Games: Other Games : MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (Final 3 theme posted)

Re: ROUND FIVE RESULTS

Hey Martin. I just listened to Chimacum Rain. It kind of reminds me of music my parents played when I was little, especially Judy Collins' music. I think you might really enjoy her version of Leonard Cohen's song, "Suzanne". Collins' version is actually the first version, released in 1966. Cohen himself recorded the song and released it in 1967. Oh wait! I found a little gem for you, Collins and Cohen performing "Suzanne" together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL1AJdA7aI

I like Judy Collins. My mom went to some of her concerts, I believe. I actually discovered her through The Muppet Show, singing Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns." I adored her performance, and she's a pretty good singer. Not one of my absolute favorites, but I like her style.

"A passionate celibacy is all that any of us can look forward to."

I think it's the tonality of the vocals in Chimacum Rain that brought "Suzanne" to mind for me. I suppose that has more to do with how Cohen wrote "Suzanne" than how Collins performed it. I didn't realize that until I listened to Cohen and Collins performance that I linked above. Do you like Leonard Cohen's music?

Dana loves Leonard. Big fan lol.

#VivaLaBull - Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I don't like Cohen from what I've heard of him. I tend to like female vocalists and dislike male vocalists. They tend to be more... musical? I dunno. Male voices work for stuff like the Blues or raspier, "harder" music, whereas female voices work for "softer" arrangements and genres.

I'd have to into detail about stuff I don't know much about to be more specific -- for example, I think a mezzo soprano is a great voice for singing "hard" arrangements, and a good tenor could sing love songs just as beautifully as any woman.

But if you try to get, say, Louis Armstrong to sing a love song, it doesn't work. His voice doesn't fit the material. You need Nat King Cole.

"A passionate celibacy is all that any of us can look forward to."

A cheerful tune about a sad state of affairs while we wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfsHTufW1z4

🎵

Lol Cherry you made me laugh!

I guess live clips aren't too popular but Bruce is so good live, and he doesn't have a studio version of Trapped.

I am just glad I hung in, sorry Than!

Gee Woodle, Space Kadoodle!

Farewell Than! The game won't be as terroist-y without you!

Think I have all the submissions. I'll send them out/make sure in just a few. Thanks, kids.

Re: Round Seven Results!

OMFG who brought these trolls to this board???!

In Trump We Trust

Re: ROUND $4

Do these have to be literal ghost stories, or can the songs be a sort of mourning, nostalgia-tinged or regretful rumination on the past? It sounds like you're going for the latter, but I'm not 100% sure.

She didn't marry your penis... Okay, she didn't only marry your penis.

Both would be ideal. But some degree of ghostliness is all that's required. Past nostalgia alone is begging for "I miss you girl, woah woah woah" songs. But if there's even a slight ghostly tinge to it, that's fine.

I will die if somebody sends MJ - Thriller

A few posts have been deleted...including the "results comments" and the new theme. Any chance of these getting re-posted?

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

Murr said the new theme is ghost stories, both in sentiment and actuality of loss... grieving for the lost and missed person. Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm paraphrasing from what I recall.

Edited to add: but ghost stories were definitely the key words. I believe they were in bold in his post. Round 4 deadline is Tuesday night (the 10th) at 11:59pm or maybe midnight.

Thank you ;)

"Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

You're welcome. :)

And this is the round I will be leaving I feel LOL

In Trump We Trust

Aww, come on. I bet you do fine. Not feeling the ghost stories theme?

I don't GET IT.

He wants songs about death? Or does it have to be death? Can it be heartbreak? Or insecurity? We all have different demons that haunt us in life.

He was not very clear on what he wanted

In Trump We Trust

Oh gosh, if you're talking about him not being clear, I hope you saw his actual post and not just going from the super, ultra streamlined CliffsNotes version that I remembered and posted. But I think he did say that there should be at least one reference to an actual passing, otherwise the theme would invite a slew of Baby, baby, baby, U know I miss U, gurl type songs.

Again, this is merely the best I can recall.

I can guess what happened.

I'll re-post the theme later tonight or tomorrow morning. This is annoying. Cherry should hopefully still have the results, too - I know she saves them in a separate document to copy & paste.

