Food and Drink : What's your favourite crêpe ?

What's your favourite crêpe ?

When the coeliac posters start talking about eating when they're miffed. 😄

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Re: What's your favourite crêpe ?

I don't believe that I've ever had one, Sparky. giveup.gif

My password is password

Imagine a pancake that's really thing. It's that.usually folded over some sort of filling smile.gif

Pretty much eggy filo, it can be sweet or savoury and can be found just about everywhere yes.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Oh I know what they are, just never had one is all.

My password is password

Have you ever had a fried egg on toast? giveup.gif

If so, call that a really badly made crêpe /. and say whether you had ketchup, salt or anything else on it smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Yes.

There are two places near me that specialize in them. One makes crazy decadent ones that must be made to share because they are huge and filled with fruit and custard (I think) and drizzled with ton of both milk and white chocolate.

My password is password

So you like em' sweet but not tomato sauce sweet. That's cool smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

No, I was saying yes to I've had a egg on toast.

I'm the /. that has never had one. Sorry, I know it gets confusing.

My password is password

OK, but you don't like ketchup on your egg and toast. Did I get that much right? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Correct. Do you? I don't even like others doing that in front of me and just the smell of ketchup in the morning is unappealing. I know I'm odd.

My password is password

I know the true etymology of ketchup and so yes, I do sometimes.

But it's not the same as what most people think of when they think of ketchup.

It's not tomato sauce no.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

It's a whole bunch of sugar, that I do know. yes.gif

My password is password

Tomato sauce is, well the stuff that people call ketchup these days.

Originally it was melted oysters and clams. Makes for a lovely dark and rich sauce which brings a much richer appeal to what it is served with.

Sailors brought the idea back from the East and others tried to replicate it and what they came up with, and what sold, is what most people in the entire world call ketchup now. But it's not how it started and not the actual meaning of it originally smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Interesting trivia, thanks.

I discovered a dill pickle flavored ketchup recently and I quite like it. It probably still has a fair bit of sugar, but the dill flavor seems to make it less noticeable. A small local company that makes it and it's always nice to support a local business.

My password is password

I always thought that ketchup was a US invention and then I stumbled across a little bit of trivia that I thought was important.

Local businesses are very important, their prices are generally higher (Because they have to be due to their supply chain) but the fact that it's made locally and helps the direct community around it is worth the little effort extra smile.gif

Dill ketchup sounds nice. I do enjoy sour a lot and think that would be something I'd try a couple of times with different things to see what I like with it.

But yes, ketchup in the West is full of sugar, that's their big drug that they put in everything and it seems to always sell very well.

The End of Obesity (The latest South Park episode) makes a point out of this and is very funny as well as ponderous smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

What do you think of people spelling and pronouncing it as catsup? I've never looked into the origin of it, but it's not commonly used.

My password is password

/. said... What do you think of people spelling and pronouncing it as catsup? I've never looked into the origin of it, but it's not commonly used.
expand
"Catsup" is what the sailors brought back to the West and that became "Ketchup" through 'Chinese whispers' smile.gif

I'm never bothered about how people say it as I'd normally say "Tomato sauce" when referring to it but, in the US at least, most people need to hear "Ketchup" smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

∂³∑x² said... "Catsup" is what the sailors brought back to the West and that became "Ketchup" through 'Chinese whispers' smile.gif

I'm never bothered about how people say it as I'd normally say "Tomato sauce" when referring to it but, in the US at least, most people need to hear "Ketchup" smile.gif
expand
Yes, tomato sauce in North America is a complete different thing. It's basically pureed and strained tomatoes and sold in cans.

My password is password

/. said... Yes, tomato sauce in North America is a complete different thing. It's basically pureed and strained tomatoes and sold in cans.
expand
I think that calling it tomato sauce everywhere but the UK means sauce made from tomatoes and not that thick, sugary syrup that Heinz is so well known for.

I doubt you can easily find it in France, Italy, Greece or anywhere else which has sauce made from tomatoes readily available.

Call me ∑ smile.gif

∂³∑x² said... I think that calling it tomato sauce everywhere but the UK means sauce made from tomatoes and not that thick, sugary syrup that Heinz is so well known for.

