Games: Other Games : MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (Final 3 theme posted)

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (results + new theme)

Ummm... Fifth eliminated? Something like that?

"A passionate celibacy is all that any of us can look forward to."

Lol so this is already your best ever finish?! You can win this. I believe in youuu!

#VivaLaBull - Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I really don't know. I nearly made it halfway a couple of times. Maybe I made it over halfway in 70s Idol. And then I Beefhearted my way out, but it was worth it to make the judges listen to him.

Lol I love that. When you submit something you know will probably tank, just to make them listen to it . This has been a challenging game. Pretty sure it'll be my last.

I kinda hoped that Cherry and Tom would carry me through (both of them gave me their highest scores of the round), but I knew it was... well, suicidal, yeah. 😁

And then I Beefhearted my way out

Was that you? Pretty sure I scored the Beefheart submission really high. It was the other judges who tanked it.

I'll read through this discussion and respond to Cohen stuff later.

I am reading this convo and so lost. Lol.

I was looking to see if results happened or something lol

In Trump We Trust

Cherry said that you and her gave it the highest scores of the round, but I still wound up losing.

Comfortably. By something like five points.

I remember this haha. It was very wtftastic.

Taco Coma

Care to walk down memory lane? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcZYOENgcQ

"I'll read through this discussion and respond to Cohen stuff later."

But what about Leonard Cohen? 😟

Where is Tomcat's awesome post about Leonard Cohen, the French cover of Suzanne, Nick Drake, and all? I was just going to post some Nick Drake, now that I caught up on the ice cream thread.

Here, Tomcat, I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcIyPurQDM

I know it's not obscure, but I've loved it ever since I heard it in Dream with the Fishes (1997). If you saved your post to disk, so to speak, please repost it. At least I got to read it and go to the links already.

I'll repost it later. Still need scores from Cherry. I think she's at work now, so hopefully tonight.

Has someone got something against you? Who would have that comment deleted?

Has someone got something against you? Who would have that comment deleted?

Meh. It's an old trolling tactic for serial reporters, for the lulz and to boost the reporting reputation for all of their accounts. Waste of time, but clearly amuses some people. Cherry and I have results/etc backed-up, anyway. So it just makes it look like I post less than I really do and is otherwise inconsequential, which I'm fine with. I don't assume it's all that personal, though.

Abbreviated version of my deleted rant...

Martin, you don't like Leonard Cohen? For shame.

Female folk singers of the era who are a good bridge between Perhacs/Bunyan and the more manly Cohen: Nico, Bridget St. John. Worth checking out.

The era had some softer guy folk singers, of whom Nick Drake is probably the most notable, but also one of my favorites.

Francoise Hardy's cover of "Suzanne" - I'm not saying it's as good as Cohen's, but very different. Feels less narrative, more like ideas popping directly into your head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEJiFq6mTc

Weird '70s band with one of the weirdest albums of the '70s, but with some nice dreamy/ambient folk moments... Sand! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_ALkVZJwg

Lots of great chanson/cabaret/poezja spiewana singers of the era - different style, but a similar dreamy, ethereal quality to Perhacs et al. My personal favorite (of that era, at least), Ewa Demarczyk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0_DuiVogqU

I mentioned Mandu earlier, but if you search for him, a bunch of food comes up. More in the Van Morrison/Buckley vein than pure folk, but brilliant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1LgLQofzk

I don't understand. Literally what is the point in having random posts deleted? Do you think it's somebody on this board? I've never seen this happen til now.

I've got the flu right now and a little while ago I was delirious (I thought I had to recover before inauguration day or I'd pull a William Henry Harrison), but I listened to those a little bit. I could give thoughts, but no, my head just told me to get back to sleep because I am literally misspelling every other word.

"Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (results + new theme)
by TomcatMurr » 42 seconds ago (Wed Jan 18 2017 15:23:47)
IMDb member since July 2009

I'll repost it later. Still need scores from Cherry. I think she's at work now, so hopefully tonight."

Cool. Sorry you have a troll, TcM, but all the cool kids have one. 😏

Cool. Sorry you have a troll, TcM, but all the cool kids have one.

I'm used to it, due to my IMDb roots, obviously. I just can't imagine why someone is wasting their time doing it on this board, which has less drama to gain from it.

"I'm used to it, due to my IMDb roots, obviously. I just can't imagine why someone is wasting their time doing it on this board, which has less drama to gain from it."

You are preaching to the choir, my beautiful, beautiful friend. One could posit: they are lacking in such abilities as you possess to comprehend anything and everything, therefore they troll.