REPOSTING OF THE COMMENTS:

Kathy
Discobitch - C'est Beau La Bourgeoisie (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVQ2r-_zQk

Murr: wtf is this? Is this real life? Is this chick even seventeen??? I don't even know why, but I kind of like this. Cherry is gonna tease me so much. I feel like I'm really stoned and want to just sit at home watching Survivor, or my hand, and someone dragged me out into the world, but it's all kind of fascinating for some reason, but I also am worried I'm gonna puke on the dude on the bus in front of me. Ya know?

Cher: English and French dance music mixed together, with lots of chanting I am a bitch. I imagine this is literally your themesong, probably play it everywhere you go. I mean “I’m recording a track for the bitched out there, shaking their asses like they just don’t care” is pretty lulz. This isn’t what I would consider a good song exactly, but the French actually does enhance it. As I mentioned, the English lyrics leave a bit to be desired, but the French balances it and makes it sound sort of edgy as opposed to just really lolztastic.

Mas
Ha Hyun-woo - Lazenca, Save Us (Korean, English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4itPnv5ru9o

Murr: Holy sht, I need drugs for this round. But this is kind of amazing. What the hell is happening here??? Why is this person dressed like a wooden soldier from the Nutcracker via anime via acid via some serious issues that we won't get into? Why is this so cool??? SAVE US!!!!

Cher: This is from that Mask show you’re always talking about! Omg, it begins with some HIGH pitched noises. Okay, obviously I can’t understand a word he’s singing, but musically this sounds like Queen, which is kind of interesting. His mask is kind of terrifying, btw. What is the point of the masks, anyway? These are like, unknown people on the show, aren’t they? Is it just so they aren’t judged on their looks, and also, the masks make it WEIRD AND STAND OUT? Anyway, the song wasn’t bad, kinda liked it.

Neil
Arcade Fire - Une Année Sans Lumière (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4oxm6YLN0

Murr: lalala. I might not be a little drunk, but I also might be. This is pretty and warm and fuzzy and stuff. Oh wait, they're about to rock out. Oddly not that impressive of a rocking out moment. The rest of the song is actually really nice, though. Almost twee, but with enough self-awareness to not actually be twee.

Cher: I’m not a massive Arcade Fire fan like some people are, and I don’t think Murr is either, but they have some cool songs. I actually really like this one. The two languages blend together nicely, and the music as a nice build-up.

Jesse
Celine Dion & Andrea Bocelli - The Prayer (English, Italian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhMIEV9yAs

Murr: I feel like this would be better if it were either reverb-laden and Cocteau Twins-like, or if it were recorded in the first half of the 20th century and on some record I inhereted from my grandfather. Something about the schmaltz kills what it could be... ths overstated quality to it. It's fine.

Cher: I am kind of surprised that not only was Celine sent, but it is a song that doesn’t feature her singing in French. Honestly, this seems like a bit of a strange choice to submit. I mean you know the judges are me and Murr, not Kathy and Mark. I have some nostalgia for her mid-late 90’s songs, but in general, not like, a big fan. As for Andrea...I kind of hate opera, like I understand that he is talented, but like, his voice is not really pleasant to my ears. I don’t know. Like if I heard this song on Christmas I probably would find it touching, and I mean, it’s not BAD but it’s just...not something I would listen to for enjoyment. Voices are too high pitched for my uncultured ears.

Tammy
Regina Spektor - Don't Leave Me (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi6j48HOLBI

Murr: Hell yeah! I wish you had sent the music video for this, so I could oggle Regina. But whatever, it's fine... whatever. I legit used to "mistakenly" forget an ex girlfriend's name and "accidentally" call her "Regina" all the time. We broke up, btw. "They say, 'sir, do you got a light? And if you do, then you're my friend / and if you don't, then you're my foe / And if you are a deity of any sort, then please don't go'". Basically sums up how every social interaction should go. I would've preferred the stripped down earlier version from Songs, because I'm a snob, but this is amazing.

Cher: Murr will probably have a murr-gasm over this. To me, it’s just okay. Regina has a nice voice, but her songs are always kind of hit or miss with me, I like the slower ones better. This just sounds SO bouncy. I mean it’s cute, but like, I feel like I am in a scene of a chick movie, driving with the window open and my hair blowing around, after just meeting a new guy. And like, lolz that is not me, so...yeah.

