Video Games : The very first side scrolling shoot ‘em up was….

The very first side scrolling shoot ‘em up was….

R Type by Data East. 🙂

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Re: The very first side scrolling shoot ‘em up was….

Super Mario Bros. 3 shits all over that gay crap, faggot.

My password is password

Both are great and there is no need for the name calling.

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Sorry I got excited.

My password is password

I loooove SMB3! Controversially I also love SMB2

My heart bleeds for him, as a child. Someone took a kid and manufactured a monster. At the same time, as an adult, he's irredeemable.

Amazing games. Have you ever looked up the backstory behind part 2 and the explanation for why it feels so radically different from 1 and 3? It's pretty interesting.

My password is password

If memory serves it wasn't supposed to be a Mario game at all?

My heart bleeds for him, as a child. Someone took a kid and manufactured a monster. At the same time, as an adult, he's irredeemable.

It was a sequel to Doki Doki Panic because the actual Japanese sequel was apparently too hard for people in the Western world to play properly Dazed.

The entire concept spurred on the creation of Hard'n'Heavy a sequel to Great Ghiana Sisters

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

I loved it, I especially loved the subterranean doors, with extra mushroom within.

Have you met Bobby, Dazed?

My password is password

I've spoken to him here and I remember him from Imdb. He and Harry used to have long conversations like they do here.

I think SB3 managed to blend the aspects of SB1 and SB2 into a magical thing

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

The Lost Levels though…so hard.

That's what the Japanese and folk near them got as Super Mario Bros 2 Dazed

I kind of like the tinkering that went on to bring it all towards SB3 and what Mario has become since then

I still like Robbie the Robot was useless though

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

I still like Robbie the Robot was useless though

Say what?

like = think (Too many tabs running at once here!)

I still think Robbie the Robot (R.O.B.) was useless though

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Very hard. I miss that element of gaming. Nowdays everything is cinematic…on rails…you're guided to the finish line but there's not enough trial and error.

2d platformers were the best.

My password is password

I don't think I ever completed it 😔 the buzz and bell dungeons were so frustrating.

I enjoyed platform games so much, Super Mario World was another favourite, when you completed every thing as you're running to that final goal it spells out "You are a super player" in coins! Yoshi's Island was also superb.

Did you play the DK series?

Only the first one Dazed, on that little handheld thing which eventually made for the inspiration for the DS shape.

There's tonnes of Nintendo stuff I haven't touched mostly because there's so much of it.

That Link series was immensely popular with lots of folk I know and Pokémon too - never touched them

I've no ill will towards them or the people into them but I've got enough where I am to keep me busy

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

You never played the super nintendo donkey kong games Juan? Fuck you.

My password is password

I played quite a few Zelda games, the Ocarina of Time is probably the best game ever and always will be.

Pokemon will always have a place in my heart, my son loved it and the original TV series.

I caught original TV series with a hangover on…SM:TV(? ) and sort of let it soak in, then some younger family members were talking about it and it seems I had quite a lot of knowledge for someone as old as I was (For them at the time).

20 odd years pass and I bump into people in bars who wouldn't have been born at that time talking about Pokémon like it's a big deal and that knowledge keeps on giving.

Conclusion, watch crappy Saturday morning kids TV while hungover and garner at least two generations worth of casual conversation with more detail to it than most can muster having put in minimal effort. Works for sports too

As for the Ocarina of Time. That's the one game that everybody recommends to me if they have played it. And they all say it's the greatest game of all time (That's because they didn't play Goldeneye on the N64, but fair enough).

If Nintendo ever port it to PC I'll give it a go. But buying games systems ended with the Wii and the DS for me (And they were gifts for someone else).

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

A Link to the Past on Super Brilltendo is the best Zelda game. In fact I would consider it to be Data Easts Magnet Opus.

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Two things Bobby.

1) Even better than Kung-Fu Master?

2) They didn't make A Link to the Past, that was Nintendo

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... Two things Bobby.

1) Even better than Kung-Fu Master?

2) They didn't make A Link to the Past, that was Nintendo
expand
Yes even better than Kung Fu Master.

And it WAS Data East under license from Nintendo, someone told me. Data East was the most influential company in gaming. 😊

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... Yes even better than Kung Fu Master.

And it WAS Data East under license from Nintendo, someone told me. Data East was the most influential company in gaming. 😊
expand
Find the someone that told you and ask them who told them that Bobby.

I think there's misinformation monger amongst your peers

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... Find the someone that told you and ask them who told them that Bobby.

I think there's misinformation monger amongst your peers
expand
Why do they want Data East to have the credit for everything, do you think?

