Film History and Meaning : What is the most spiritual film you have ever seen?

What is the most spiritual film you have ever seen?

And what made it that way for you?

Re: What is the most spiritual film you have ever seen?

Paperhouse. And the ending made it so.

The Man of Earth" because its beauty is all right there.

When you're green, you're growing, but when you're ripe, you rot.

I think anything that wipes out my cynicism and puts me in touch with love for even a little while, is what I regard a spiritual scene. So, for me, that'd mean The Elephant Man, Wild Strawberries, Solaris (1974), Magnolia...

Harold and Maude. Great answer !

THX inspired me to become a drug addled voluptuary, but I'm still heavily into library burning and square dancing.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

The Dying Flutchman:

Was that you on the Rosemary Clooney thread? You used to be Youdenzie (sp)?
I was watching that thinking they would go into her palship with William Saroyan. He was a real and true great artist human, who wrote her best song. I said that was why I was watching that movie to a friend who said, “ You didn't get what you know is true...Yes, America is a TV Movie, why..” and rambled off.

That said: I dig your lines here. You have a Zurich tonal humor with words that gives irony hope. Read Hans Arp? Great stuff!

Fugazi: Instrument by Jem Cohen and fugazi. it makes me feel alive.

I am always Yodzingie in my liver. I know Arp and all the other dadaists and mamaists. U R no longer from Zurich if you live close to Solvang. I used to live close to Ventura, but now I live much closer to Glacier Nat. Park. I will always sing the absolute woofing for in it is majesty.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

I'm probably forgetting some, but what I can think of, A Bittersweet Life, a Korean movie. It's really only because of the story of the apprentice and his dream, if anyone's seen it.

A Bittersweet Life. that sounds interesting. Thank you !

2001: A Space Odyessy. It promised something other than the ignorance of religion.

I'm ignorant of religion. Do I get a prize?

Either Ordet or A Serious Man.
The former because it was Dreyer's final statement on dogmatic church vs. personal spirituality; and, the latter, because - similarly - it speaks to the truth that the particular Religion itself matters little, it's all in how you perceive the secular, objective world around you. We mustn't ever let out lens get too clouded by politics or literal interpretations of scripture.
And we need to look at each person as their own unique manifestation of whatever creation/evolution we believe in, as well as part of a greater whole. No man is exclusive, and nothing is too odd that we cannot find commonality with.
Miracles and Grace occur everyday without our realizing it. What we attribute that to is basically irrelevant, but how we take from, and move on to from that experience is what determines the worth of our lives.

For those that can't stand ANY religious connotation to their movies, I'd suggest watching the heartbreaking Walkabout, which is one of the supreme pantheist films of all times.

There's some mistake. I'm not a member of the Columbian Record Club....

Aboriginal spirituality is not Pantheistic as they believe in seperate creator spirits, this would make them Panentheists.

Pantheism has no element of transcendence.

For the same reason Avatar is not Pantheistic either even though it has often been called such, usually by people ignorant of what Pantheism is, such as Russ Douthat!

Walkabout is a good movie but I didn't find it particularly spiritual.

Breaking the Waves.

What made it so? Emily Watson's fearless performance as Bess, a woman whose faith transcends everything that tries to squash it. It doesn't matter that my personal beliefs do not match hers. I felt her faith had the power to make things so, and I was in tears at the finale.

I would agree, her faith was amazing and sincere and child-like.

What does "spiritual" mean?

What the Bleep http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/combined
Koyaanisqatsi http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/combined

they are simply spiritual films.

To paraphrase Louis Armstrong, who was speaking of jazz, if you have to ask what it is, you'll never know.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, dir. by F.W. Murnau
Yi Yi (A One and a Two), dir. by Edward Yang

These movies moved me in powerful ways, bringing deep sadness and deep joy in equal measures, and allowing me to empathize with others in a way I rarely have before or since. I am a Christian, and I found these movies to be religious experiences, examples of loving one's neighbors in the purest and best ways possible.

