Games: Other Games : MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (Final 3 theme posted)

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS

You're in, Mas!

Announcement: hopefully we can get a couple more sign-ups, but we'll post the first theme tomorrow regardless - tonight if we get the sign-ups. With the holidays and this taking a bit to cast, the deadline will be fairly long to make sure everyone sees it and has time.

To help fill the game, I'm now accepting PM sign-ups, too - just to try to get this moving. Apologies to those of you I previously told to post in the thread in less dire times.

I love, I breathe Murrcher Idol! I hear Big D is in. THIS *beep* JUST GOT REAL!

#VivaLaBull - Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

"Yep. Youtube (preferred), Dailymotion, Vimeo... any common video hosting site - find the song you want, as performed by the artist of your choosing, and PM it to whichever of us is hosting that round."

Thanks for the reply, TheCommunistManifesto. Oh man, I know it's a TCM of some sort... Moving on, a couple/few questions:

Since song submissions are by PM, what happens if two different players unknowingly submit the same song for the same theme in the same round? Is it first come, first served going by the timestamp on each PM? Or do you give equal treatment to each player since they don't know what the other submitted because it's all by PM?

Have you ever hosted or played an Idol game where the submissions were on the board? Did it not go well?

Thank you for your patience, TheCrystalMethod, I'm still figuring out which way is up. (Plus it's really fun to ask you questions because you get it 😊).

Yeah first come, first serve. You'd just be asked to send another submission. It is a total pain, especially if it took you a while to settle on something you were happy with

Batages! Who did they think they are? I kid, I kid.

Have you ever hosted or played an Idol game where the submissions were on the board? Did it not go well? I'm just trying to figure out why submissions aren't posted to the board.

Not to my knowledge lol. It's all kept annonymous for the most part. Good to see a new player around here. Good luck!

Thank you. Good luck to you, too!

Since song submissions are by PM, what happens if two different players unknowingly submit the same song for the same theme in the same round? Is it first come, first served going by the timestamp on each PM? Or do you give equal treatment to each player since they don't know what the other submitted because it's all by PM?

First come, first served based on the timestamp. If someone sends the same song later, we'll PM them and ask them to resubmit. There's a way around this: just send 2 songs, a 1st choice and a back-up. People rarely do that, but it's strongly encouraged. Saves everyone time.

Have you ever hosted or played an Idol game where the submissions were on the board? Did it not go well?

I haven't, but in theory it should be fine; however, in practice it would likely be a lot of drama.

(Plus it's really fun to ask you questions because you get it 😊).

mmhmm. Welcome to this board, btw.

Thanks, TurnerClassicMovies, you're my favorite radio station.

Oh hey Sunflower, long time no see

Pop quiz, hotshot, 😉 who's your favorite actress from India?

Shilpa Shetty! Cos I don't know any others! Lol.

Yep her, I can't believe it's been a decade now since she won UK Big Brother!

Wow I have missed a ton of posts on this thread haha.

Emer, are you playing?

Hate me so good that you can let me out

I know it's sick. January 2007! How was that 10 years ago??!

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (theme 1 posted)

For anyone new to this board, threads on this godforsaken board are a lot easier to follow if you use flat mode to view them.

Waaaay easier to use nest mode, Tom's just lyin' to y'all.

My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

Waiting on Mas and Turner.

Just Turner, as usual haha. If he sends this evening I can send Murr the songs when I get home tonight.

Your deadline was way too generous! . I sent like 3 days ago!

Other deadlines won't be that long. Just wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to see the game started, and with the holiday season and stuff figured people might be busy.

Yeah I sent quickly yesterday morning because I wanted to make the deadline and now I find out that some people haven't sent yet. I think that those people should be docked points since they had a longer time to find something. I sent the first thing that hit me, but I actually later would have sent something different if I knew that other people were going to take forever to send. Oh well...

Docked points for sending later than you but within the deadline? . Don't be ridiculous. Whether they sent 1 minute after the theme was posted or 1 minute before 5pm on Friday, it all counts. It's just a pain for the rest of us having to wait. Nothing more than that. Dock points he says. Pfft. Should dock you points for suggesting it . Like in football, when a player tries to get another booked, they get the booking instead! Smh! Dock points lol! It's meant to be a friendly idol game. Catch yourself on, moany.

I only suggested it so that Cherry would sass me. I love it when she does that.