Sunflower
Butthole Surfers - Let's Talk About Cars (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2raod6jrHU

Murr: When I was a kid, at my dad's house I used to hear ghosts talking. But every time I'd try to find where their voices were coming from, their location would change. True story, bro. idk why, but this reminds me of that a little. Anyway, this is kind of awesome. Goodbye, Hare Krishna. Goodbye, Patricia Nixon's breasts.

Cher: I just mentioned cars in my last comment, and now this song title is telling me to talk about them. I see on the sidebar they also have a song called Jingle of a Dog’s Collar, which sounds cool. I actually know some French, I took it for 6 years, but like...I am much better at reading it than comprehensive listening. They talk way too fast, my ears process nothing. Anyway, this seems like some kind of deep, concept song. Not sure if I really get it, and not that appealing to me personally, but it’s alright.

RTF
Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, Pink - Lady Marmalade (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZk

Murr: Oh, this.

Cher: Eyeroll. Not surprised someone sent this, or that the someone was you, haha. I did like this a lot when I was a teenager when it came out. I do like the whole burlesque thing, and the song is annoyingly catchy, haha. Mya is by far the most attractive one. Like, this will totally be stuck in my head later, by watching Mya kind of makes it worth it. Maybe.

Eric
Sublime - Caress Me Down (English, Spanish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LP4IU6XD4

Murr: Was Ron Jeremy really a cultural icon that long ago? Kind of creepy. My little sister would've loved this a couple years ago when she was a stoner. Naw, this is good, for some fcked up reason.

Cher: Calling this song bilingual is pretty much offensive to the Spanish language, haha. I don’t really like this, like, at all, sor. I already knew you kind of had terrible taste in music though, it’s fitting with you being terrible in general xoxo.

Thanny
Maître Gims feat. Sia - Je te Pardonne (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKhktVb2yU

Murr: Pretty, I guess. Dude has an old school chanson kind of voice in parts of this, which is nice. The Sia part is oddly nice, even if it does sound a like a movie score/video game soundtrack. Eh, it's alright.

Cher: Damn Sia, bursting in here to interrupt another Survivor reunion before Cydney gets to speak. It’s weird how most of you picked French, but I guess maybe not that weird, probably just has the most hybrid songs. I’m not a Sia fan really, (also, did she seriously say she ALMOST GAVE KEITH SOME MONEY, BUT THEN DIDN’T? IF I WAS KEITH I WOULD BE IN T.EARS) but she sounds pretty good here, aka not annoying me.

Martin
Mai Yamane and the Seatbelts -- Blue - Blue (English, Latin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qBqP2I4p8

Murr: I kind of love this. Her voice is amazing, and all the nice in the big climax is a huge plus. Like is just a dream, you know? It's never-ending. Hm. This almost sounds like something Lou Reed would've written in the '90s, but not, because of the female vocals and her being able to hold a note, raspiness aside. Blue is such a lovely color.

Cher: I liked the intro a lot, the Ave Maria sample is nice, but then the main part of the song started and I wasn’t as much of a fan. The music is kind of cool and peaceful though.

Pete
Eartha Kitt - Under the Bridges of Paris (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_vi5ksx6o

Murr: Hey, Pete. Obviously this is Pete. Thanks for pandering to me, bro. This is obviously getting a great score from me. Best song of the round... even better than Regina. I mean, Regina is hotter than Eartha, but this song is just incredible, so that becomes irrelevant. "The vagabonds go there at night, to sleep all their troubles away..." Poetic way of saying they're drunk and passed out. Very sophisticated. Eartha Kitt's voice was incredible. Kind of a Marlene Dietrich or Juliette Greco thing going on - maybe more coquettish, safer... but that same sort of ebbing and flowing raspiness. Great pick.

Cher: Guys, I had sex with Eartha Kitt in an airplane bathroom. What, it came up organically! Anyway, this song is like, sweet and romantic, and I mean, I don’t generally go for romantic, but I assume this is yet another way of you telling me that you are in love with me, in which case, duh, and also, yes, I will move to Paris with you, thanks for asking.

Dana
Patti LaBelle - Lady Marmalade (English, French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxCurfPEoI

Murr: Oh, this. Naw, kidding. Better than the other version. The vocals seems to fit the music better, somehow... as opposed to being *over* the music. Definitely more soulful, less Christina Aguileraful.

