Games: Trivia and Quiz Games : CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIII

Re: CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIII - LUISE RAINER

2016 16:05:03) Flag â–¼ | Reply |
IMDb member since August 2006
CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIII - LUISE RAINER

A. ACADEMY AWARDS - She was the first actor (Male or Female) to win Academy Awards
back to back.For "The Good Earth" and 'The great Ziegfeld". Both for Leading Role.
B. BIG CITY - 1937 film in which she starred, directed by Frank Borsage.
C. CENTENARIAN - Miss Rainer not only reached the century mark, but handily passed it, to live until the age of 104 (and less than a month before she would have turned 105!).
D. DUSSELDORF, Germany, Her place of birth
E. ESCAPADE - 1935 romantic comedy with Ms. Rainer and William Powell.
F. FEDERICO FELLINI - Fellini offered Ms. Rainer a role in his 1960 film "La Dolce Vita", with a scene was written spec
G. GREAT ZIEGFELD, THE - one of her Oscar-winning roles.
H. HOLLYWOOD - Luise Rainer arrived in Hollywood in 1935, appearing in her first film role in Escapade, a remake of "Maskerade (1934)". one of her Austrian films.
I. INGA ARLBERG - her role in "The Stone Faces" a 1957 episode of BBC Sunday Night Theatre.
J. JULIEN DUVIVIER / JOSEF STERNBERG - In 1938, Msrs. Duvivier and Sternberg co-directed "The Great Waltz," a biographical film about Johann Strauss II in which Luise
K. KAROLY MECS - her co-star in "The Gambler".
L. LOVE BOAT, THE - Luise Rainer played twins in a Season 7 episode.
M. MAX REINHARDT - The legendary theater director Max Reihardt discovered Luise Rainer and she became part of his company in Vienna, Austria.
N. NAT PENDLETON - character actor who appeared in "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936)
0. O-LAN LING - Ms. Rainer garnered an Oscar win for portrayimg O-Lan Ling in "The Good Earth (1937)". According to her IMDB page: she gave her Oscar to "removal men who helped her relocate from Switzerland to London in 1989; she had been using the award as a doorstep for years and it was bent out of shape."
P. PAUL MUNI - her co-star in "The Good Earth".
Q. QUOTE - [on quitting Hollywood] "I was very young. There were a lot of things I was unprepared for. I was too honest, I talked serious instead of with my eyelashes and Hollywood thought I was cuckoo. I worked in seven big pictures in three years. I have to be inspired to give a good performance. I complained to a studio executive that the source was dried up. The executive told me, 'Why worry about the source. Let the director worry about that.' I didn't run away from anybody in Hollywood. I ran away from myself." (cited from her from her IMDB profile)
R. RETURN - with "The Gambler" (1997) she made her first theatrical movie appearance since 1954 (first in English since 1943)
S. SUSPENSE - Starred in the episode 'Torment' of this 1949-1954 TV Anthology show that was broadcast live.
T. THE TOY WIFE - Luise Rainer's name was above the title in ads for this 1938 drama also starring Melvyn Douglas and Robert Young.
U. UK - Where she passed on December 30, 2014 at the ageof 104) in Belgravia, London, England, UK.
V. VIRGINIA BRUCE - Co-starred with Luise Rainer in the 1936 film "Great Ziegfield" directed by Robert Z. Leonard.
W. WILLIAM POWELL - Her co-star in "The Great Ziegfeld".
X. XAVIER CUGAT - Luise appeared on 5 episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show between
1949 (Season 2) and 1959 (Season 12). Xavier appeared 17 times between 1954 & 1957.

(Tried not to do Xavier but I really couldn't locate anything else.)