You are preaching to the choir, my beautiful, beautiful friend. One could posit: they are lacking in such abilities as you possess to comprehend anything and everything, therefore they troll.

Trolling is fine. It's IMDb, after all. I just feel like it would get a bigger reaction from other boards. Whoever's doing it needs to step up their game.

I don't understand. Literally what is the point in having random posts deleted? Do you think it's somebody on this board? I've never seen this happen til now.

Meh. It happened to Misty during her last MTM Idol. Her entire game thread got deleted right before the finals. Happened to me about a year ago, until I got an admin involved, using our sacred bro-bond as Pumpkins fans - he restored my posts and coincidentally a bunch of other accounts were deactivated at the same time. <3 Not a big deal. Again, we have results backed-up, so posts being deleted isn't a huge concern.

Lol so much drama in that Survivor game tonight, it's gone craaaaazy.

Neii why are you stiring up so much trouble?

I'm not stirring up anything. I'm stating a fact, IDIOT. Now go away.

Why are you talking about that game on this thread?

Because when I talk about it on the game thread, people yell at me.... I didn't mention names, Ii didn't insult anybody. I simpyl said it was going off. Nothing more. Piss off, Turner and go bug RTF.

MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS - Outright

Old Tom - 2/1

Pete - 3/1

Eric - 5/1

Mas - 7/1

Bull - 10/1

Turner - 12/1

Dana - 14/1

Modica - 16/1

Thanasis - 18/1

RTF - 20/1

Kathy - 40/1

Jesse - 60/1

Martin - 80/1

SweetSunflower - 100/1

Not too bad so far. 4 of my top 5 are still alive and kicking! Pete is looking a strong contender holding two of the unicorn cards.

It's interesting... this game has been the curse of the evens. So far, only those who signed up corresponding to even numbers have been eliminated.

Tom is the last even sign-up standing. Can he break the curse? Find out next time on MURRCHER IDOL!

Hahaha nice spot! I AM NUMBER 1 AND PLAN TO STAY THERE!!!

Dude, you were only #1 once, like me. Please. And if we did the math on all scores I have a higher average than you. Lose the arrogance.

As for this double theme, I may leave on this one. I don't know any good songs about "Mythical creatures"

In Trump We Trust

Lmao you have no sense of humour. I'm clearly joking. I don't care if I go next or win. My days of caring about idol games are over.

I just don't get yours ... but I agree with you.

In Trump We Trust

If anyone wants help on a theme, I could maybe think some stuff up. Free of charge. I'd have to sign an agreement not to speak with the hosts until the game is over, but since I like the themes (more specifically, Murr's themes ), I'd be happy to participate vicariously.

And if we did the math on all scores I have a higher average than you. Lose the arrogance.

Neil - 17, 16, 14.5, 12.5, 15.5, 23 = 98.5
Jesse - 14.5, 18.5, 8, 16.5, 17, 23.5 = 98

Wrong as usual . Just saying. You should be sure you know the facts before you try to make a point lol. Oh it really is a TITANIC battle between good and evil!!

Lmao kidding. You've done better overall, just that one round tanked your score. Anyway lets not fight. We agree we both don't care when we leave.

Tom is the last even sign-up standing. Can he break the curse? Find out next time on MURRCHER IDOL!

I didn't sign up though. I just like sending songs to you and Cerise sometimes, and I guess you thought they were for this game or something.

AKA GTTT, TDA, and Pikkiwoki, the New Guinean Mud God

MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS - Outright

Old Tom - 2/1

Pete - 3/1

Eric - 5/1

Mas - 7/1

Bull - 10/1

Turner - 12/1

Dana - 14/1

Modica - 16/1

Thanasis - 18/1

RTF - 20/1

Kathy - 40/1

Jesse - 60/1

Martin - 80/1

SweetSunflower - 100/1

Not bad, not bad at all. 3 of the top 5 in the top 5! Yeahhh baby! I will be so smug if the old men are the F2 . I'm satisfied if I go now. These themes are way hard.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

Whoever wins this game, it seems, will be the last Idol game winner in IMDb history. Looks like the apocalyptic nature of my Mermicorn story is coming true...

So, everyone - step up your game, because the battle is ON!

I'm saddened by this

I still want to talk about obscure folk music with you, Murr! You promised!

Guess this means a migration to Forumotion. Or IMDb has been hacked by Russia.

