Special and Visual Effects : Elysium's VFX Oscar to lose in 2014?

Elysium's VFX Oscar to lose in 2014?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILNSgou5BY

With all due respect to those who contributed to films like 'Iron Man 3', 'Man of Steel', 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and 'Pacific Rim'--I got a feeling that 'Elysium' will be taking home the Oscar for best VFX in a motion picture. I don't really care about the Oscars, but I do tend to make exceptions for the technical categories since those aren't based around a popularity contest. There's actually people who work in those fields that do the voting.

Anyway, I know that there will be fans of those films I listed above that will state their reasons why they should be nominated and win. However, 'Elysium' looks just as big and vast in terms of spectacle as those films--but it not only looks much more photorealistic--but it was done on a budget of about $100-$110 million less than those films. And that will come into the equation come voting season since there's a whole lot of complexity to pulling off all this high level imagery.

I have a pretty good feeling that Neill Blomkamp is the next James Cameron when it comes to pushing the tools of CGI.

Re: Elysium's VFX Oscar to lose in 2014?

Wow it wasn't even nominated.