I do enjoy a good sassing too.

David, you're the worst and I love you. Neil, you're the best and I hate you.

Cherry sass.

I sent

That hurts like a thousand knives stabbing me all at once!

I love it!!!

Haha, I'll do the odds list tomorrow! It's going to be juicy.

Sent Murr the songs. Possibly results late tonight, if not tomorrow.

Weren't we supposed to send this to murr?

Turner, less joining every other game on the board when your game is going on 3 months now

#JesseRebelTakeoveriBB11

Nah, Cherry posted the theme. Doesn't matter, I'm sure the songs got to wherever they needed to go.

She didn't marry your penis... Okay, she didn't only marry your penis.

I call for a points dockage

Round One Results!

I have the results for you guys! The winner of this round will receive a prize! By the way, Pete and Tammy joined, so there are 14 of you now.

Tammy
The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7QfN-U-XE

Murr: First, the obligatory "you guys should've sent": "Trash" by Roxy Music, "Blissed and Gone" by Smashing Pumpkins, "She Was Only 17" by Marty Robbins, "Seventeen" by Ladytron, "Seventeen Seconds" by The Cure... That said, some good picks this round. I don't think I've ever seen anyone submit The Beatles, and there seems to be a stigma against them on this board. But I actually like them. Not my favorite Beatles song, but still good. And I'm a sucker for that trebly, tinny '60s guitar sound.

Cher: You sent one of those FOREIGN LINKS and I can’t watch it </3 This is a nice start to the round/season. It’s not one of the standout songs in their repertoire, but it’s cute and upbeat, and it fits the theme. I really like the kind of rockabilly sound to it, too. Plus it’s not one of the songs that immediately popped into my head that I assumed people would send, so yay.

Turner
Rodgers and Hammerstein - Sixteen Going on Seventeen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwK_WOXjfc

Murr: Ah, The Sound of Music. I feel like this has been pounded into my brain so hard that I can't hate it as much as I want to. I do like the cheekiness of part of this. You're clearly not that timid, love. idk. This is sort of endearing, I guess.

Cher: Rofl. This did vaguely cross my mind, but I obviously didn’t expect anyone to submit it. I know this was just your backup choice because Tammy stole your first one, but still, major lolz @ you sending this. I know Murr and I just constantly talk about how much we love musicals, except for when we don’t, which is always. The chorus is catchy and I’ll probably have this stuck in my head on and off all night. Wtf at the old times. Like, srs they are just a year apart, and they are all serious as *beep*, I’LL TAKE CARE OF YOU, I’LL DEPEND ON YOU, wtf you’re children, chill. I haven’t really seen this movie. I mean I am pretty sure I saw it or parts of it when I was a kid, but I really don’t remember anything other than a few lines here and there from some of the songs. SHOULD I WATCH IT? DO YOU THINK I WOULD LIKE IT? WHY IS THERE SUCH A LONG INSTRUMENTAL AT THE END OF THIS, WTF.

Neil
Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXatLOWjr-k

Murr: Love this song. I used to try hard to hate it, then I finally caved. I saw them live once at some festival, and remember not being too impressed, but got kind of giddy deep in my cold, dead heart when they played this. His hair is dumb - I will say that. Beautiful voice, though, so it evens out. Poor goat. Also, that's an epic cliff dive. I'm a little jealous. Yeah, great pick.

Cher: Whyyyyy does it always rain on meeeee? This song actually didn’t even cross my mind until you sent it, but it’s a great choice. I’ve always really liked this song. I like his soft, soothing voice. Plus, I lied a lot when I was 17 too, so I mean, I can totally relate to this. I don’t think I have seen this video before, like lol at their boat that is just a floating room. My mom and my sister just came home, and they have onion rings, and I am kind of jealous.

Thanny
Abba - Dancing Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

Murr: lol. Maybe this is one of those weird songs that Cherry likes, but I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard this again. But I can't deny it's catchy. I feel like a vaporwave version of this would be incredible. Um, yeah. No.