I doubt you can easily find it in France, Italy, Greece or anywhere else which has sauce made from tomatoes readily available.
expand
I've wanted to visit the Greek Isles for years, but I don't I'll ever make it now, sadly. Life is passing by quickly and I've sort of lost my passion for travel over the years. I'll have to settle for rewatching Summer Lovers and Shirley Valentine again, I guess. laugh.gif

My password is password

/. said... I've wanted to visit the Greek Isles for years, but I don't I'll ever make it now, sadly. Life is passing by quickly and I've sort of lost my passion for travel over the years. I'll have to settle for rewatching Summer Lovers and Shirley Valentine again, I guess. laugh.gif
expand
I'll have to settle for rewatching Summer Lovers and Shirley Valentine again, I guess. laugh.gif

Her husband just passed away sad.gif

I expect Tom Conti to be on the prowl any day now…

Call me ∑ smile.gif

∂³∑x² said... I think that calling it tomato sauce everywhere but the UK means sauce made from tomatoes and not that thick, sugary syrup that Heinz is so well known for.

expand
No need for any further reply from you as I'm just another "crazy /." as you put it. I did appreciate your time though.

My password is password

Oh, and ketchup never gets anywhere near my eggs, thank you. 😁

My password is password

I’m not sure
I haven’t really had crepes in a long time but usually they’re filed with sweet things like cream or Nutella and fruit right? Or can it be savory stuff too?

They can also be savoury if that's your thing yes.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

I like both depending on what I’m in the mood for! But I don’t know if I have a specific favorite because they’re all good lol

The whipped cream (Particularly the canned stuff) is very popular and I see it often with coloured sprinkles, and sometimes sparklers, on people eating them. They look like a whole load of fun smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Strawberry and banana ones.

My password is password

Skooshy cream on them too? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

The nicest ones I had were with some sort of flambeed orange liqueur. Very nice but I'd not choose one as a dessert these days.

Like at the start of this video Dazed?

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Exactly like that. Are you filming yourself watching TP?

Yes Dazed, my name is Corrie Williams and I give away all details of myself on the Internet and expect nobody will hound me or people I know for doing so none.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

I like the savory ones more tha the sweet ones.

Do you have a favourite savoury one Rev? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

I don't know. Ones with bacon are good. This turkey club one at a cafe near me is good.

I'm not much into sweets.

Bacon is always good. Turkey always goes well with bacon. Turkey and bacon is the bomb yes.gif

Never tried a turkey and bacon crêpe though no.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

My favorite creep is Fugazi.

My password is password

Fair enough, do you have a favourite crêpe? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

They used to just be called pancakes Siggy and the pancakes would be eaten with sugar and Jif lemon and MAYBE golden syrup. Then they brought in these American pancakes more and called proper Pancake Day pancakes crepes. sad.gif

You are confusing drop scones and pancakes with crêpes Ricky yes.gif

Crêpes are more eggy than either, and thinner smile.gif

Did you watch the new Doctor Who? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

No not yet I’m watching it when Bobby gets back from rehearsals. He says he’s been to Greggs today and he’s got me a baguette, sausage bean and cheese melt AND a vanilla slice!! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!! 😁

I’ve watched it now, we watched it last night. I LOVED IT!!! Bobby just liked it, he said that the romance between the Doctor and that bounty hunter felt very rushed. I didn’t feel like that though, I loved that part and it made me cry. 🙂

Expect a Ricky Review soon! 😊

I'm glad you liked it Ricky yes.gif

I'm never a fan of The Doctor having any romantic interests, but since he seems to these days why not have him and Rogue have that kerfuffle?

I'm looking forward to your review smile.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

I’ve just put it up now. Enjoy. 😊

I'm off to read it Ricky yes.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

A S’mores crepe.

“There are no atheists in foxholes, eh?”-Keith Jennings from the Omen.

Omg what that sounds amazing. But more of a dessert to me

That would be incredibly sweet!

Do they do the s'mores over a campfire before putting them into the crêpe? giveup.gif

Call me ∑ smile.gif

Maple syrup has to be on it a plain crepe with mable syrup

I am the worst singer here

https://youtu.be/iXuybECqJ4I?si=igA9zDn317wlhbub