Cher: It’s always kind of fun when I get to judge a cover and the original in the same round. In this case, this song is obviously better than the cover, although there is no cute Mya, haha. I’m sure Murr did not enjoy having to listen to this song twice, but that’s okay, no one cares what he thinks, xoxo. Anyway, overall I wasn’t crazily impressed with this round as a whole, and I am a bit disappointed that no one sent Damien Rice and Melanie Laurent.

Taco Coma

Murr said the new theme is ghost stories, both in sentiment and actuality of loss... grieving for the lost and missed person. Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm paraphrasing from what I recall.

It doesn't necessarily have to be sentimental. That's one way of going about it. Narratives of reflecting a ghost tale from the perspective of primordial grandiloquence would be another way (see the introduction to the theme). Also, any ghost story will suffice. I'm not necessarily aiming for murdery ghost songs, but those will be accepted if people really want to send them (it won't hurt your score - if the song is good, so be it... just not what I had in mind for this theme, but that's neither here nor there).

I don't GET IT.

He wants songs about death? Or does it have to be death? Can it be heartbreak? Or insecurity? We all have different demons that haunt us in life.

It can be, yes, but it doesn't have to be. It can reflect your personal views, or some personal meaning, or not. The important thing here is that there's a ghost aspect to the song. There should be death, and some consciousness *within* that, at least implied. Not just about death, but some sort of continuation suggested as part of that death (ie: ghosts, or even just "ghosts"). Ideally with that death and ghosts being literal, but I have accepted some more figurative and/or vague submissions that otherwise fit the theme. If anyone's unsure, though, just make it literal - there's nothing wrong with an actually ghost story as the narrative of the song.

ROUND $4

The languages of man are of use no more. As the seas rise for the return of the Mermicorn race, the spirits of Nineveh pack up to leave, and the bodies of Atlantis float to distant shores. The ghosts of the Great Highway light their cigarettes and hop in their cars, heading through the fog toward some unknown destination - leaving the bay, flowing into the ocean, glowing. With them, their stories would slowly vanish to make way for the new, that was once the old. O! If not for you, dear children, at the behest of the Mermicorns who, in their infinite kindness and state of perpetual splendor, wish to unite the better aspects of our cultures. Cities will crumble and turn to driftwood, the evils of our time will be washed away, but warm memories of those we loved and lost will remain for every race to come! This round, you will be sending songs to be catalogued in the Great Mermicorn Library, to remember humanity for its pensive wonder and its more ethereal rituals, rather than our greed and excess...

Theme 4: Lost Verses

Like, basically send ghost stories put to song. But that's not quite what I'm going for here, though any ghost story will be accepted. My idea here is ghost stories, but in a more delicate, gracious way than violent or haunting. Still, plenty of good violent/haunting songs out there, so do what thou wilt. Love is the law; love under will. So yeah, ghost stories... *addendum to the original post: as I mentioned to Martin, past ruminations would be one way to go about this in a "delicate/gracious" way, but it's hardly the *only* way. There does need to be some ghostly element to the song (either briefly overt or less briefly implied) - nostalgia alone is too open-ended. Also, there *might* be an Easter Egg here if you look closely and are having trouble. If you sent based on others' explanations, you're welcome to resend if reading this changes your impression of the theme.

Send that *stuff* to me, Tomcat Murr, NOT Cherry, by January 10th (technically 11th), midnight Central Cherry Time, so I can send them out to her before I go to bed. Basically, you have about 30 hours (I'll extend that until I wake up if necessary, for tonight's mishap). I'll get Cherry to nag you if you haven't sent by tomorrow evening.

oh lol, someone not happy.

anyway i actually don't really understand the theme properly but just try my luck with something. i hope it doesn't mean actual ghost although there's a ghost in my title so maybe yay? lol

I went with a figurative use, focusing on the "haunting" aspects of memory. Based mainly on this:

The languages of man are of use no more. As the seas rise for the return of the Mermicorn race, the spirits of Nineveh pack up to leave, and the bodies of Atlantis float to distant shores. The ghosts of the Great Highway light their cigarettes and hop in their cars, heading through the fog toward some unknown destination - leaving the bay, flowing into the ocean, glowing. With them, their stories would slowly vanish to make way for the new, that was once the old. O! If not for you, dear children, at the behest of the Mermicorns who, in their infinite kindness and state of perpetual splendor, wish to unite the better aspects of our cultures. Cities will crumble and turn to driftwood, the evils of our time will be washed away, but warm memories of those we loved and lost will remain for every race to come! This round, you will be sending songs to be catalogued in the Great Mermicorn Library, to remember humanity for its pensive wonder and its more ethereal rituals, rather than our greed and excess...