Cher: This was one of the first songs to pop into my head for the theme, and it was also, like one of my personal anthems when I was 17. Actually, I legit dressed up as a disco queen for Halloween when I was like 16 or 17, it was pretty hot. Actually, random story, I remember on my 18th birthday, my cousin (I’m a few months older than her) and I were driving around downtown, and we were listening to the oldies radio station or something, and this came on, and we were like amg, it’s our song...AND THEN WE WERE LIKE T.EARS YOU’RE NOT 17 ANYMORE. It was TRAGIC, guys. I am pretty sure part of me will always be 17 though. I mean I wear sparkly stuff and hello kitty socks. Anyway, to sum this up, ABBA <3 disco <3 and you’re lucky my high score will cancel out Murr’s inevitably much lower one, haha.

Mas
Lenny Kravitz - Magdalene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSxTRDz77XI

Murr: I have a weird aversion to Lenny Kravitz, but this is good. I also love the name Magdalene/Magdalena. This has such an '80s sound to it somehow, in that semi-respectable pop-rock apeing the '70s way, but surely released in the '90s or '00s. With a bit more twang it could easily be a Steve Earle song. Well played.

Cher: Lenny seems to get sent a lot in imdb games, which always seems weird to me, because like, I am pretty sure before these games I could probably think of like 3 songs by him off the top of my head. Like...I know who he is, obviously, and he seems like a super cool dude, but I just like, never listen to him. Except for his cover of American Woman, which I love for some reason. The guitar is nice and he has a smooth sound, but I don’t know, the song just seems like filler to me.

Sunflower
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'n' Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5spALs-eA

Murr: Conflicted about this song. I feared someone would send it. Joan Jett is kind of a badass. She seems to be kind of a conscious transition between the cheeky romanticism of glam rock and the dirty trashiness that it spawned in the '80s, which is an interesting balance - she and Hanoi Rocks were the masters of it. Can't say I'm crazy about this song, but it's always way more fun to listen to than I want it to be.

Cher: Haha, so when we were picking the theme, I told Murr that I hoped someone would send this, and he was like “ugh” because he is the worst. I love her raspy voice, and this is such a fun, catchy song, definitely a classic. Several people tried to submit this, but you got there first.

Pete
Chuck Berry - Little Queenie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-b0BtCSUXM

Murr: Hell yeah. Actually a song I thought of and wanted sent. "Meanwhile, I was thinkin'..." Now, this song is rather creepy given his whole bathroom scandal years later, but that almost makes it better somehow? This sort of exhaltation of teenagedom/youth is one of the hallmarks of rock & roll (nevermind that Chuck was in his 30s when he made a name for himself), and this song is a masterpiece testament to that. He's releasing a new album next year, btw... at 90 years old. The man is a force.

Cher: Here’s Pete with his stubborn never sending a song that came out after 1960 unless he has to thing . Anyway, Chuck Berry is super cool, for one thing, his name. Obviously I am a fan of fruit names. He is one of the biggest icons of the whole rockabilly thing too, which is cool. This song sounds a lot like Johnny B Goode btw. Also, Queenie was the name of the first dog I ever had, so this is making me think of her, which is cute. Too bad I didn’t know this song when I was a kid, I’m sure she would have had fun listening to a song with her name <3

Kathy
Blitzen Trapper - Furr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBgxP56R1I

Murr: Poor Blitzen. How un-Christmasy. And dogs are far superior to mothers. Anyway, this is precious as hell, but oddly satisfying. I mean, dogs and stuff. I imagine Cherry will love this, and I like it well enough. So I'm pretty confident you'll make it. Well played.

Cher: This is one of the few songs this round that made me wtf. I never heard of this song or these guys before. Not sure if this is something you like, or if you just stumbled upon it and thought we would. It’s pretty decent, not one of my top songs of the round, but definitely safely in the middle.

Dana
Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjV7qIPVsA

Murr: Oh hey, this isn't histrionic at all. Kids having sex... have they no morals??? Kids back in the day! Sheesh! Honestly, this song is really fun. I'm not saying it's great, but it's definitely fun. Also, praying for the end of the world... <3 I'll admit, I often have apocalyptic fantasies. Whenever someone predicts the end of the world (happens a couple times every year), there's always this perverse part of me that hopes they're right. Imagine how exciting it would be to live through, and die in, the end times? Ideally the end times would be more in the vein of some Western interpretation of a mesoamerican prophecy, or at least Nostadamus-like, than the vision of some loony Baptist pastor, but hey... beggars can't be choosers. So, I totally relate, Loaf of Meat and Bread and Seasoning!