Murr sent me the songs. T.ears at no one sending Conor or Father John Misty, two artists I like who have songs that would fit these two themes I'm not overly excited about.

At once I knew I was not magnificent

Re: MURRCHER IDOL 2: AGE OF THE MERMICORNS (have songs, results tonight)

"have songs, results tonight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veUKfoa5hIg

Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7aQ1qkCITU

30 Rock: "Imma make you a mix tape. You like Phil Collins?"...

Round Nine Results

Neil used his Mermicorn card to steal Cat's in the Cradle from Jesse, so now all of the mermicorn cards have been used or LEFT WITH THEIR OWNER (Martin <3)

Family

Sunflower
Paul Simon - Mother and Child Reunion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BUsDf0dxY

Murr: I used to hate Paul Simon until I actually listened to him. Listening to musicians often ruins everything... you have this idea in your head, then it destroys everything, for better or worse. Plus, I love songs that have these nuanced takes on death. Lovely song.

Cher: I only know a handful of Paul solo songs, and this isn’t one of them. Wtf though, why is this reggae? Lol I do not think reggae when I hear Paul Simon. And t.ears, I kinda hate reggae. So...not really enjoying this, sorry. It does fit the theme though.

Jesse
Sly & The Family Stone - A Family Affair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiRhzTsSnk

Murr: Has an oddly modern sound, really. Sounds like a lot late '90s/early '00s neo-soul/rap. Ahead of its time? If a nostalgic trend consciously apes an old style for the sake of nostalgia, does that make the old style ahead of its time? Cool song. Funky, but kind of laid back and flowing. Lyrically better than would be expected.

Cher: There weren’t really any specific songs I had in mind when I picked this theme, I was honestly just being a dork and playing with my mermicorn toys and thinking of them as sisters. None of these are songs I would have expected though, I kinda forgot this song existed actually. It’s kinda cool though, I like the funk music.

Pete
Chicory Tip - Son of my Father
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbrS3Msgww

Murr: Just the chicory tip, baby... I was just right now curious and looked up their name. Apparently this Inka-like coffee substitute. That's cool. I love Inka. Apparently the Scottish called it "Camp Coffee", though... sort of a fitting connection given Chicory Tip's era. Time is round and space is curved, folks... it's all connected. OM. Kind of bubblegum, but cool riff... has a trebly, honky fuzz sound - maybe a Tonebender? Such a T. Rex-ish groove. Epic keyboard solo... cheesy, but so good.

Cher: Pete, my love, I am REALLY SICK OF YOUR SEXY BRITISH ASS SENDING ME VIDEOS THAT AREN’T AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY. Never heard this song before. What’s with all the 70’s music, guys? DID I ACCIDENTALLY ALSO SAY YOUR FAMILY SONG HAD TO BE FROM THAT DECADE? This is fun.

Dana
Night Rangers - Sister Christian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVey-358Vcc

Murr: The only one to say "okay"? It's true. In my mind, I hate this song. But it's been years since I've listened to it, so let's see how reality holds up. Actually, this isn't horrible for what it is. Such a cheesy, synth-pad infused song - it's funny how small the distinction is between different genres. A slightly different arrangement can change it all. lolz at the screen just flashing, "solo!" Are these the real lyrics? idk. This isn't bad, actually. So, eh.

Cher: Gross, 80’s I don’t mind rock power ballads though. I don’t think Murr is a fan though, haha. Anyway...also not what I was expecting, but this is okay for a listen. Seems like a fun song to sing along to when you’re drunk.

Tammy
The National - Afraid Of Everyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yskRDrmqI

Murr: "I don't have the drugs to sort it out". Lolz, such is life, right? This sounds oddly like an REM song, albeit with a very different singer. And Mr. Berninger is no Mr. Stipe. OK, when this starts just going into chaos, it's beautiful. Don't think I've listened to this since it came out, and I don't remember this part at all. Anyway, nice pick.

Cher: Amg a modern song, how did you sneak in with this? Haha. Not really one of my favorite The National songs, but I mean...so far it’s the best one of the round and the only one that I would listen to outside of judging idol games. My own personal spin off of this song would be called I Hate Everyone.

Neil
Harry Chapin - Cat's in the Cradle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSwL9deXNW8

Murr: lolz @ the picture of Cat Stevens. Is he the Cat in the cradle??? Anyway, yeah... father and son, never enough time for each other, whatwith work and crap, blah blah blah. idk. I've always found this song kind of dull, albeit the chorus is sung in a rather melodramatic fashion. Not bad, but just not something I'm all that into.