Theme 4: Lost Verses

Like, basically send ghost stories put to song. But that's not quite what I'm going for here, though any ghost story will be accepted. My idea here is ghost stories, but in a more delicate, gracious way than violent or haunting.

The imagery used here is what I tried to evoke, the idea of things washing away, being eroded by time. To quote a very navel-gazey (but still pretty catchy) song:

"At the end of days
At the end of time
When the sun burns out
Will any of this matter?
Who will be there
To remember who we were?
Who will be there
To know that any of this
Had meaning for us?"

That sense of the past fading away and becoming nothing, I believe that is the goal here.

I wanted to use my favorite Blink song (Not Now), but I've already used them and figured the judges would be sick of them.

Just waiting on Neil (irony... <3). If I get all of the songs early, Cherry and I can probably judge and post results tonight.

Lol sent! It wasn't intentonal! Was just stuck on this one.

Oh, that guy? Rabble, rabble, rabble... Rabble, rabble, rabble... *shakes fist in the air*

Still not good enough.

Not clicking that. Might be a virus lol.

It's just a link to an unfunny* South Park clip.

*Out of context, anyway. I don't watch the show.

Haha! It's a 14 second clip from an old South Park episode. If you Google "rabble rabble rabble" (you really only have to type "rabbl" and Google will give you the "rabble rabble rabble" option) that clip is the top result.

WTF? My comment about Trump got deleted, so I'll post it again. I was watching Celeb Apprentice and he was blatantly sexist to this attractive blonde woman. Brandi something. He said "you dropped to your knees? That's a nice image, you dropping to your knees" then he does a smirk. Such a pig.

About to send the songs out, submissions officially closed.

Some great picks this round and I'm really impressed with a few. Some people were confused by the theme, and I was kind of lax about some submissions, so I think it's time to officially point something out that I've hinted at a few times this game. It's something that Nat caught onto last season, and something I've mentioned in comments for idol games - Cherry has mentioned me doing it, too. So, it's hardly a secret. Most rounds, and EVERY round when it's a more conceptual theme, I include an Easter Egg for people to find. A song you can send or, if you don't like the song or want to come up with something on your own, something that can give you an idea of what we're going for. In this case, it was "Lost Verses" by Sun Kil Moon (yes, the title of theme, and what I based the theme around). Also: http://i.imgur.com/GghFbXW.png <<<< If you're ever stuck on a theme, especially a conceptual theme, you can click my profile and you'll get a hint about what we're going for. [winkyfaceemoticon] Now that that's officially been stated, conceptual themes will not be so lax anymore.

I'm not sure what Cherry's up to tonight, but I think there's a good chance we'll have results later.

[winkyfaceemoticon]

lol!

It's something that Nat caught onto last season

Ayyyy that's me lol

"I am not a stud. I’m a boyfriend. I love love and I cuddle for enjoyment."

There you are, control F-ing the internet for mentions of your name again

Taco Coma

ROUND $4 R35ULT5

Here we goooooo...

Pete
Isla Cameron - O willow waly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0uNJp15p3M

Cherry: I'm in a really bad mood tonight, so I am hoping these songs will cheer me up, or distract me at least. I'm guessing this is Martin, I remember he sent this is another one of my games a long time ago, I think it was 60's idol. I'd never heard it before, and I've never seen this movie either, but I thought the song was amazing the first time I heard it, and I've listened to it several times since then. It's really short, but it's so eerie and haunting. Excellent choice, and a great start to the theme.

Murr: This is definitely eerie. No doubt about that. And quite lovely in its eeriness. This theme was quite difficult for a lot of people... the songs I had in mind were "Lost Verses" (Sun Kil Moon), "Sweet Thing" and "Astral Weeks" (Van Morrison), "Resurrection Mary" (Ian Hunter), a few Jacques Brel songs (you could've used this as an excuse to send Brel, bro). Tons of Church songs, but I think that already scarred everyone. heh. Lots of songs, really - maybe one of my favorite lyrical themes. Still, this round is pretty interesting - just the diversity of the different impressions of this theme. You're definitely the only one who took it in this direction, and... not my favorite of the round, by any means. But I do like it. Eerie, haunting, lulling... It works.

