Film History and Meaning : What is the most spiritual film you have ever seen?

Re: What is the most spiritual film you have ever seen?

I'm guessing at what you mean by "spiritual," but I will vote for the following:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Solaris (Tarkovsky's version)

My real name is Jeff

The Tree of Life (2010) An amazing poem of grace and suffering.

All is Lost (2013) The extreme isolation and dangerous peace of being alone at sea force you and the character to come to terms with your own spirituality and beliefs about life.

The Mission (1986) The music, cinematography, allegory, and story culminate into a heightened awareness of spiritual existence.

"Harry?"

The Thin Red Line

Terrence Malick's masterpiece. There isn't a film out there like it.

- Jeff

Melancholia

Curious that nobody mentioned "Ordet" so far, an absolute masterpiece, it´s so realistic that it even becomes naturalistic, and in spite, or maybe because of it, when the miracle happens, it not only seems plausible, it seems inevitable.

^Good choice. I probably have a few, but off the top of my aching head I say The Song of Bernadette.

Alot is NOT a word

The Red Balloon

Au Hasard Balthazar

La Strada

Nazarin

The 4th Man

A Christmas Carol 1951

Scrooge achieves redemption and therefore the possibility of Eternal Life by confronting his basest, ugliest aspects and rising above them, i.e. transcendence.

You can't roll over and die every time somethin' goes south...

The FOUNTAIN: because there were three dimensions happening simultaneously but it made you wonder. It wasn't obvious or predictable. It was full of symbolism and little dialog and not so hollywood looking like INCEPTION, THE MATRIX and LIMITLESS. It was subtle and somewhat Zen in its cinematography, soundtrack and writing which contributes greatly to my 'spiritual' vote. The others can be seen as metaphysical, but I'm not sure I'd describe them as spiritual. Tomas meditated and travelled.

QofH3arts

Babettes gæstebud (1987), Babette's Feast

I've never seen any film that so elegantly and subtly expresses the two meanings of the word "agape", which means both unselfish love, and the "love feast" that expresses this among believers. The feast that forms the center of the story (prepared at great expense by a French lady whom they had taken in as an act of charity) is so lavish that at first these sectarian, conservative Lutherans are shocked at what one of them describes as "en heksesabbat" (Witches' Sabbath), but it eventually becomes the vehicle for a gift of grace that breathes new life into a community that is becoming fossilized, and reminds them why the founder of their sect founded it to begin with. It's one of the most deeply Christian films I've ever seen, without being obvious or preachy about it. There's also a considerable backstory that could be called a series of unfortunate events: lost loves, missed opportunity, war and death, that figures into how everything works out in the end - again, without being obvious or sentimental about it.

Old Lorenz Lowenhielm[giving a toast at the end of the dinner]: Mercy and truth have met together. Righteousness and bliss shall kiss one another. Man, in his weakness and shortsightedness believes he must make choices in this life. He trembles at the risks he takes. We do know fear. But no. Our choice is of no importance. There comes a time when our eyes are opened and we come to realize that mercy is infinite. We need only await it with confidence and receive it with gratitude. Mercy imposes no conditions. And lo! Everything we have chosen has been granted to us. And everything we rejected has also been granted. Yes, we even get back what we rejected. For mercy and truth have met together, and righteousness and bliss shall kiss one another.

------------------------------------------------

"Oh, well," said Zanoni, "to pour pure water in the muddy well does but disturb the mud!"

Maybe The Blade Runner because it deals with idea of wanting to have life. Also Ruther Hauer's monologue at the end and Vangelis score. So moving and sad.

Arthur-81, and he only had to find his spirit in a whisky bottle.

Exorcist: Christ's power compels you. Cast out, unclean spirit.
Destinata:
💩

😁

Being serious, one poster has already mentioned a film that I think is really out there and it is all about the mind games we play, how we have lost touch with what is 'real', the struggle between masculine\feminine dominance and most importantly 'letting go'. That film is FIGHT CLUB-99'.

Destinata:
💩

Blade Runner...it deals with idea of wanting to have life.
By the flip side of that coin Mr. H, you could say it deals with the absolute fear faced by all of us on this planet and that is the fear of 'death'. It is an insatiable need to cling onto the idea of life as what we know it, in spite of all our suffering and hardships.

Destinata:
💩

"Sailor in the Wild" (1983) ...for all the obvious reasons!

The Final Countdown 1980

A more modern aircraft carrier passes through a storm and finds itself on December 7, 1941 as the Japanese are preparing to attack Pearl Harbor.

It of course decides to interfere with the course of history and dispatches jets to shoot down the Japanese planes. The storm comes back and the Captain reluctantly calls back his jets to return to the future.

Just something about it.

Other than that- I totally took the monolith In 2001 A Space Odyssey to be some kind of presence of God. The ending though is totally in my face and makes me want to sing "Holy Truckee" instead of "Holly Holy". And eventually that image of God's mysterious presence lead me to write my own script The Hearpe:

http://thehearpe.tripod.com/index.html

Which would have to be the most spiritual for me because I had great signs and wonders from God during the writing, only to be beat with it in the most crude ways ever since.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" carries a timeless message I think in it's own way, and Christians could easily get Gort to help them build their church, if he got better mileage and they weren't so otherwise Clay Two. Brother, what a sword!

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring- the monk's spiritual journey, plus the integration of the scenery and environment with the story. Very heavy on the allegory and symbolism and a strong yet subtle ending.

Santa Sangre- Touches on religious fervor, gender and familiar identity and is presented so beautifully haunting

Simon del Desierto- the story of Simeon Stylites, an ascetic monk who lived for 30 years on a pillar. Minimalist film yet brilliantly executed

Probably "Hachi - A Dog's Tail."

Richard Gere signed on to it due to it's reflection of his Buddhist principles. The movie demonstrates how one can bring about positive change through "just sitting."

It is a Bollywood film based on India's saint "Sai Baba", titled "Shirdi Sai baba".

live like a pro dude