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... Why do they want Data East to have the credit for everything, do you think?
expand
They are from the future and want to alter the history of the past Bobby.

Probably some big stock market shocker that will make them the richest person to have ever lived

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... They are from the future and want to alter the history of the past Bobby.

Probably some big stock market shocker that will make them the richest person to have ever lived
expand
That’s very scary to think that there is a time traveller in the local area and he’s set his sights on me and my social circle.

I know I don’t speak to him as much now but I wonder if he’s spoken to Padgett yet. Probably not because no one ever listens to him anyway.

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... That’s very scary to think that there is a time traveller in the local area and he’s set his sights on me and my social circle.

I know I don’t speak to him as much now but I wonder if he’s spoken to Padgett yet. Probably not because no one ever listens to him anyway.
expand
If he were to successfully compromise your inner circle Bobby they'd have to speak to Padgett

Ask Padgett about the game Frogger and see if he knows anything about it

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... If he were to successfully compromise your inner circle Bobby they'd have to speak to Padgett

Ask Padgett about the game Frogger and see if he knows anything about it
expand
I’ve just texted him now, I’ll see what he comes back with. 😊

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... I’ve just texted him now, I’ll see what he comes back with. 😊
expand
He's got a phone now?

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... He's got a phone now?
expand
Yes he does. It’s some old basic piece of crap which can only ring and text, but a phone just the same.

Anyway he got back to me which is very quick for Padgett, it usually takes him days. He said he remembers that game with the frog with the cape who drank Fosters lager.

He’s thinking of Superfrog for the Amiga and it’s Lucozade that he drank…the idiot.

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... Yes he does. It’s some old basic piece of crap which can only ring and text, but a phone just the same.

Anyway he got back to me which is very quick for Padgett, it usually takes him days. He said he remembers that game with the frog with the cape who drank Fosters lager.

He’s thinking of Superfrog for the Amiga and it’s Lucozade that he drank…the idiot.
expand
Superfrog was no Robocod or James Pond though Bobby

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... Superfrog was no Robocod or James Pond though Bobby
expand
Robocod was a fine game…it always felt very Christmassy. 😊

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... Robocod was a fine game…it always felt very Christmassy. 😊
expand
It really was just another Rick Dangerous game but with even more fun added in Bobby

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Juan Kerr said... It really was just another Rick Dangerous game but with even more fun added in Bobby
expand
Rick Dangerous is a great game too! They’re both Data East classics. 😊

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Bobby Tomlinson said... Rick Dangerous is a great game too! They’re both Data East classics. 😊
expand
They’re both Data East classics. 😊

This time traveller is certainly doing a number around your way Bobby

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

A Link to the Past was also incredible. I also enjoyed Link's Awakening which has been redone for the switch I believe. Minnish Cap was great too.

I don't think I knew that about the coins, now I feel dumb. And don't even get me started on DK. The SNES Donkey Kong Country games are the best platformers of all time. Even 3 which wasn't as popular.

My password is password

Yes I loved them all too. 3 was awesome with those cliff levels and figuring out how to get that DK coin.

I don’t like The Lost Levels, Dazed. It is the one I skip if I do a playthrough of all of the Super Mario games.

Funnily enough it is also the second game in the series which I skip over when I do a Zelda playthrough.

The truth of it all is, if I’m being honest, that I have never done a Super Mario OR a Zelda playthrough in my life…far too time consuming and expensive, but if I was to do so, these are the ones that I would skip. 🙂

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

I've no wish to attempt The Lost Levels again either, Bobby.

I'm the person who likes to complete and collect everything in a game (which is why I'm still playing Animal Crossing 3 years later) so it's a bit annoying that I didn't complete it but I learned to live with it!

Also @Juan Kerr is this information correct?

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

R-Type was certainly amongst the first beautiful ones but sticking to flying thing going to the side and the graphics moving to compensate for that, and baddies being shot and killed. That title goes back to 1979 and was called Bomber by Sega Bobby

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

So I was told wrong information again. Superb! 🙄

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Not necessarily wrong Bobby, but not 100% right either

Who is it that tells you these things?

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

All different people…Uncle Adrian, David Smith, Bogwheat. They can’t all be in on it together surely…I don’t think they even know each other!

What is YOUR Luxenbalm

Maybe they all get their information from the same source. They are all being treated to a bit of tomfoolery Bobby and you can pull the wool back from over their eyes and find out who the real culprit is

Ding Dong! 🤡🌎

Do you think that there’s a naughty man out there somewhere who’s going around telling people video game lies?

What is YOUR Luxenbalm