Film History and Meaning : Films That Originated From Music?

Films That Originated From Music?

Not scored after the fact, nor about music. But movies in which a movie’s narrative was “born” from a song or music.

The only two I can think of: Sean Penn’s the “Indian Runner” which was based on a Bruce Springsteen song. And Bernard Rose’s “Immortal Beloved” from Beethoven.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Films That Originated From Music?

I believe Convoy was made after a song.

Thanks! The one by Peckinpah?

Yeah, but I don't remember who made the song.

Cool. IÂ’ll watch it tomorrow. Many thanks!

And I looked on the page of that movie at the “NewsDesk” and Kevin Smith is inspired by a song “Hit Somebody”. Going to music to cover up for your lack of talent, inspiration, and to cover for emotional deficiencies as a filmmaker is what you do in the editing room. Ha ha! ugh.

You're welcome. I seem to remember some other movie also, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Any special interest in watching these?

I wake up everyday and ask myself: “What don’t I know?”
When I stop asking myself that question IÂ’ll sleep in for good.
If you know another: do tell!

It's good seeking knowledge.

And I will. Have you tried searching google also? I can't because I'm at work. Not sure if you'd get any hits.

I believe the song was credited to and sung by C.W. McCall.

My real name is Jeff

Hello,

Three suggestions...
- Paul Thomas Anderson wrote the script for Magnolia (1999) based on a few songs from Aimée Mann...
- In a more distant way, David Lynch's Blue Velvet (1986).
- And in an even more distant way John Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949).

«There are 3 intolerable things in life -cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.»

Arthur Penn's film Alice's Restaurant (1969) is directly based on an Arlo Guthrie song.

pauluswiggus:

On Arlo Guthrie eh? Thanks! I'm on it! I could see that. As Guthrie sure had a visual way with words. Just a few notes of "City of New Orleans" transports my mind in a flash to when I was once traveling over Lake Pontchartrain in the very early morning beneath a lemon sun. He's a talent.

There's half a dozen films and a Tolstoy short story named after Beethoven's Violin Sonata #9 - The Kreutzer Sonata.

«There are 3 intolerable things in life -cold coffee,

Ice cold Cafe Shakerato (espresso and crushed ice shaken violently in a machine designed for the job) on the front at Rapallo is perfect heaven.

alfa-16:

The Kreutzer Sonata. I've seen the most recent one by Bernard Rose. But I'll look into the others. Thanks!

Hi Nachiketas:

IÂ’ve seen those first two. Both good movies. Not the John Ford. I will now! Thanks. I agree about the cold coffee and lukewarm bubbly. Two deadly sins. Have you ever had Laotian coffee? The French, I agree, call it the champagne of coffee!

The French know nothing about coffee! Most of their coffee is Algerian robusta. Most of their espresso is actually Nespresso. The Italians have 80¢ machines in motorway service stations that will dispense a better espresso than you can get almost anywhere in France.

Bolivian Machacamarca. That's the current champ. And not expensive - yet.

Algerian Robusta? Never heard of him. But, hey. If you say so.

He plays the heavy in a few early Chaplin films . . . .

Ode to Billy Joe, inspired of course by the Bobby Gentry song of the same name. It's a long time since I saw it but it attempts to interpret the mysterious lyrics and answer the question of why Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074995/

Gular-Scute:

That looks really cool. Thanks!

You're welcome Zurichpoet. It's a long time since I saw it but I remember enjoying it at the time.

It's a really good, realistic, and gutsy movie to do at the time- and the director was Max Baer, of Beverly Hillbillies fame.

My real name is Jeff

I was going to mention Ode to Billy Joe. Robbie Benson, Glynnis O'Conner - I'd love to see it again.

But I've got another one:

BORN IN EAST L.A.

Which, of course, is based on the Cheech Marin hit song that was a parody of Springsteen's Born in the USA.

Saulisa

Logic is our best defense against The Experts.

Yellow Submarine

Hello zurichpoet,

I've got another movie for you :
Jean-Luc Godard's Sympathy for the Devil aka One + One .