Sunflower
Sufjan Stevens - Should Have Known Better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJT00wqlOo

Cherry: We judged this song last season, the final three theme was to submit a full album to be judged, and Nat sent Carrie and Lowell. Both of us enjoyed the album and it won the theme, so you're in a good spot. Anyway, I Sufjan a lot, and one of the things I think is kind of cool is the music with his voice and lyrics together...like the music has a slight upbeat quality to it, but then his voice and lyrics are more somber, and it's a nice contrast. Anyway, I really like this.

Murr: Pretty sure I first listened to this last season of the game. I love how so many of the songs on this album are connected with these atmospheric intrumental passages - all of which are brilliant. Definitely an Elliott Smith vibe to this song, and most of the album... and a lot of Stevens' material from other albums. heh. For some reason I always love the part where he reminisces about being 3 (maybe 4). Something about it just always catches me. My one complaint about this song is that the vocal harmonies can get a bit much, over an already doubled vocal. But whatever, it's a beautiful song. The "ghostliness" here is vague at best - more generational, his brother's daughter being that continuation, etc... Good enough. Probably my 2nd favorite song of the round.

Martin
Linda Perhacs -- Chimacum Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb59WCJTs_Q

Cherry: I am not familiar with her, so I looked her up, and this is from the early 70's, which I kind of guessed, it has that cool sound of folksy songs from that era. I like how this song is styled, with her voice layered. This has a nice haunting sound too, and I really like her voice. If all the songs stay like this, it will be a really great round.

Murr: ... and this is my favorite song of the round. What an amazing song, and so bizarre someone sent it for this game. There was that time in the '00s/early '10s when everyone was rediscovering these forgotten '60s/'70s impressionistic sort of folk singers... Vashti Bunyan, Sibylle Baier, and of course Linda Perhacs herself. In the dude category, Mandu got some attention. Great era. It's funny, because I think from that spike in popularity, they all seem more like '00s artists than '70s/late '60s. Sorry, rant. This song is seriously gorgeous. It's tough for me to wite about it, or type while listening. Probably the closest to what I was going for in this theme. Your explanation in the thread is interesting - I feel like it's not just things fading away, but also this sense of creation, in a naturalistic way (which is part of what I wanted from this theme)... I just looked up the lyrics. I always thought she was singing "sciences", not "silences". Sort of this feeling of not fading away, but fading into everything, as everything is kind of purified. Which is "ghostliness" at its finest.

Dana
Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZRbO7D0P8

Cherry: Lol can tell this one is country before I even click it, with the names Bobbie and Billie Joe. To me classic country is different than current, I actually like some classic country songs. Anyway, the song is kind of nice, I like how she's just pretty much telling a straight-forward story. This one doesn't necessarily have a ghost quality to it, but the death is clear, and it's effecting the narrator, so it seems fitting enough. It's interesting how not only is she the only one in her family who seems effected by this, but that her mother actually seems baffled at the idea of her losing the appetite when hearing that a friend (I'm guessing she had feelings for him as well) died.

Murr: Great song. I arranged these in a sort of haphazard playlist, btw. Figured we'd need a lift after the last 3 songs. heh. This song didn't even occur to me for the theme... probably for a few obvious reasons, like not really being at all ghostly, and this kind of cold indifference throughout the song (everyone's just eating and gossiping about the death of this kid, presumably the narrator's boyfriend... and she seems only marginally bothered). It's kind of a creepy song for that, but also pretty entertaining. Still, it's definitely a great song, and her voice is incredible.

Tom
Wintersleep - Weighty Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-iW0zL2LI0

Cherry: I like this song a lot, I have it on several of my playlists. It seems a bit literal for what Murr is probably looking for, but whatever. This is so upbeat and charming for a song that is pretty much about death. I like it.

Murr: This song is Cherrytastic. I'm betting she loves it. It's actually really good. I love the narrative here... Cynical, but celebratory, kind of this claim to one's own ghost and body, useless as they can be. It's actually a nice sentiment. Lots of "na na na"... that's fine. Definitely a different take on this theme, but one that I think fits the theme really well. Well done.