Cher: This is probably the “safest” choice of the round, but it also probably fits the theme the best, the song is clearly about the relationship between the father and son, and it spans through their lives, showing how they change how they treat each other, never get their timing right. I kinda prefer Johnny Cash’s cover to the original though, but this is still good.

Gambling

Sunflower
Lady Gaga - Poker Face (Live at Orange Rockcorps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40pTk7HMYFw

Murr: She looks like a drunken mess crawling on that piano. Oh god, I'm worried... So, I kind of hate Lady Gaga. And, I kind of hate this song. So, the amusement of her being a drunken mess might actually help this. It's funny... this was so many years ago now, and it's like she kinda wanted to be Peaches or Santigold, but just couldn't pull it off. Meh, I guess it worked out for her, commercially. Anyway... funny enough, the mess actually does help a little bit. At least gives it some energy, however contrived, rather than just boring me. Still sounds like a mess, though.

Cher: I’m not a Gaga fan, but I do kinda like this song. I wish you hadn’t picked a live version. Some songs can be enhanced by live versions, especially if it’s like acoustic or something, but for this it’s just about the theatricality, which is not something I particularly care about. The song itself sounds better in the studio version.

Jesse
Memphis Minnie - Gambling Woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzJXcf6LxRY

Murr: This is kind of fantastic. I think last season I was gonna do a 1930s theme, but never got around to it. Maybe this season. idk. Her voice is incredible... such emotion, such sneer. The little interlude is awesome... just this drone while the bass does its thing, such a weird - but awesome - *feeling* listening to it. Yeah, this is pretty great.

Cher: I am going to start by saying that I love the name Memphis Minnie, that’s so cute lol. Also, I kind of love that it says this song is off an album called “Vintage Gambling Songs” like wtf, that’s a thing? Amazing. This is like reallyyyyy old, from the 40’s would be my guess, but I’m too lazy to actually look. Anyway, I like her voice, and just the overall feel of the song is cool, gambling back in the day seems more exciting than gambling now. Great choice.

Pete
Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPutYaGFlE

Murr: Hey, Pete. Didn't you send this last season? Or was that in '50s idol? I forget. Anyway, obviously a fantastic song. Funny enough, Stagger Lee is one of the most enduring characters in popular music, given a life of his own in tons of other songs. Obviously tons of variations/renditions/recordings of this very song, but it's even mutated... I think I had Cherry listen to The Felice Brothers' "Dream On", and she pointed out "that guy from Pete's song" was in it, which for some reason had never clicked with me, and since then I've found like a dozen songs that mention him (that aren't actually renditions of *this* song), as a retelling of story or putting him into a new story. Stagger Lee is basically popular music folklore... that's pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uub_I_cyBb4 <-- the life of Stagger Lee, in song. Anyway, fantastic song... and a great version of it.

Cher: Lolzzz didn’t you send this song last season for the murder theme? Get some new songs, Pete! But...dammit, I love this song lmao. It’s so fun! It shouldn’t be, it’s about killing a guy or something, OVER A HAT, but it’s so upbeat and charming, it’s amazing.

Dana
Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E

Murr: I loved this when I was a kid. The chorus just has such a cool groove. Not the greatest song of all time, but it is fun. idk what to say beyond that. Hopefully Cherry rambles more than me on this one so we can reach our text requirement. Nope, we both suck.

Cher: I love how this round produced so many old songs, for both themes. This is a fun one too, I haven’t heard this one in a long time.

Tammy
Leonard Cohen - The Stranger Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3HTvlDFbm4

Murr: This song is amazing. Every verse ends with such a poignant line, like "he was just some Joseph looking for a manger". Like... wtf? Such a fantastic line. Hell, every line in this is fantastic... "and as he talks his dreams to sleep, you notice there's a highway..." "It's you, my love - you are the stranger". There's this beautiful sense of putrid rot to this song. Something so arcane about it... like this magic, lulling you. Which fits the song... being lulled to your destruction by this "stranger". I love how his (the stranger's) weakness and insecurity are pointed out, are so noted, but in a way that it seems almost like a sleight of hand in context, or like her own projection. idk, rambling. Amazing song. Musically I love how it just rambles on... eventually it just sounds like this mess of sound. Brilliant.

