Games: Other Games : MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (Final 3 theme posted)

Re: Round Seven Results!

Consider changing the name of this series to "Convoluted Idol" lol.

#VivaLaBull - Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Cherry and I were pretty clear that the origin of this series was to make people actually think about the songs they were submitting, rather than just look at a list and randomly pick something. I like convoluted.

Waiting on 1 person, but I get that the themes are kind of difficult and require listening to stuff. If you can get them to me in the next 12 hours so I can send them out/at least start judging tonight, that would be cool.

You did to be fair, but I'm still facepalming at this

I like these themes. Not because they require searching through stuff to find something that fits. Because the themes are intelligent and very different from other fare. This stuff rewards thinking about what you're going to send in; when you think about the sorts of songs that you could send for the Lost Verses or Sound/Vision themes, there is all sorts of variety sitting around that you normally wouldn't send in "Songs of the 80s" or whatever.

"A passionate celibacy is all that any of us can look forward to."

"This stuff rewards thinking about what you're going to send in,"

In theory, you'd have a point, Martin. But after the thinking that I'm sure you did and I know I did for the Sound + Vision theme, trying to find a scene that was the most truly enhanced by the song, you and I came in the bottom two, and the winner was someone who sent in the opening credits for the movie "Watchmen". It wasn't even a scene at all, it was opening credits full of extras standing around. I doubt the person who submitted it had even seen that movie, as they listed it as "The Watchmen". It's almost as if they observed that the only perfect score of the game had been given for the thoughtful choice of Bob Dylan's Hurricane for the Prison theme, opened Bob Dylan's IMDb page and went to YouTube, looking for a clip of any of those Bob Dylan soundtrack songs.

I hadn't realized people were even using lists for this game until I saw the complaints about this round's theme. I had no idea. What's the point in playing if you're going to use a list? That's what people do? Look at an internet list called "Conversation Songs", pick one and send it in? Do they even like music?

Lol I like music, but not as much as some. Most of these themes I require help with. I don't see a problem with looking at lists and picking a song I've likely never heard and submitting it. That's using my gut, to think that it will do well, but not knowing for sure. I could just as easily pick something that does badly.

Neil you are such a hypocrite you look down on people for playing it safe but you try and get help

Lol Turner. God you are insufferable. I've never known such an annoying person in my life. Playing it safe is boring, that's about picking songs you know are popular. It's lazy. It's not the same as looking up songs you know NOTHING about and listening to them for the first time which aren't mainstream and widely played, and picking one you HOPE will do well.

You are dumb. Go away.

the winner was someone who sent in the opening credits for the movie "Watchmen". It wasn't even a scene at all, it was opening credits full of extras standing around. I doubt the person who submitted it had even seen that movie, as they listed it as "The Watchmen"

Not that I specifically need to justify myself to you...but this is the original message I sent to Tomcat with my picks for the sound and vision round:

1.Bob Dylan - The times they are a changing WATCHMEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24D87SqaLQ

2. Queen with David Bowie - Under pressure Grosse Pointe Blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyuAq5Yq34

just in case number 2 doesn't qualify as it doesn't feature much of the song...

3. Bill Withers - Ain't no sunshine Notting Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_BXD_ONQ8

The fact that it appears as The Watchmen in the results is something you'll have to take up with whoever posted them.

I would like to draw your attention to one thing though...this is taken directly from the "sound and vision" themes post, from the host:

For this theme, you will submit a song as it appears in some film medium

As far as I'm aware, the opening credits of a movie would fall under that category, would it not?

p.s
yes, I have seen the movie.

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

"Theme Six: Sound + Vision

For this theme, you will submit a song as it appears in some film medium. It can be a movie, a TV show, a short film... whatever. There will be a total of 30 points available for each player: we will grade on a scale of 1-5 for how much we like the song, and a scale of 1-10 for how well the song fits, and enhances, the scene. The song can be playing independent of the events in the scene, or it can be sung by someone in the scene - both are fine. But the key is finding a scene where the music truly adds to the scene, to create a depth that wouldn't be accomplished without the music. It can be the best song in the world, but if it doesn't fit the scene, you'll get a low score; it can be the best scene from the best movie, but if the music is unimpressive and the scene isn't enhanced by the music, your score will be even lower. We will judge all music in the scene - if, such as in the case of a short film, the music is only in part of the scene, we will judge the effectiveness of both the music and periods of silence. Note: We will not be judging how "good" the scenes are as a whole, only how effective the soundtrack/score is in enhancing the story/visuals, and how good the soundtrack/score is on its own merit (regardless of the scene).

Send scenes/songs to me, Tomcat Murr, by January 15th at midnight-ish CCT (technically 16th, blah blah)."

13 times, he instructed us to send a scene. The opening credits of Watchmen isn't a scene. You can't do wrong in this game, Pete, enjoy it.

JFC I will be selective now joining idol games with people that write novels for no reason. I've been sending dumb shyt and having fun with it and in turn the hosts are having fun judging mine because you never know what weirdness I will come up with next. It's not that deep fam. I would suggest some of you learn how to enhance your calm.