Either Spiritually or philosophically.

Contact (1997)

Cast Away (2000)

House of Sand and Fog (2003)

Agora (2009)

Because they taught me about human nature and what it is to be human, having dreams and over coming obstacles, encountering ignorance and learning, struggles and overcoming barriers, weakness and loss, questioning and curiosity, loneliness and isolation, meaning of existence, search for truth and answers, empathy and companionship, emotional conflicts and challenge, failure, giving up and persistence.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is perhaps an odd choice. But man, that movie just soars.

Other possibilities:
Superman Returns (Yes. Leave me alone.)
Glory
The Lord of the Rings
The Passion of the Christ

Everybody runs.

As strange as it sounds....Oldboy.

Dances With Wolves
http://www.imdb.com/list/utZ9p8--gSY/

Koyaanisqatsi

Dogma

PBS' Methuselah Tree

You ask what made them that way....I cannot frame it into words very well. With Koyaanisqatsi and The Methuselah Tree I think it was that the music, the words, had an effective mood altering experience when paired with stunning imagery. And the mood was conducive to a feeling of understanding when watching it all unfold. An awareness. Of just how little time we as a single individual has in the long cycle of existence of this planet. And yet how collectively destructive we are towards what should be holy. Must be holy.
Dogma reminds me that spirituality, the motivation towards a need for faith doesn't need dogma. That dogma is going to be full of human created traps and pitfalls. That in the end, dogma can, and often does, crush out the 'spirit' in spirituality.

Tsotsi.

Because nurture and love are stronger than violence and hatred.

I'm a fountain of blood
In the shape of a girl

I've found two recent films starring my favorite actress to be spiritual; both contain Christian allegories.

Jennifer's Body

http://www.archive.org/details/MusingsOnJenniferCheckAndJesusChristOrT heChristianAllegoryIn

and

Chloe

http://www.archive.org/details/EgoyansChloeAnAllegoryOfTrueLoveAndDivi neLight

"I think it's time to see Amanda sticking guns in people's faces."

Places in the Heart. Set in the 1930s Great Depression, the story of a young wife whose husband, a Texas police officer, is murdered by a young black man who is lynched before he can be tried.

The young widow, Sally Fields, struggles to keep her home and cotton farm together, contending with the bank that wants to foreclose, and the KKK is skulking around because a black man, Danny Glover, works as her hired hand and advises her on how to keep the cotton buyers from cheating her.

It builds to an ending I can't begin to describe here, but it's the most powerful and spiritually moving scene I've ever seen in a movie. It left me weak and in tears.

One must experience the entire movie before that final scene can be fully understood and appreciated. Unless you see everything leading up to that final scene, it won't mean anything to you.

FilioScotia,

I finally watched this because of your comments...

It was pretty good.. not great..

but the ending... was indeed overwhelming.
great scene... and thanks for your comments.

ORDET
JOAN OF ARC
DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST

If you've seen them, you'd know why. If you haven't, I'd highly recommend them. Though I am myself, not religious, they very much convey, and powerfully so, a religious experiance.

Water
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240200/

Very few movies have the ability to enrich my life. This one is one of those.

I feel that any movie by Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Malick will be spiritual. Personally, I had never really felt affected by movies spiritually, then I started watching more World cinema and European cinema. A recent movie, which probably affected me more than any movie I can remember is The Tree of Life. It is unabashedly religious, which I respect as a Christian. It reminds me of the beauty of life and its orgins. It reminds me that god is present in all things, even death. It's now my favorite film and I personally think that Christians who are film fans should see it.

So far, the most spiritual film i probably seen was "Fireproof" with Kirk Cameron. that movie would've been helpful if i saw it before my ex-wife and I split. I would like to see "Courageous" - that movie looks like it would be really amazing!
Mike

Alfred Hitchcock's The Wrong Man. It shows a purely spiritual solution to a purely physical problen for Manny, and for his wife, what happens if you can't find a spiritual solution. It's the most profound movie I know.