Cher: Meatloaf is such an odd name to choose to perform as, haha. I kind of really love this song. Like it’s just really cool, I love how it’s divided into different portions, the lighthearted beginning, and then the baseball commenter in the middle is cool, the tense part about pressuring each other to make life changing decisions in literally the heat of the moment, all the way to the bitter end. I also love how the music is so ridiculously upbeat and fun throughout the entire song, but like, by the end of the song it’s so cynical, neither of them even want to be together, they made these whimsical promises as teenagers and both are too honorable/stubborn to break them, so they would literally rather the world end than leave each other, but it’s still sung in such an upbeat positive manner.

Jesse
Iron & Wine - Tree By The River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1OOg3cO3qM

Murr: This one is precious, too. But also beautiful. I like trees, I like rivers. Being 17 was kinda dumb. If not for Marc Bolan and my dog, it kinda would've sucked. But this is a lovely song. I love potty-mouth girls, bro. Like, such a glorious tribute.

Cher: I see you slipping in an artist you know I like, haha. This is a very “Cherry” song amidst a sea of like, classics and a few wtf musical numbers. Not one of my favorite Iron and Wine songs, but it fits the theme and his voice is always nice, and the music is clear and soothing, and kind of upbeat. Pop quiz, kids, how many times in this round will I say upbeat in my comments.

Eric
blink-182 - The Rock Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7hhDINyBP0

Murr: Either you're Tom, or you're going to make Tom very happy if this song does well. I actually prefer Tom Delonge's songs over Mark Hoppus' songs. Speaking of which, why does no one ever send Angels and Airwaves??? "Hey guys, I fell in love with the girl at the rock show! The rock show, guys, because we all like rock music, right?" It's a fun song - maybe bordering on novelty, but fun. I do really like some Blink 182 songs, but this is just... fun. It's alright.

Cher: I can’t believe I am judging a blink182 song, and it wasn’t submitted by Tammy, and he’s not judging the game either . Wow I don’t even remember the last time I heard this song, it’s been a very long time haha. I did like this song when I was a teenager, and it’s a fun throwback, so there’s that.

David
Janis Ian - At 17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0

Murr: Oh, it's a live version. And the Old Grey Whistle, at that. Old Grey Whistle is legendary - so many great performances. Maybe that will be a theme later, but probably not because it's not "weird" enough. It's a good song... the lyrics are a little cringe-worthy, though. A little uncomfortably self-pitying, yeah? It sounds really nice, though. Honestly, I think I prefer the studio version... has a more jazzy, edging on bossanova, vibe to it. Maybe you were trying to err on the folk side for Cherry's sake, and maybe that will pay off. You lose a point from me, though.

Cher: This is one of those songs where like, I see the title and the artist, and I recognize it...but I can’t actually think of what the song sounds like until it starts. Now it’s starting, YES, THIS IS IT, DEFINITELY KNOW THIS. I kinda like that you picked a live version, shows a lot of emotion in her voice, and her explanation about the song at the beginning was nice. OMG WHAT AM I DOING, PRAISING YOU? INSERT SASS HERE.

RTF
Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8-4tjPxD8

Murr: I don't know why, but I feel a little awkward listening to this. Like, the first notes happen, and I feel like I'm in some trashy bar in Kentucky and some middle aged woman is hitting on me. This would totally be the soundtrack, playing on the jukebox. But this scenario does have a jukebox, which is pretty cool. On its own merit, it's not a bad song. Ladies and gents, enter the '80s.

Cher: Okay so like maybe 5 years ago, I went on a bit of a Fleetwood Mac kick, and then I decided to listen to some solo Stevie too, and I remember downloading this song (aw, back in the days when I used itunes), and obv I had heard it before lol, anyway, listened to it a few times, before I remembered it’s SUPER 80’S SOUNDING AND I HATE 80’S MUSIC. SO, THERE’S THAT. This was another song a couple people wanted to send but you got there first. I don’t know. I mean it’s not TERRIBLE, but it gets really repetitive, and idk, for some reason thinking of going from singing Landslide and Silver Springs (wow, now I wanna listen to Silver Springs) to this is just lulz to me.

Martin
Frank Sinatra -- It Was a Very Good Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHJ3iZpfBRI

Murr: Never been a big fan of Sinatra's voice, but the arrangement here is oddly nice. Is hiding from the light with a small town girl on the village green an elaborate euphemism for sex? Probably. What a dirty way of saying it. Teenagers were so immoral back in the day. I'm liking this more than I thought I would, tbh - even liking his voice right now.