Kathy
Sonic Youth - Ghost Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymDK5pey8zg

Cherry: Lolz song title. IS THIS KATHY? I've never really listened to Sonic Youth much, but I'm pretty sure Murr likes them. This has a really long, kind of weird noisy intro. I kind of like it when she starts singing, just because like, it almost sounds like a ghost talking. Then I sort of started to get a bit like "meh, I'm over this" and then it ended abruptly, haha.

Murr: Did you even listen to this? I'm thinking not. I can't picture Cherry liking this at all. Once it picks up, it's actually one of the Kim songs I like (I love SY, but mostly for Thurston's songs)... nowhere neat "Shadow of a Doubt" (which actually would've worked really well for this theme), but it's definitely one of her better moments. The beginning/all the noise is actually cool, though. idk. I like it for what it is, but it's really more of a spoken word piece with some noise than it is a song... I'll be shocked if Cherry gives this higher than a 2.

Mas
BBMak - Ghost of You and Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMkJ_Nt82s

Cherry: Lollllll. Seriously, lol so much. Making Murr listen to a boy band, and not even one that was relevant. I remember listening to this when I was like, idk 16 or something. Okay like...this is not a ghost song, AND YOU CAN TELL BY THE TITLE. He's literally just crying about a girl leaving him. So you know, this is exactly the opposite of what Murr said he wanted. NOT SURE IF YOU ARE TROLLING, OR JUST GENERALLY TERRIBLE. I mean this is pretty lulztastic, but considering all of the songs have been great so far, and then...there's BBMak. Btw, random BBMak story. They performed here at the state fair like...idk, a year or two after they were popular, and two of my sisters went to see them, and anyway, these guys are British, and my sister told me one of the guys in the band announced to the audience "I like the festival food, I had a corndog" and like, <3 lmao. I get a corndog at the fair every year too!

Murr: Ha! I'm curious how this will do. I listened briefly, before judging, and it's not as bad as I expected... but it is kind of, er, the "woah woah woah" type of song I was trying to avoid here. Lolz. Technically, by saying nostalgia with a small ghostly tinge is acceptable, this fits... when I realized that, I got excited and hoped someone would send the Psychedelic Furs' "The Ghost In You", but no one did. Would've worked for the theme in the same way this does. Anyway, the vocal melody is actually nice. If the arrangement were different, and probably the lyrics, I feel like this could actually be pretty good. Again, not as bad as I thought. If Cherry tolerates this and really hates Kathy's song, you might be fine.

Than
Evanescence - Hello
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62G2u66fhp4

Cherry: I see Evanescence get submitted sometimes in other idol games, but never in any of mine. I don't listen to them much, but I think Amy Lee has such a great voice. This is a nice song for the theme, too.

Murr: This song really lays it on thick, doesn't it? I've never liked Evanescence - in fact, I tend to hate them. That said, corny as this is, something about it is kind of nice. Maybe it's my mood, maybe it's her voice, maybe it's just lulling enough, or maybe it was Memphis. Uh, yeah. I feel like if I space out and don't give much thought to the lyrics, there's something very tranquil about it. Another song that's not as bad as I thought it would be. Please don't try sending Evanesence again, though. kthx

Eric
Coldplay - Ghost Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XXX3dnlVc

Cherry:Hmm. Coldplay is hit or miss. Their slower songs tend to be the better ones, and this is off to a slow start, so we're good so far. This is decent. His voice gets a little too high a couple times, but overall it was pretty good.

Murr: Pretty sure the "ghost" bit here is just a metaphor for some chick ignoring him. But hey, again... lax theme. And what else would you expect of Coldplay? That said, it sounds really nice and all pretty, if inoffensive... but what else would you expect of Coldplay?

Jesse
Johnny Cash - Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahHWROn8M0

Cherry: Another song that isn't really a ghost song per say, but I'd say the emotion/sentiment is right for the theme, so it fits. This is definitely one of those songs where the cover surpasses the original, I mean, Trent Reznor even says so himself, haha. I wish you had sent the actual video, because I think this is one of those cases where the video fits the song so well it actually enhances listening to it. Anyway, this was one of my favorite songs in college, and I still really like it. Just full of so much raw emotion from a man looking back at his life and all the things he's done wrong, haunted by all the reminders LIKE GHOSTS AND STUFF. I hope Murr doesn't lowball you and say this song is overrated, because it's not, it's actual perfection. I wasn't even originally planning to give you a perfect score, but by the end of the song I realized I had to.