I'm shocked that most posters have religion and spirituality confused. That's an ugly sign.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest ... the last 10-15 minutes of the film caused open, public weeping, and not just by me (saw it five times the first week it was released, no video player or cable in my home at the time). Just a total immersion (baptism) into the whole Live Free Or Die attitude.

The Rapture... someday, Mimi Rogers will prove she can, indeed, act, but until that moment, this film will suffice, and rather well. Deeply imbedded into this is the Rapture myth (or belief, whatever you prefer). However, even more to the point, is that there are people that will choose to walk away from the light rather than toward, regardless of the cost.

(From Alcatraz...

"I consider myself more spiritual than religious."
"Care to explain the difference? Feel free, son."
"Religion is for those that seek reward. Spirituality is for those that seek truth."

The quote may be inexact, but the meaning is not.)

Remember when we said there'd be no future? Well, this is it. -- BLANK, Reg

The passion of joan of ark (1928)

My Vote History: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=5479050

I can't say what the most 'objectively' spiritual film might be (although it's definitely NOT Fireproof or Courageous), but I can name several of the most intimately spiritual experiences I've had through experiencing certain films:

Donnie Darko
Ambiguously confesses the existence of a sovereign God who causes all events to come about for the greater good.

The Tree of Life
A beautifully artistic pondering of grace.

Magnolia
Forgiveness through the broken lives of individuals, and the not-so-subtle confession of a God who controls the weather!

Se7en
A seemingly hopeless world of depravity that acts as a violent wake-up call towards apathetic existence.

The Tree of Life
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Thin Red Line
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Natural
Its a Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz
Dances with Wolves
The Matrix
Magnolia
The Elephant Man
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Contact
Jesus of Nazareth
Inception
Walkabout
Cast Away
Kundun
Bad Lieutenant
Forrest Gump
The Last Samurai
Fearless
Blade Runner
The Straight Story
Fargo

All of these films are about something deeper beneath the surface, about what it means to be alive, to be human.

-In Breaking The Waves,
a woman must prove her faith through very difficult trials.
-In Magnolia,
characters confront their own flaws and God intervenes.
-In The Seventh Seal,
the worst troubles that mankind has to deal with are at play in a game of chess with the Devil.
-In Melancholia,
depression and fatality are confronted head on.
-In A Serious Man,
hope is lost, and a man must find his path when confronted with the starkness of nihilism.
-In City of Angels,
God speaks through love, and an Angel must face this in a fateful decision.
-In 2001: A Space Odyssey,
the big picture of life is presented.
-In Thirst,
a man of God must confront becoming a Vampire.

"The Razor's Edge" (1946 & 1984)

Why? If you have to ask...

I'm no longer sure what 'spiritual' means.
Another poster mentioned 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', and I agree. Here's why. Saw this as a child, and I can remember contemplating the possibility of what shrinking to a molecular level - and beyond, would be like. Worlds within worlds. What a trip.

Another poster mentioned 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', and I agree. Here's why. Saw this as a child, and I can remember contemplating the possibility of what shrinking to a molecular level - and beyond, would be like. Worlds within worlds. What a trip.

Maybe you have seen it, or not.

But in case you haven't I wanted to share this scene with you from the movie Ant-Man were exactly that happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7RDpjry-00

Zardoz (1974) has spoken!
My top 100 http://www.imdb.com/list/ls079512886/

Thanks for sharing Mr. Pinbert.

what I'm thinking about now is, how could one breath, if an oxygen molecule is bigger than your lung ?

Sjöström and his 'Phantom Carriage' was an unexpected and very mystical experience for me, in spite of I'm atheist and I don't like too much the puritanism. I recall how, having seen it, I felt as though all was in peace and it wouldn't have anything better than go to bed and fade out.

