Film History and Meaning : Leni Riefenstahl

Leni Riefenstahl

It's unfortunate she made films for the evil Nazi regime, but she was truly excellent at her craft. She devised so many clever camera angles to perfectly capture an event, such as the 1936 Berlin Olympics. She's definitely the Queen of Film Making. It's just too bad all her talent and dedication was under Hitler. That was sufficient enough to ruin her career afterwards. She made it to the old, old age of 101.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leni_Riefenstahl

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come to Middle-Earth, a world beyond the furthest reaches of your imagination

Re: Leni Riefenstahl

It is rather unfortunate that such a wonderful talent was purely utilized for such evil propaganda campaigning. I do think that Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will is one of the perfect examples of cinema which forces us to differentiate between the artistry and craft in the creation of the film and with what intent it is created. Propaganda doesn't always have to mean it is simply reduced to advertisement and is without artistic merit. Triumph of the Will was for Germany what D.W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation was for America.

I don't however agree with Riefenstahl being labelled the greatest female filmmaker of the 20th century. There were better ones, and more influential ones, namely Agnès Varda and (my personal favorite) Chantal Akerman.

I met her at the Cincon when it was held in Glendale, California. She was the honored guest and talked about her films and life which was quite an amazing one. Don't remember the year she was there. There were some protesters but mostly she was appreciated as a great film maker. I agree she is the Queen of Film Making.

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."

You need to calm down and stop resorting to insults.

As with everything, there are two sides to this. It is a FACT that there was a huge amount of land purchase by the Jews in what is modern-day Israel, starting as early as the 1850s. Having said that, there are clear doubts as to the legitimacy of the formation of modern-day Israel, given the boycotts of UN meetings by Arab member states and the haze of western bureaucracy.

However, consider that there was never a sovereign Arab state in the area of Palestine.

I'm not saying that either side is right, I'm saying the opposite. Both the Jews and the Arabs have dealt with the situation abhorrently. But that doesn't mean they have the right to bomb the **** out of each other.

I don't know either of you personally, so this next comment might not apply, but picking a side in this conflict if you have no personal connection to it demonstrates an extraordinary amount of ignorance.

What is true is that there are certain pro-Palestinian groups that do not recognise the right for Israel to exist. The fact is that it does, and so while I do not condone any of Israels actions, it is understandable that they now react to terrorist groups in such a strong fashion. My family comes from Cyprus (the Democratic Republic of), which is not recognised by Turkey. It is unbelievably frustrating to still have people, after more than 50 years of existence as an independent state, not believe that you have the right to exist. Thankfully though, we have no terrorist threat.

I feel at this point that I ought to balance this rant out. The fact is that with the Zionist movement, their conflict with the British, and a surge in immigration, the Arabs did not have much choice in the initial formation of modern-day Israel.

*drops mic* I'm out.

"There is no gene for the human spirit" (Gattaca 1997)

I'm sorry, can you read? It seems like you think I'm in support of one side or the other!

All I'm saying is that instead of pretending to be humanitarian and 'justice seeking' when most of our knowledge of the situation is second-hand is actually really dangerous.

You claim to believe in human rights yet you refer to the Jews as 'the worst abomination on this earth'. Starting to sound a little like someone who I think we all know was a monster. I'd be careful if I were you.

I'm afraid though, that our opinions on abhorrent behaviour must differ so wildly as to render this debate useless. Attacking a state I'm afraid, for me, is not acceptable behaviour, I believe in diplomacy. I agree that no man should have to cradle his own sons body, but that applies to everyone, not just the Arabs.

And its a minor point really, but actually the Americans indirectly fund Palestinian rebel groups too. As always, they have the most to answer for.

By the way, thank you for your respectful comments about my appearance, but forgive me, I feel that my face and my arse are not really relevant at this point in time.

Good, well, I'm glad we established that you are omniscient. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, it's too bad, but in my opinion the fault lies with her alone. She chose to make a Faustian bargain with an evil regime that others did not choose to make. As a result, she benefitted greatly at the time the Nazi's were in power, and the others did not. She could hardly be surprised at the result when the Nazis lost the war.

My real name is Jeff

As children we learn, or at least should learn, that there are prices to pay for our decisions and actions. Actively supporting a genocidal regime is not a minor offence.

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.