The More You Help Others,
The More Your Life's Enhanced.👫 Happipuppi13

A. ACADEMY AWARDS - She was the first actor (Male or Female) to win Academy Awards
back to back.For "The Good Earth" and 'The great Ziegfeld". Both for Leading Role.
C. CENTENARIAN - Miss Rainer not only reached the century mark, but handily passed it, to live until the age of 104 (and less than a month before she would have turned 105!).
F. FEDERICO FELLINI - Fellini offered Ms. Rainer a role in his 1960 film "La Dolce Vita", with a scene was written spec
H. HOLLYWOOD - Luise Rainer arrived in Hollywood in 1935, appearing in her first film role in Escapade, a remake of "Maskerade (1934)". one of her Austrian films.
I. INGA ARLBERG - her role in "The Stone Faces" a 1957 episode of BBC Sunday Night Theatre.
J. JULIEN DUVIVIER / JOSEF STERNBERG - In 1938, Msrs. Duvivier and Sternberg co-directed "The Great Waltz," a biographical film about Johann Strauss II in which Luise
M. MAX REINHARDT - The legendary theater director Max Reihardt discovered Luise Rainer and she became part of his company in Vienna, Austria.
0. O-LAN LING - Ms. Rainer garnered an Oscar win for portrayimg O-Lan Ling in "The Good Earth (1937)". According to her IMDB page: she gave her Oscar to "removal men who helped her relocate from Switzerland to London in 1989; she had been using the award as a doorstep for years and it was bent out of shape."
Q. QUOTE - [on quitting Hollywood] "I was very young. There were a lot of things I was unprepared for. I was too honest, I talked serious instead of with my eyelashes and Hollywood thought I was cuckoo. I worked in seven big pictures in three years. I have to be inspired to give a good performance. I complained to a studio executive that the source was dried up. The executive told me, 'Why worry about the source. Let the director worry about that.' I didn't run away from anybody in Hollywood. I ran away from myself." (cited from her from her IMDB profile)
R. RETURN - with "The Gambler" (1997) she made her first theatrical movie appearance since 1954 (first in English since 1943)
S. SUSPENSE - Starred in the episode 'Torment' of this 1949-1954 TV Anthology show that was broadcast live.
T. THE TOY WIFE - Luise Rainer's name was above the title in ads for this 1938 drama also starring Melvyn Douglas and Robert Young.
U. UK - Where she passed on December 30, 2014 at the ageof 104) in Belgravia, London, England, UK.
V. VIRGINIA BRUCE - Co-starred with Luise Rainer in the 1936 film "Great Ziegfield" directed by Robert Z. Leonard.
1949 (Season 2) and 1959 (Season 12). Xavier appeared 17 times between 1954 & 1957.
Y. YOUNG, ROBERT - co-starred with Ms. Rainer a few times, including in "The Emperor's Candlesticks".

Y. YOUNG, ROBERT - co-starred with Ms. Rainer a few times, including in "The Emperor's Candlesticks."
Z. ZIEGFELD - A name that will always be connected with hers forever.

Okay thanks all for playing on my subject. Next is Up For grabs .

Re: CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIII - SUSAN HAYWARD

01. ADA - film she starred in with Dean Martin.

02. Barbara Graham - Her Oscar winning role in I WANT TO LIVE!

02. Barbara Graham - Her Oscar winning role in I WANT TO LIVE!
03. CANYON PASSAGE - film she appeared in.

A. ADA - film she starred in with Dean Martin.
B. BARBARA GRAHAM - Her Oscar winning role in I WANT TO LIVE!
C. CANYON PASSAGE - film she appeared in.
D. DRINKING - 3 of her Academy Award-nominated performances were characters with a drinking problem: Eloise in My Foolish Heart, Angie in Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman and Lillian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow.