👜 #briapurseclub 👜

Ignore the troll SweetSunflower. She is only here to troll and love TomCat.

I would suggest you change your name to BitterNettle lol

If you had seen the movie Watchmen, then you would realise that the opening credits are in fact a Scene, as it is where we are introduced to the history of these self-made super-heroes,spanning decades.... I could understand if the song had played over a black screen with actors/actresses names intermittently popping up (like Pulp Fiction, for example), but this was not the case.

I'm sure you'll find something else to moan about...perhaps the fact that I had a cheek to send a song that was released within the last 5 years? Or that the song that I sent for Lost Verses was too short and taken from the a 60s horror movie?

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

One of these socks should change their name to BitterNettle lol.

Aye-yi-yi. Pete's right, Sunflower. If the credits have worldbuilding going on, it qualifies. And it is an excellent use of the song as well. I have no one to blame but myself (and Cherry ) for getting eliminated.

As for the themes themselves, I've already mentioned that I am on the judges' side. The themes themselves are great (Church aside), and even if they don't always agree with us, they're doing their best to write comments that are helpful Their tastes are also much more outside-the-box than most, so sending in riskier stuff is often rewarded.

Many times I've had to think about how to fit themes, and many times I've had to pull songs I'm not necessarily familiar with, but that's okay by me. It should be a game that you work on, not just one that you just send in the safest song and then you're safe.

Pete <3 Murr and I had the same discussion the other night when he yelled at me for scoring you too highly. It is a scene, albeit a montage, it's showing the backstory and history of the characters, and the song fits it perfectly.

Taco Coma

I didn't know people still said aye-yi-yi

I broke a key on my keyboard

What about scoring me too low, gurl?

She couldn't score you fairly because her hands were full, carrying Pete in one hand and Kathy in the other:

"Kathy
"The F Word" (Shameless)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7AZy7mkA4

Cherry: Steve Kazee <3 A show I know! Except this is from season 6, and I actually didn't watch that season yet lolz. But whatever, I saw season 5 so I can kinda put stuff together. This is great, I am kind of in love with the guy who plays Gus actually, so great pick there. I have kind of a love/hate thing with Fiona too, so I can relate to this song, I am sure she deserves it, but also, I feel kind of bad for her too. Anyway, this is my favorite of the round, yay.

Murr: Dammit, Kathy. I don't even know if you actually read the theme. But somehow, this does actually work. Not at all what I intended... but hey, it is a song..."

Click that link and tell me that deserved 8 points more than your scene did, Martin. 8 points.

I... what? Seriously, what? The song isn't too bad, but I would tank you so hard on the way the visuals play to the song. Showing Fiona's response to the song works a little, but the whole thing is so pedestrian looking on the whole, and the music doesn't really change the way you look at the scene at all.

I finally found a clip of mine on Youtube. The quality is crap, but I think you can get the idea (and you won't have to sit through 5 minutes of commercials): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqF8xVdDe8A

I liked how the song turns a standard chase scene into a lyrical battle between Jet (the pursuer) and Alicia (the pursued). It's beautiful stuff, even if the scene itself doesn't rank as one of the best moments of the show. (Which says more about how much I love the show than what I think of the scene, but whatevs.)

Hey hey hey hey hey. What is going on here?

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Sport?

It's Bull, BULL!

Did you take your pills today?

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that when Murr hosts the round, I have no idea who sent what. In Martin's case I guessed, since he has mentioned that anime a dozen times before. But everyone else, I have no idea who sends what.

I am allowed my opinions though. That's why my name is in the title of the game.

Taco Coma

Exactly. And with yours, Martin, despite the fact that I don't even speak the language that your scene is in, I could tell by the tone of the music and the tension it evoked that either there was gonna be an explosion or a crash, and there were both. That's something. Check this out:

"Sunflower
The Who - A Quick One, While He's Away (Rushmore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL-kvgOGmzc

Cherry: Ew bugs. Wtf I don't wanna watch this. Okay, don't totally understand wtf is going on, and this song isn't that good, and I really don't know why you sent this, it's like literally generic as *beep*. BUT MARTIN SENT ANIME, SO THERE'S THAT.

Murr: Another Wes Anderson movie I haven't seen! I love how the music comes in right when Bill Murray sees what's happening, and that look on his face - could totally see him mentally making the sounds in the song's intro. I love the "you are forgiven" as his brake lines are cut. Is Jason Schwartzman really 5'3? I actually love this scene, but I'm not scoring the scene. Decent song - for The Who, at least - and parts of it work really well with the scene. lol @ Jason Schwartzman looking tough. I love how deadpan it is when Bill's giving a description, then how Wes Anderson-style badass Jason looks when the music picks back up, walking down the hallway. A few little moments like that where the music works perfectly with the scene.

"[I]t's like literally generic as *beep*"? Really? Where are all these movies where a middle schooler infests a grown man's hotel suite with bees, then the man crushes the middle schooler's bicycle with his Bentley, then the middle schooler cuts the brake line on the man's Bentley so that the man almost runs over a bunch of school kids, and the man gets the middle schooler arrested. O m g, like so totes generic, it's everywhere.

