Film History and Meaning : No dialogue

No dialogue

I live the opening scenes of THE MECHANIC (1972) where you have almost an quarter of an hour without any dialogue. Obviously based on the works of Melville who did that sometimes as well.
And so did movies like Le Trou and Rififi.

What other movies do this? Scenes with no dialogue, but without being completely superficial. Scenes where it is logic that there is so little spoken, or even none at all.

Re: No dialogue

2001: a space odyssey.

The striking opening sequence of Once Upon a Time in the West, very little dialogue.

"Did you make coffee...? Make it!"--Cheyenne.

Body Double (Brian DePalma,1984) has a very long sequence of over fifteen minutes with no dialogue when someone is being followed.

Many of Jacques Tati`s films,especially M. Hulot`s Holiday and Play Time, where there is very little dialogue.

VANISHING POINT 1971
There's a huge chunks of the movie Barry Newman behind the wheel as Kowalski No dialogue but we know what he's thinking

If my memory is correct, Rashomon.

Last watched: Too Big to Fail (3 of 4)

Dressed to Kill by Brian de Palma, the museum scene.

Quest for Fire, the whole movie

Tesla was robbed!

The Thief, 1952, with Ray Milland. No dialogue for 85 minutes. Worth a watch but does drag.

All Is Lost

------------------
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

The TV movie Duel had very little dialogue.

Saulisa

Logic is our best defense against The Experts.

The first 15 or 20 mins of a film called Valhalla Rising. But its a really rubbish mega slow movie, that statistically was a big flop aswell.

What comes to my mind is Truffaut's 400 Blows (1959) which ends with the teenage protagonist Antoine staring directly into the camera as "Fin" fades onto the screen. The silence is not particularly long but coupled with Antoine's stare directly into the camera, it has a chilling effect and is a great way to end the film.

Ingmar Bergman's Summer With Monika (1953) also has a couple of scenes with Monika staring directly into the camera for a short while without any dialogue. In this film, Monika transitions from being a sympathetic teenager who lives in an alcoholic and violent household, to being a in a "free love" situation as she spends a summer in the sticks with her boyfriend just enjoying the good life, to being a teenage married mother who turns out to be a common slut who is unworthy of the boyfriend who got her pregnant during their "summer of love" but did "the right thing" and married Monika and is portrayed as a "good guy" who Monika abandons him at the end of the film. Monika's long silent stares into the camera portend the down hill character transitions that she would undergo later in the film.

The First Episode of "Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King"
which features William Hurt as the main Protagonist, it might not be a Film perse but you could say its a Mini Movie of about an hour.
In the entire Episode you dont hear William Hurts character talking one bit

[Excuse my english im not Canadian/American/English/Australien/whatever...]

If I recall correctly, There Will Be Blood had minimal dialogue

Around 1960 a Japanese movie was made, perhaps called "The Island". Husband and wife own only this island, and they must use a boat for crossing the sea and fetch water, which must then be distributed to each of the plantes.

"Island" is "Shima" in Japanese, but I do not know if the European title was a direct translation.

I took a pause here and tried to identify the movie and I had luck. Name of film, "Hadaka no Shima" and this probably means "The naked Island".

Many of Hitchcock's films have long sections with no dialogue: Long scenes of James Stewart watching his neighbors, especially the night of the murder in Rear Window, Stewart following Kim Novak in Vertigo, the shower scene in Psycho, the crop-dusting scene in North By Northwest (albeit with a line of meaningless dialogue in the middle, just to prove a point), Tippi Hedren waiting outside the school house in The Birds....., and many more.

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Jaques Tati's "Traffic" is without dialogue for most of the movie.

And though it's for comic effect and the gimmick of the film, Mel Brooks' "Silent Movie."