D. DRINKING - 3 of her Academy Award-nominated performances were characters with a drinking problem: Eloise in My Foolish Heart, Angie in Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman and Lillian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow.
E. EDYTHE MARRENER - Her real name

CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIII - SUSAN HAYWARD

F. FIFTY-SEVEN (57) - The age she passed away at.

G. GAVIN MACLEOD - a co-star in "I Want To Live"

H. HOUSE OF STRANGERS - she plays 'Irene Bennett'

Take 'em to Missouri

I. ISOBEL RIVERS - her role in "Beau Geste" (1939)

J. JO VAN FLEET - her co-star in "I'll Cry Tomorrow"

K. KATIE O'NEILL KILDARE - Her character in "Untamed"

L. LLOYD GOUGH - her co-star in "Tulsa"

M. MAGGIE COLE - Ms. Hayward's last role was as a research doctor in "Say Goodbye, Maggie Cole", a 1972 TV film that was also a pilot for a series.

M. MAGGIE COLE - Ms. Hayward's last role was as a research doctor in "Say Goodbye, Maggie Cole", a 1972 TV film that was also a pilot for a series.
N. NAOMI STEVENS - as Miss Steinberg, warned Ann (Barbara Parkins) of what a b!tch Helen Lawson (Susan Hayward) could be in "Valley of the Dolls".

N. NAOMI STEVENS - as Miss Steinberg, warned Ann (Barbara Parkins) of what a b!tch Helen Lawson (Susan Hayward) could be in "Valley of the Dolls".
O. OVERMIRE, Lucy - her character in "Canyon Passage" (1946)

P. PATTY DUKE - co-starred with Ms. Hayward in "Valley of the Dolls"; shared memorable ladies room fight scene.

P. PATTY DUKE - co-starred with Ms. Hayward in "Valley of the Dolls"; shared memorable ladies room fight scene.
Q. QUOTE from "Back Street" "Do you know the worst part? He was trying to seduce me with champagne - domestic champagne."

Q. QUOTE from "Back Street" "Do you know the worst part? He was trying to seduce me with champagne - domestic champagne."
R. REAP THE WILD WIND - First of three movies she made with John Wayne

The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished!

S. STARLET AT TABLE - her first appearance on screen was in this uncredited "role" in "Hollywood Hotel" (!937)

IMDb member since November 2006
S. STARLET AT TABLE - her first appearance on screen was in this uncredited "role" in "Hollywood Hotel" (!937)
T. TYRONE POWER - Her co-star in "Untamed"

IMDb member since November 2006
U. UNTAMED - film she made in 1955.

V. VICTOR MATURE - and Susan Hayward made a torrid pair in "Demetrius and the Gladiators"

V. VICTOR MATURE - and Susan Hayward made a torrid pair in "Demetrius and the Gladiators"
W. WHERE LOVE HAS GONE - Film in which Susan plays Bette Davis's daughter

X. 'X-RAYS" - On the PINTREST site (at the link provided) is a picture of Susan Hayward and next to her is a picture of an X-Ray of the human hand. Neither one 'really' has anything to do with the other but they're just on the same page. https://www.pinterest.com/chris_thalgott/noir/

The More You Help Others,The More Your Life's Enhanced.👫 Happipuppi13

X. 'X-RAYS" - On the PINTREST site (at the link provided) is a picture of Susan Hayward and next to her is a picture of an X-Ray of the human hand. Neither one 'really' has anything to do with the other but they're just on the same page. https://www.pinterest.com/chris_thalgott/noir/
Y. YOUNG AND WILLING - Ms. Hayward was Kate Benson in this 1943 comedy

Y. YOUNG AND WILLING - Ms. Hayward was Kate Benson in this 1943 comedy
Z. No entry found

Next up: Debbie Reynolds

CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIV - DEBBIE REYNOLDS

A. ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATION - for Best Actress in a Leading Role - "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"

Re: CLASSIC ACTORS A-Z, Part XIV - DEBBIE REYNOLDS

A. ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATION - for Best Actress in a Leading Role - "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"
b. BUNDLE OF JOY - Starred in this 1956 Remake of Bachelor Mother alongside her then husband Eddie Fisher