Terrific use there, actually. I agree with Murr's writeup pretty well and don't have anything to add.

I'm not complaining about your taste, Cherry. Just that your taste tanked me. In that particular theme, though, I feel that there is room for some objective criticism of how the songs played to the overall feel of the clip. You did mention that my song sounded like "Kiss from a Rose" -- which it totally does, you're right -- and I thank you for that. But I feel that clips like mine or Sunflower's actually have a lot of merit on the basis of the music working together with what's happening on screen, regardless of the judges liking a particular song or not.

Edit: I mentioned it a dozen times? A DOZEN TIMES? Woman, if I've only mentioned it a dozen times, I have to hand in my fanboy card. I need to get my Toys in the Attic and have some me time. Have some Sympathy for the Devil. I was going to ask you to be My Funny Valentine in February, but now I'll have to go Jamming with Edward instead.

What are you guys actually discussing??

1.) An opening credits scene is a scene. No, it's not what I was going for, and Cherry and I did argue about how well the music not only fit but actually *added to* the scene, but it is a scene. Another inspiration for the theme was actually Fantasia... hence I said story OR visuals.

2.) Judging is subjective. I agree the Sound + Vision theme had a slightly more objective format, but I can't control what Cherry does, and this is half her game. People are going to disagree with our assessments - and we often disagree with each other, too - but that's part of that game. Ultimately, it's just a game.

3.) Ben, if you're going to keep annoying everyone, at least post music to make it somewhat interesting for me. Thanks.

Everyone has submitted, but I'm waiting for someone to confirm something. Hopefully we can get it sorted tonight and send the songs out. Pretty sure Cherry is closing tonight, so I doubt she'll be up for judging. Hopefully tomorrow, though.

Thanks, Martin.

"But I feel that clips like mine or Sunflower's actually have a lot of merit on the basis of the music working together with what's happening on screen, regardless of the judges liking a particular song or not."

Yup, and Murr laid out very specific scoring guidelines to reflect that:

"we will grade on a scale of 1-5 for how much we like the song, and a scale of 1-10 for how well the song fits, and enhances, the scene."

It's just a bummer; I wish you were still in the game. I was thinking about what you said about men as vocalists pursuant to our discussion of Chimacum Rain, Leonard Cohen, et al. What do you think of a guy who can do a really mean falsetto, like Steve Winwood in Blind Faith? Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyynO6O0kc

I would have said that falsetto is crap, but this guy is good. Never would have guessed that this is a man. Maybe towards the end, but the thing is, it sounds natural. Too many falsetto singers force it.

You are so smart and knowledgeable, Martin. You will make a lovely husband some day.

You are so smart and knowledgeable, Martin. You will make a lovely husband some day.

What about me Neil?

Up yours with an egg beater, Neil. I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about music. Can't even read the stuff.

Up yours with an egg beater, Neil.

How DARE YOU DISRESPECT me like that? . That was a good insult though. I must use it in the future.

I stole it: http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=9

Yes, you strike me as a THIEF! Lol but I'm the only thief around here. I'm gearing up to steal someone's song. Watch your back, y'all . That's if I even survive this round, which I have doubts about.

Actually what point are these cards valid until? Haha such a silly question. Like, how long before my coupon expires?

The Invincible card goes until final 5, at which point in can be traded for another.

So I would assume that all other cards last all game.

The round that begins with five people is when they all expire.

For the record Murr still hasn't sent me songs!

Taco Coma

*beep*

Crap. I forgot to hit send or something. I could've sworn I sent them. Sent them now.

Yeah, so... Was gonna post results tonight, finally, but Cherry's disappeared and hasn't sent me her scores.

Tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, everyone.

I thought this had been cancelled.

Not quite! Got scores from Cherry, results soon. Sorry for the massive delay this round. We suck.

The issue is who has time to literally sit there listenting to tons of songs that fit what he's looking for? I'm sure none of Have that time or patience.

I can later but not now.

I sent him a song asking him if it fit but he hasn't replied.

In Trump We Trust

Re: Round Seven Themes

Neil - 17, 16, 14.5, 12.5, 15.5, 23 = 98.5
Jesse - 14.5, 18.5, 8, 16.5, 17, 23.5 = 98

Neil - 17, 16, 14.5, 12.5, 15.5, 23, 22 = 120.5
Jesse - 14.5, 18.5, 8, 16.5, 17, 23.5, 33 = 131

Updated it Neil

Re: Round Seven Themes

SweetSunflower: 13.5 + 17.5 + 13 + 17 + 20 + 18 + 32 = 131

Re: ROUND 6IX! RESCHULTZ

But how would you cope with a ballet dancing princess battling evil by working as a therapist to to the bad guys while Tchaikovsky plays in the background? Your love for the one would battle with hatred for the other until your head exploded.

Re: ROUND 6IX! RESCHULTZ

Awe, Eric's song! <3

And I was watching the episode with Fiona's F song last week!

Such a pity, I'm more interested in the theme and the submissions now that I am out of the game! :D

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (results + new theme)

What's your best finish in an idol game, Martin?