Film Art and Cinematography : The Most Ambitious Movies Ever Made?

The Most Ambitious Movies Ever Made?

I found a gorgeous list of some of the most ambitious movies ever made. Which movies made you step back and say "wow" at the sheer ambitiousness? I'm talking about scenes that made your jaw drop from their scale and beauty. Take a look and see if yours is on the list!

https://wakelet.com/wake/1bImG19C6y/the-most-ambitious-movies

Re: The Most Ambitious Movies Ever Made?

I had never heard of Fitzcarraldo, I have to check that out!

Heaven`s Gate ,in terms of scope,epic sweep,attention to detail and some of the best cinematography ever. Also,for the same reasons, Barry Lyndon.

Agreed. The Tree of Life is one of the only films I've ever called pretentious.

Anyways to answer the question I'd say:
Lord of The Rings trilogy

Yeah, I'll go along with that list, especially Boyhood, which is a really ambitious concept: Make a 10-year-long production that follows a real boy as he really grows up! Thank God the boy didn't get sick and die or get mangled by a car! Can you imagine how that would affect the script and the production?

I'd like to add:

Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean really got lost in the desert on that one, and all those fantastic images were captured LIVE, FOR REAL, IN THE ACTUAL JORDANIAN DESERT. The charge on Acaba is stunning! In the early '60s, David Lean, cast and crew could simply go to the desert and film their epic. Now, with today's strife and all the radical, crazy Jihadists running around in the Middle East, this can never be accomplished again)

Ben Hur (that full-scale chariot race alone was spectacular!)

Apocalypse Now (for Francis Coppola to even attempt to begin a production of this size and magnitude before he had what he felt was a satisfactory ending to the script was insane!)

Star Wars-Episode IV-A New Hope (for pushing the technological boundaries of filmmaking SO much farther than anything that had been attempted up to that point except of course Kubrick's 2001)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg enlisted 2001 FX wizard Douglas Trumbull to create some of the most fantastic UFO effects ever caught on screen; like Star Wars, CE3K used motion-control cameras and miniature models, this time filmed in a smoke room to create a halo of fog around the spacecraft's lights, resulting in some of the most realistic effects ever created in what still stands today as THE definitive UFO/contact-with-extraterrestrials movie)

The Ten Commandments and Lawrence of Arabia immediately jump to mind for me.

One that many may not think of is the 2002 film Russian Ark.

http://kinopravda23.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/evanchester1988

"One that many may not think of is the 2002 film Russian Ark."

I agree! Another that comes to mind is Cinema Paradiso

I can only think of Synecdoche New york for some reason.

knotty and interesting question.. I mostly share your view expressed in list made by you, but.. I will add few one: 1.La grande bellezza/The Great Beauty(Sorrentino); 2.Trilogy of LOTR 3.Dreams(Kurosawa) 4.Children of Men(Cuarón) 5.Kingdom of Heaven(Ridley Scott)

Avengers and Avengers Age of Ultron.

Hit the mark as well. Great pay offs.

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Please...just stop

sometimes I heard Kubrick say most ambitious work of cinema is The Decalogue (1989) who made as 10 mini series episode by Kieslowski , in my opinion (random): the mirror (tarkovsky), andrei rublev (tarkovsky), stalker (tarkovsky), solaris (tarkovsky), Alice (Svankmajer), 2001: a space odyssey (kubrick), tree of life (malick), in the mood for love (kar-way), 2046 (kar-way), the turin horse (tarr), satantango (tarr), Werckmeister harmonies (tarr & Ágnes Hranitzky), russian ark (sokurov), mother & son (sokurov), neon genesis evangelion (tv, anno) west of the track (wang bing), grave of the fireflies (takahata), the tale of the princess kaguya (takahata), the holy mountain (Jodorowsky), evolution of fillipino family (lav diaz), melancholia (lav diaz), melancholia (von tier), riget (tv, von tier), boyhood (linklater) as i was moving (mekas), diaries notes and sketches (mekas), anomalisa (kauffman & Duke Johnson), dog star man (brakhage), mothlight (brakhage), window water baby moving (brakhage), empire (warhol), chelsea girls (warhol), blow job (warhol, yeah i think its so ambitious), yi yi (yang), tale of tales (yuriy norshteyn), hedgehog in the fog (norshteyn), ivan the terrible (eisensten), battleship potemkin (eisenstein), 13 lakes (benning), decasia (morisson), eight and a half (fellini), M (lang), metropolis (lang), citizen kane (welles) and many more and off course the decalogue (Kieslowski)

check my greatest films of all time:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055249848/

Synecdoche, New York was the most ambitious film I've seen in recent years...

The Revenant most recently
Birdman
2001 A Space Odyssey
Star Wars
Synecdoche, New York (Also Anomalisa)
Mad Max Fury Road
Cloud Atlas
Magnolia

those are just a few

in termms of scale and scope, CLEOPATRA with Elizabeth Taylor. If you want to see how ambitious a project it was, check out the fantastic documentary CLEOPATRA: THE MOVIE THAT CHANGED HOLLYWOOD.

Also check out intolerence from the 1920's. the scale of the sets is unbelievable.