator for the Disney Corporation, Burton has directed many films in his own unique style. The three films which will be looked at in the case study are Batman, Edward Scissor Hands and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

Batman (1989) was Burton’s first big budget film and although initially fans of the Batman comics were unimpressed with director, particularly with his casting of Michael Keaton as the superhero, it went on to be a commercial success.

In Batman, we see the first indication of Burton as an auteur. We are given an introduction to his now trademark style of production, which film critic Simon Rose sums up perfectly as “Dark and Moody”.

Gotham city itself is given the Burton treatment as it appears in a state of disrepair. This is something which is a characteristic of almost all Burton’s films.

Released in 1990, Edward Scissorhands is self-explanotory as it tells the story of a young man with scissors for hands in a typically unusual Burton plot. The visuals in films such as this are what can lead someone to claim a film is “Burtonesque”. It could be said that Burton seems, at times, more concerned with the visual elements of a film than the plot but one of the main auteur characteristics which Burton has is the ability to provide audiences with an amazing visual experience.

When Burton made Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 2008, audiences knew not to expect a straightforward remake of the original. Although the plot itself is almost exactly the same as the 1971 original, the style of production is very different and immediately recognisable as Burton for a number of reasons. Firstly, there is the seemingly obligatory casting of both his wife Helena Bonham-Carter and lifelong friend Johnny Depp as two of the main characters. This seems to be one of the clearest indications that a film is by Burton