Cher: Leonard <3 His voice is just so, like, intoxicating. I like this song, “I told you when I came I was a stranger” <3

Neil
Radiohead - House of Cards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRU0R1ny90

Murr: I hated "In Rainbows" so much when it came out, and though I like it a little more these days, I've never quite gotten into it. Let's see how this goes... It's actually not bad. Pretty arrangement (love the reverb-drenched noise), Thom's voice is beautiful as usual... Actually one of the better songs on the album, and I'm definitely enjoying it well enough. Just seems to be missing a little something - some movement that could bring it from good to great. idk. It's good, though.

Cher: I feel like I have been judging a lot of Radiohead in games lately, but I still never listen to them on my own. This is decent. Sorry for short comments, long day.

Re: Round Nine Results

Scores!

15 + 19 = 34 Tammy!

14 + 18 = 32 Pete!

14 + 17 = 31 Jesse!

13.5 + 15 = 28.5 Neil

12 + 16 = 28 Dana

MURRCHERLIMINATED: 14 + 9.5 = 23.5 Sunflower Thank you so much for playing, you seemed like a very strong contender in the beginning, but you fell short this round. Thank you for playing, it's always great to see some fresh blood in these games.

Congrats, final five! Murr will be posting your next themes.

"you seemed like a very strong contender in the beginning, but you fell short this round"

That's not at all an honest assessment considering Murr gave me a 14, the second to highest score he gave out in the round and you tanked me with a 9.5.

I'm not really surprised about your lack of honesty considering you PMed me to call the person who was harassing me my "buddy". That was beyond the pale, even for you. Bye.

...what?

I am realizing something...I think you are confused on how we do scoring. The scores in the parentheses are not mine and Murr's...the first number is the total score for your first song and the second number is your total score for the second song. I would apologize for being confusing but like...I have no idea how you jumped to that conclusion. I thought it would be obvious since when there was only one song per round there was only one numeric score per person. Even if you did think that one number was mine and one was his, I don't know why you would just automatically assume his were the first one listed.

You got a 14 on your first song and a 9.5 on your second song...and if you must know, 13 of your points came from me, and only 10.5 came from Murr. And when I called Ben "your buddy" I was obviously being sarcastic.

I am a lot of things, but dishonest is not one of them. Most people consider me brutally honest.

Kathy is brutally honest. Neil is brutally honest. You're one of the fakest people on IMDb boards.

There are no parentheses. You must be confused. Enjoy talking to yourself.

You're right, I didn't put them in parentheses, sorry. Are you honestly THAT stupid though? I will break it down very, very slowly. When I wrote 14 + 9.5 = 23.5 IT. DID. NOT. MEAN. YOU. GOT. 14. POINTS. FROM. MURR. AND. 9.5. FROM. ME. IT. MEANT. THAT. YOUR. TOTAL. SCORE. FOR. YOUR. FIRST. SONG. WAS. 14. POINTS. AND. YOUR. TOTAL. SCORE. FOR. YOUR. SECOND. SONG. WAS. 9.5. POINTS.

As I pointed out, I actually scored you higher than he did. I didn't say that for you to jump on him and harass him though, I said it because you are a delusional cünt and I didn't want to deal with your delusions anymore. There's some more brutal honesty for you. Anyway, don't let the door hit you on your way out. I tried being nice, but you are just a petty, bitter woman.

You gonna send me another PM entitled "girl wtf" now and talk more about how a full-on cyber stalker who you kept feeding to keep here is my "buddy"? Such a harassing creep and a phony, you are.

...I sent you that pm a week and a half ago, because we had been very friendly up until that point and you randomly spazzed out at me on here. Unless I am forgetting something, that was the last time I pmed you, so I don't know why you keep referencing it.

And please, I did not "feed" him to keep him here. I replied to a couple of his posts, DEFENDING YOU, sassed him once or twice on my own, then just ignored him. Feeding him would be replying to all of his posts, trashing you, begging him for more, etc.

Anyway, you got Murrcherliminated, go find a new thread where you're wanted. Bai.

I didn't "spazz", you were a nasty piece of work, so I posted a word definition and a funny joke, ending in "don't get it twisted, sister," to answer your incredibly obnoxious post to me.

Don't you have some trolls to go feed? No? You mean only the one who is trying to make trouble for me, who you keep replying to no matter what I say to you privately?

Look, lady, I'm not buying anything you're selling, and I don't want in on your creepy little Reindeer Games; Neil's got you pegged on that score. So maybe if you didn't want to hear back from me, you should've taken a hint when I posted "Bye" before your last 3 replies.

It's very clear that you have no idea what to do with yourself when you don't have this petty little bit of leverage over people, but I'm not playing any of your games anymore, so figure it out.