And what about movie adaptations of Operas like Ingmar Bergman's The Magic Flute or Broadway Musicals, etc?

P.S. No Laotian coffee for me but I promise to be on the lookout !

«There are 3 intolerable things in life -cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.»

Aria, Amadeus and Topsy Turvy.

nachiketa:

Thanks! I'll give that a gander! Laotian coffee is hard to come by. If you find any, do tell! Thanksgiving Coffee in Fort Bragg, CA used to import it. No more. I had to put go down to Chinatown and meet someone who knew someone on “the pier” who could hook me up. Hilarious!

Hello Zurichpoet,

You're welcome, always a pleasure to help...
Here's another title for the road :
- Jean Renoir's La Marseillaise (the French national anthem...)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030424/
Cheers!

nachiketas:

Awesome! Thanks for that too!

There are movies like Tommy, Once and Across the Universe that came from The Who, The Frames and The Beatles music.

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Thank you! I must say: Tommy had such a great Nicholson perf! And I'll check out the other.

Wasn't the kenny rogers song Coward of the County made in film?

Both "Fantasia" movies.

Giddy-up, goat!

The Arlo Guthrie song "Alice's Restaurant" was adapted into a movie.

Giddy-up, goat!

Can't believe no one has mentioned The Wall or Yellow Submarine.

Goo Goo G'Joob

The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia.

Alice's Restaurant and The Proposition.

"I'll book you. I'll book you on something. I'll find something in the book to book you on."

"The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Kauffman is an excellent example. All music was composed by Leo Janacek, who died 60 years before the movie was made. Nevertheless, each and every fragment of his music throughout the whole movie is so well adapted, that it gives the clear impression that the music was composed especially for the film, and after the other aspects of the film were finished.

About "Music Lovers" by Ken Russel. - It is known that Tschaikovsky was homosexual, but that he tried a "conventional" sex life. I cannot know what is historical truth, but according to the movie he married and the happy event did not occur in the wedding night. Nor in any of the soon following nights. The couple took their honeymoon and went to St. Peterburg. This was not very successful, and the couple agreed that they should take the train back to Moskow, and then their first intercourse would happen on the train. Things started by both happily drinking wine, but when the wife starts to undress Tschaikovsky both feels repulsive at the sight of a naked female and feels ashamed that he cannot give her what would seem to be her right.

The picture are unambiguously composed to the music, not vice versa, and primarily to the delevopment of the first movement of his 6th symphony.

Love Potion No. 9 (1992).
Harper Valley PTA (1978).

I'm not crying, you fool, I'm laughing!

Allego non troppo

To all that have posted! I send an AMAZING thanks!

This has been like a stupendous wave: I just shut up and rode.

Again, great thanks!

Hmmm ?

Hi,

A great example of a film within the last 10 years is ''Across the Universe'', directed by Julie Taymor. A fictitious plot conceived entirely from the musical influences and lyrics of The Beatles, Taymor managed to bring forth a seamless plot following the love story of a young couple in the 1960's, in a time of war, radicalism and political change.

It's a beautiful film highlighting both the delicate and grander sides to a time of great societal change. It also takes the Beatles lyrical contexts and changes them for the film's own, which makes for an extremely creative and engaging film!

Across the Universe's IMDB page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445922/

Definitely recommended,

Kay G.

Liebestraum (1935) www.imdb.com/title/tt0228908/

Snobbery is a form of romanticism, the chastity of the perfectionist

I know Tarantino says he goes through his record collection just listening to music and starts writing scenes bases on that (before he even knows what he is writing)

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Tommy, Quadrophenia (both movie adaptations of the eponymous albums by The Who)
The Wall, obviously
Fantasia

I Used To Be Darker, a Matt Porterfield film. Born from music, with a few extended musical scenes. One of my favorite films.

Fantasia (1940)
Fantasia/2000 (1999)

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why your doing this to yourself!

Rhapsody In Blue-1945-a film bio of composer George Gershwin. Film titled after his greatest composition.

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."