B. BUNDLE OF JOY - Starred in this 1956 Remake of Bachelor Mother alongside her then husband Eddie Fisher
C. CHARLIE SOREL - Reynolds male character who turns into a woman in "Goodbye Charlie"

B. BUNDLE OF JOY - Starred in this 1956 Remake of Bachelor Mother alongside her then husband Eddie Fisher
C. CHARLIE SOREL - Reynolds male character who turns into a woman in "Goodbye Charlie"
D. DON RICKLES - co-star in film "The Rat Race"

E. EL PASO, TEXAS - birthplace on April 1, 1932

F. FRANK SINATRA - her co-star in film "Pepe"

G. GIVE A GIRL A BREAK - co-starred in this 1953 musical with Marge and Gower Champion

G. GIVE A GIRL A BREAK - co-starred in this 1953 musical with Marge and Gower Champion
H. HENRY FONDA - They share credit in "How The West Was Won"

I. IN & OUT - 1997 comedy as Berniece Brackett

J. JAMES STEWART - co-star in film "How The West Was Won"

K. KATHY SELDEN - Debbie Reynolds' role in her most celebrated film, "Singin' In the Rain"

K. KATHY SELDEN - Debbie Reynolds' role in her most celebrated film, "Singin' In the Rain"
L. LAS VEGAS - where she has performed many times and owned a hotel

I'm just a middle-aged dirtbag baby, listening to Peter Frampton maybe.

M. MOTHER - film she made with Albert Brooks.

N. NELL NASH - Ms. Reynolds' character in "The Gazebo", with Glenn Ford as her husband

N. NELL NASH - Ms. Reynolds' character in "The Gazebo", with Glenn Ford as her husband
O. ONE FOR THE MONEY - film she made in 2012.

P. PEGGY Brown - Character she played in "The Rat Race"

P. PEGGY BROWN - Character she played in "The Rat Race"
Q. QUIT - In September of 1969, Debbie quit her new, self named NBD series. She tuned in and much to her shock, saw a TV commercial for cigarettes. She had stipulated she'd do the show, as long as cigarettes were not advertised along with it. NBC quoted as saying then, "Frankly, We're mystified'. "Her own people had known of the commercial since March."

Read article here :
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19690917&id=Q90hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7J8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=6784,1786048&hl=en

Q. QUIT - In September of 1969, Debbie quit her new, self named NBC series. She tuned in and much to her shock, saw a TV commercial for cigarettes. She had stipulated she'd do the show, as long as cigarettes were not advertised along with it. NBC quoted as saying then, "Frankly, We're mystified'. "Her own people had known of the commercial since March."
R. ROBERT WAGNER - 3rd-billed above title after 2nd-billed Debbie Reynolds and top-billed Bing Crosby (playing a priest) in 1959's "Say One For Me"

Q. QUIT - In September of 1969, Debbie quit her new, self named NBC series. She tuned in and much to her shock, saw a TV commercial for cigarettes. She had stipulated she'd do the show, as long as cigarettes were not advertised along with it. NBC quoted as saying then, "Frankly, We're mystified'. "Her own people had known of the commercial since March."
R. ROBERT WAGNER - 3rd-billed above title after 2nd-billed Debbie Reynolds and top-billed Bing Crosby (playing a priest) in 1959's "Say One For Me"
S. SINGING IN THE RAIN - one of her better films.

T. TAMMY - before Sandra Dee took on the role Debbie Reynolds played her in "Tammy and the Bachelor"

I'm just a middle-aged dirtbag baby, listening to Peter Frampton maybe.

T. TAMMY - before Sandra Dee took on the role Debbie Reynolds played her in "Tammy and the Bachelor" . "Tammy" also a big #1 hit song for her in 1957.
U. UNIQUE - Unique that she was born on April Fool's Day (April 1st).
Coincidentally the same birth-date as Lon Chaney, Jane Powell and ....Method Man.