Cher: Yay, last song lol. This felt like so many! This is a nice classic song to end the round on. Can’t really go wrong with Sinatra, smooth as *beep*. Looks like you will be stuck playing another round, Martin

Re: Round One Results!

...sorry that took so long, Murr and I are arguing about redheads lolz.

Anyway, the twist we decided upon was that the winner of each round will receive a Mermicorn card. The cards are all different, and once you receive a card, you may play it any round of your choosing. All Mermicorn cards will expire after the final five.

First place, and winner of the first Mermicorn reward card with a score of 17/20 is Neil! Here is your prize: http://i.imgur.com/4nnnJJ5.jpg

And the rest of the scores:

16.5 Dana!

15.5 Pete! and Martin!

14.5 Tammy and Jesse

13.5 Sunflower and David

13 Thanny

12 Mas, Kathy, and Eric

11 RTF

and with 8 points, Turner, you have been Murrcherliminated. I'm sure this is a surprise to no one, but I am sure you will have some sassy complaint for me anyway <3 thank you for playing!

Murr will be posting your next theme, kids.

...sorry that took so long, Murr and I are arguing about redheads lolz.

And how did that argument end? The redheads won out as the only fit leaders of humanity, yes? #GingerLeague

Martin, you and I will rule the world as Ginger King and Queen <3

And Emer, I asked you to play haha. Maybe you'll join next season.

And Tammy, they are MERMICORNS. Not regular unicorns.

Murr made the card by the way!

Once the cast is complete, I'll do my customary odds of winning breakdown. Hang on to your hats for that one!

Where are my odds, Cow.

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (got the songs - thanks)

MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS - Outright

Old Tom - 2/1

Pete - 3/1

Eric - 5/1

Mas - 7/1

Bull - 10/1

Turner - 12/1

Dana - 14/1

Modica - 16/1

Thanasis - 18/1

RTF - 20/1

Kathy - 40/1

Jesse - 60/1

Martin - 80/1

SweetSunflower - 100/1

Get those bets in now! Minimum bet: $5. Maximum: $100 and you cannot bet on yourself!

Why am I so high up lol?

You're a powerhouse!

ROUND TWO

http://i.imgur.com/HlE0h2h.jpg

Though now largely in hiding, the Mermicorn culture was once thriving; why, it was even the Mermicorns who first welcomed ancient astronauts to our planet from the Bastard Universe, despite their arrival being Uninvited, Like the Clouds. In this storied Heyday, the Mermicorns were a spiritual race, to whom Priest = Aura - an aura creating a Hologram of Baalicorn.

However, during the great war, The Blurred Crusade, the Mermicorn non-people suffered greatly. While they fought Back with Two Beasts, many Mermicorn families hid their very essence in Starfish, to be discovered in some future age. Today, the rise of the Mermicorns is nigh. This round, you will be submitting hymnals for the coming Mermicorn golden age...

Theme Two: The Church

Yeah, so... I always beg and no one sends them, so now you all have to. Suck it. Here's a link with a list by album: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_church I'll also accept Steve Kilbey solo or side projects he has a key role in (if that's too confusing, ignore it and stick with The Church). If you're lazy, here's The Church's top 200 tracks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-qEUtaM16u67bpIOQSpUrUFCHC_Ay7Vl If you choose to send "Under the Milky Way", send a back-up because the odds are I'll be telling you to resend if you don't.

Send your submissions to me, Tomcat Murr. Since we're still in the holiday season, this is another extended deadline: Monday, January 2, at 7pm Eastern.

Future deadlines won't be so long. If you all send earlier, we'll judge earlier.

Re: ROUND TWO

Isn't this man arrogant? Even I've never made THIRTEEN people submit a song by the same band just because I like them xoxo.

People randomly cater to you all the time, though. People randomly send FJM and NMH for you all the time. They never cater to me. So I'm forcing them - in a nice way, not even at gun point.

That's because people are afraid of me. You're just some pretentious guy no one listens to

Speaking of which, why does no one ever send Angels and Airwaves???

I DO I DO but I always get low scores. Hmmmph.

P.S. GREAT submission Eric, you should have been given 10 unicorn cards for that.

AKA GTTT, TDA, and Pikkiwoki, the New Guinean Mud God