Murr: I've always liked NIN's version better. Pretty sure this was my favorite song on Downward Spiral back in the day. Kind of this angry, suicidal, broken junkie's catharsis. Really powerful. Cash's version is beautiful, and given his illness/death, it makes it a really lovely sentiment. But I usually feel like that strips the song of a lot of its impact. But for this theme, it's oddly poignant, and I wasn't expecting that. I like how it seems like he's so aware of his own death, that he's really talking about himself being "right here" even after death... and "I would find a way" takes on a whole new meaning. Interesting pick - one I wouldn't have thought of, but it really works well.

Neil
The Fray - How to Save a Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkBvhnri5s0

Cherry: This was a great song when it first came out, then it got soooo overplayed that everyone kind of got really sick of it. I don't listen to The Fray a lot, but I used to love this album. I love piano songs. This isn't something that would have crossed my mind for this theme, but I guess it kind of fits. It's nice to listen to anyway, and will possibly be stuck in my head for the rest of the night. By the way, if anyone's wondering, this is what I would have submitted had I been playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobOHwb7Hng

Murr: lol, I really don't like this song, nor does it fit the theme. But, see some of the other songs submitted. It's actually not an awful song... I feel like there's part of me that likes it, but another part of me that finds it so mawkish and revolts against the part of me that likes it. For some reason, I thought this would be a great closing song for the "playlist" - hammy and OTT, but can't you just picture the credits rolling while the audience dries their eyes and gets up to leave?

Math soon...

Re: ROUND $4 R35ULT5

Sorry for the delay. Forgot to make a card. Anyway, with a score of 19, the winner of this round's Mermicorn card is Martin! Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/CewqKxz.jpg You'll probably never use it, but congrats!

And the rest... (Pete used his Boost card, so +3 is added to his score)

18.5 Pete
17 Sunflower
16.5 Jesse
16 Tom
15.5 Dana
13 Kathy
12.5 Neil
12 Than and Eric

Which means, with a score of 7, Mas... you have been MurrCherliminated. So, this was a shock - I actually gave your song a higher score than Cherry did. You're a legend, an asset to this board, and we'll always have The Genius. But you probably knew sending a boyband was suicide. Thanks for playing.

Cherry will post your next theme shortly.

I am so honored to be given this Mermicorn card, oh majestic ones. I shall treasure it. I pray that I shall never be given cause to use it, but I am regrettably uneducated in the Mermicorn way. I thank you for bestowing this honor of your wisdom upon me.

The moment the theme was announced, I thought of a song that I sent in Mas's Masked Singer game. But I wanted to bring attention to someone I hadn't used before, so my mind went straight to Chimacum Rain. And once I thought of that I knew I had to submit it.

"It kind of gets inside you
The silences, I mean.
And the leaves, they wrap around you
And loosen everything."

Some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever heard. Also, I thought it would be cool to send in a song that was actually "lost" in a way, before the re-release exploded the album's popularity.

And yay, Murr mentioned Vashti Bunyan who I discovered yesterday after listening to my submission! And Sibylle Baier, but she doesn't quite do it for me. Never heard of that other guy, I'll have to check him out.

Theme Five

Hey guys, new theme time.

Theme Five: Prison Mermicorns were once feared by many other sea creatures, and as a result, many were imprisoned in oceanic jail shells. They overcame this and freed themselves by working together, but they vowed to never forget their time spent locked away. This theme you will be honoring their tradition by submitting songs about prison. Jail is acceptable, as well as metaphorical prisons, songs about being trapped are acceptable as well. These themes must be prominent in the songs, a song that mentions the word jail one time while being about something else entirely is not what I am looking for here.

Songs due to me by 2 pm Thursday CCT

Taco Coma

Re: Theme Five

http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF131-Lord_Gloom.jpg

"You can lock us up and lose the key,
But prisoners of love are always free!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51TIEpAgu8M

Martin, if that's your song you shouldn't post it on here lol.

I don't know if the video you posted is a song lol. But just in case.

In Trump We Trust

It's the "Cells are bad. My uncle lives in a cell." clip from Evolution.

Ka-aw! Ka-kaw, KA-KAW!! Tooki tooki tooki tooki! Ka-kaw, ka-kaw!