Andrei Rublev: by Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966

Ponders the nature of art, the cinema , work and the spiritual on the deepest of levels.

Andrei Rublev: by Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966

Stolen from the internet
http://www.filmref.com/directors/dirpages/tarkovsky.html
[The Passion According to Andrei]

Raush/SolonitsynThe abstract opening sequence of Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev reflects the mystical undercurrent that flows throughout the film: a peasant sneaks into a tower to ride aboard a primitive hot air balloon. He succeeds in briefly soaring into the atmosphere, only to crash violently into the ground. To dissect every frame of Andrei Rublev and attempt to derive specificity from its anatomy would, not only take volumes, but more importantly, be completely subjective. Filmed in stark black and white (excluding the epilogue), and using long shots and fluid tracking, Andrei Rublev is a visual and cerebral journey: a thematically adaptive interpretation of Rublev's life, a conduit into the bleak existence of medieval Russia, a meditation on the search for the spiritual and artistic light. Contrary to what the title suggests, the film is not a biographical account of the Russian icon painter. Rublev (Anatoli Solonitsyn) is, in fact, almost a peripheral character: a chronicler of medieval life, attempting to create religious art in a harsh world devoid of inspiration and community. Tarkovsky is not interested in exalting Rublev through extreme sacrifices nor great acts of kindness. He is all too human: a monk tempted by a sensual pagan woman, an artist doubting his skills in completing a church, a Christian who commits a fundamental sin. That Rublev's work survives today is a testament to his struggle to find beauty and inner peace in his turbulent world. It is a theme that resurfaces throughout Tarkovsky's tragically abbreviated career: man in relation to, and as a consequence of, his environment.

Rublev's nomadic existence is not only a physical consequence of his itinerant work, but also a symbolic representation of his spiritual wandering. Rublev seeks inner peace through the solemnity of his monastic existence, but is plagued with uncertainty. Historically, the environmental turmoil represented by the hedonistic peasants, pagan rituals, and Tatar raids serve as a metaphor for his own ambivalence and spiritual bankruptcy. Cinematically, Tarkovsky employs singular, cyclic shots that traverse exterior and interior spaces to symbolize man's interaction with his environment. Episodically, the thematic cycle is reflected in the return of the humbled monk Kirill (Ivan Lapikov), simple minded Durochka (Irma Raush), and the imprisoned jester (Rolan Bykov) at the bell casting, supervised by a young bell founder (Nikolai Burlyayev), who, essentially, is a young Rublev. There, at the casting, the disillusioned older Rublev wanders around the formation of the bell, cursorily drawn to the process. In the end, after its successful tolling, the young founder confesses his deception to the elder monk. Then the camera slowly tracks outward, soaring overhead, like the peasant in the hot air balloon. Rublev's passion is restored.
© Acquarello 1999. All rights reserved.

Spiritual

Ordet, Many others for different reasons: Song of Bernadette, Miracle of our lady of Fatima, Babette's Feast.

It's hard to elaborate why, but I'll try.

The Thin Red Line (1998) because it shows all the trauma and horror of war, and it's meaninglessness (if that's even a word). It really makes you think what can be worth killing another man, who could have been your friend in other circumstances.

The Fountain (2006) and Det sjunde inseglet (1957) because they both show a man fighting with death and both made me wonder if it's worse to live forever (whether on Earth or in Heaven) or to just die and there is nothing afterwards. Both thought are terrifying.

Synecdoche, New York (2008) because it shows the struggle to make meaning out of your life and leave a legacy. What is more important: enjoying life or being remembered after you die?

Fight Club (1999) because: "Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy *beep* we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." - Tyler Durden

Life of Pi (2012) because it show why one would choose religion over atheism, even though it is less likely to be the truth.

Thin Red Line - deals with humankind's place in nature, love, loss and death. All pretty spiritual stuff.

The Song of Bernadette (1943)

Her innocence were incorruptible by the mediocre world.