Nocturnal Animals : What's the nudity?

What's the nudity?

Anyone ?

Re: What's the nudity?

Armie Hammer gives Jake Gyllenhal a reach around

Four old women dancing completely naked in the movie's opening scene. Not a good sight at all.

It lasted through all the movie's opening credits.

I thought it was fascinating.

It would be absolutely normative if they were 24, and thin.

These were normal looking, fat women. The whole thing was surreal.

Probably the smartest thing I've seen in years.

I agree. I was very fascinated by it. They looked very happy and comfortable. The best part of the movie IMO.

There is no such thing as too much time 

Several of them more morbidly obese, that is *not* normal. These women were in terrible health and need medical help. I found that scene highly exploitative, and clearly so did Susan's character.

There are literally millions of people that are 'morbidly' obese. These women might very well have been 'morbidly' obese their entire lives, and yet they are not morbid. Although you clearly think all fatties should be morbid, ashamed, and hide themselves.

One had lost significant weight, hence the surplus skin, so even a blatantly stupid argument that their image celebrates 'morbid' obesity falls flat on its stupid face given it is clearly celebrating weight loss were we to apply the same 'logic'.

What is your argument against documenting their bodies, and do you even have one (an argument)? By all means come back once you have generated a solitary significant thought on the subject.

No. Stop projecting and putting words into other people's mouths.

I do not think all "fatties" (your words, not mine) are morbid. Morbidly obese, I'll have you know, is a *medical term* describing a serious health condition where people's BMI is over 40 and their lives literally in danger. I am not using this word to shame these women. What I find shameful is the exploitation of their bodies and serious health issues for the amusement of a room full of "edgy" rich yuppies. Even the curator herself was disgusted by the way these women were exploited as circus freaks. If you think that installation was about "celebrating weight loss" then you clearly haven't been paying attention. Smh.

I'm not commenting on the (gallery) exhibition at all. I'm commenting on their exhibition in the film.

There is no serious health condition called 'morbid' obesity, period. There are health conditions associated with being 'morbidly' obese, such as increased risk of heart disease or respiratory conditions. Just as there are health conditions associated with being over 40, having previously had a caesarean section or whatever. The hazards of weight are also highly dependent on genetics. Medical lesson over.

So what. It is a person's right to be unhealthy, if they choose. Millions make that choice, or have no choice. This is not a public awareness announcement, it's a goddamn movie.

Alot of people suffer with conditions (PCOS for instance) that makes weight loss more difficult anyway. So easy to assume everyone who is fat is like that because they stuff themselves with bread and cake.

The same weight on an Asian has entirely different health outcomes to those of a European.

It isn't even a valid argument anyway, unless you support the idea of only portraying overweight people in film as depressed *beep* totally preoccupied with their pathetic lives which are the direct result of not worshiping the BMA as a definition of their value as a human. Oh, and all fatties having to wear burqas so as not to offend half the morons in this thread.

Again totally missing the point. Do you really not get the difference between [outrage-against-exploitation vs. shaming] of people's illnesses?

Btw, have a chat with a doctor if you think this condition doesn't exist. Amazing that you'd think it doesn't. You must be one of those "facts are only opinions" and "aren't we tired of those out-of-touch experts" kind of people. Smh.

Your first paragraph is nonsense, structurally.

There was no exploitation by the filmmaker in this scene of the film. From the first I have identified the stupidity of such an accusation.

There might be an accusation directed at the fictional characters of the artist, or art dealer. You might question their politics or motivation in making or selling the pieces. But thinking such accusations translate to the director or the film they are a small part in...wow that's just bizarro.

Tom Ford seems to be operating on multiple levels that that are completely beyond you.

Superficially he appears to be making an indictment upon Art, for the nature of the Art. However, the treatment of that art within his film confronted preconceptions about the female form, and challenged viewer mores.

Most did not want to watch these women, found it repulsive etc. You think it is logical that these women be invisible, because their bodies confront your politics. You've been brainwashed by popular and conventional imagery of women's bodies (which is not representative), and reading that anything other than X is unhealthy and to be shunned. So you can't engage with this film on any level except there are fat people, it's exploitation, and unhealthy.

You are not confronted by the images in the way I was, and probably many other viewers because you didn't engage with these women as perfectly normal humans that are encountered all over the world. They are not abnormal for being overweight, or failing to be some ideal bmi.

I have several female friends and colleagues that have similar body types tot he women in this film. While i never wish to see them naked what is confusing you say it isn't about shaming such women, and then at the same time your argument is they should never parade their bodies the way younger, and thinner women do.

Well, Tom Ford's film says stuff you, and so do I.

Everything else is just a load of rubbish about fat people are unhealthy.

Yeah yeah yeah. Just carry on projecting. Who cares about medical science, right?

WTF does medical science have to do with your crap argument? nothing. People look like these women. Get over it.

Where is your indignation and disgust at someone on television or in film having a tan, and risking the much greater risk of skin cancer, eating bbq chicken, or having augemented breasts, or any other thing that millions of us do, that is obvious on television or film, and that is proven to have associated health risks.

You're full of it saying who can or can't be put on film based on body type. Get stuffed.

Actually, the term "Morbid Obesity" is a genuine medical diagnosis.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/bariatric-surgery-center/questions/morbid-obesity.aspx

I'm not commenting on whether or not what was shown in the opening credits was good, bad, or indifferent. Nor am I judging fat people as individuals. I am just pointing out a fact....morbid obesity IS considered a seriously dangerous condition, and the term itself....Morbid Obesity.....is an actual medical diagnosis.

If I weren't so idealistic about keeping up with films, this one would have killed my enthusiasm for cinema.
It would have been the knockout punch.

Actually what I find funny about this string of comments, and forgive if I missed something (I was getting a little nauseous reading about all that fat), but there were actually 7 other actors in this film that were nude, although their nudity was more covered, if that makes any sense. Meaning the character was nude, but hiding most of the goodies, although there were a couple of fine booties to behold.

ok, that completes the nudity. A few fatties and a good number of slim people, although it seems like the fatties got all the attention. huh? I know!

Art is nothing but naked Narcissism

Art is nothing but naked Narcissism - That's what came to my mind watching the opening of the movie.

Art is what Susan pursued but in the end she is empty and lost. Edward pursued literature and Love but Susan left Edward for nothing in the end.

Re: Art is nothing but naked Narcissism

The women are dressed (or undressed) for Carnival, which is synonymous with Masquerade, where characters are disguised. The title prologue is preparing the audience for what follows. David Lynch did something similar with his jitterbugging couples (and their shadowy duplicates) in the intro to Mulholland Drive.
The archetype for this kind of drama is the jokester Harlequin and somber Pierrot competing for the favors of Columbina in the Italian Commedia dell'arte - all this dates back to the 16th century or earlier.
Ford himself has said the women represent joy and liberation from the need to keep up the appearance of beauty.

There was that one guy having a dump in an outside toilet naked.

It's that man again!!