Goodnight Mommy : Was it Supposed to Be a Twist? *SPOILERS*

Was it Supposed to Be a Twist? *SPOILERS*

From the very first moment the mother and boys interacted I knew one of the boys wasn't real. The mother gave the one boy a drink and refused to give the other boy anything. I knew no mother could ever do that to a child and immediately said to myself, 'that boy is only in the other boy's mind.' After that, I was alert to every scene which reinforced this notion, and there were many. The rest of the film seemed to be a dull journey to bring me, the viewer, to a destination I had already arrived at long ago.

The clues were so obvious, though, that it left me wondering if it was supposed to be a twist at all. Won't every viewer see this coming from a mile away, I wondered? What do you think?

Re: Was it Supposed to Be a Twist? *SPOILERS*

There's been a lot of discussion surrounding this issue for a while now. Personally, I think that if this movie has a "twist" at all, it's certainly not that "one of the kids is dead" (like you said, throughout the movie there are plenty of hints), but rather, the twist is that this is a "realistic" story, there is no possession or aliens or demons or anything of the sort.

It's just a normal, sad story.

Fine, fine, I'll leave! But first I'm going to bother these peanuts! Hmm? Yes? Hmm? HMM?

I figured it out in the beginning as well. Pretty sure that wasnt supposed to happen. Had a negative impact on my viewing pleasure as well. Was really looking forward to this film. Knowing the twist so early on takes away from the mystery and eeriness of the mother. Because you already know the boy is the one with he issues. So I never really thought the mother was evil and I sympathised with her from the beginning because I knew she lost a son. Whereas, if you dont know the twist I can imagine thinking the mother is evil and that view will start to gradually change building up to the 'reveal'.

Anyway the torture scene was brilliant but the mystery was gone for me.

The synopsis for this film starts with "Twin brothers".
So I personally wouldn't believe the makers if they stated that it's supposed to be obvious.

I also knew in the first dialog scene with the mother that Lucas was dead. Wondering whether this was intentional or just bad filmmaking distracted me from the film itself.

I did not enjoy this film at all.
Also, the mother faking her own beauty mark on her face was a weak way of trying to confuse the viewer.

Also, the mother faking her own beauty mark on her face was a weak way of trying to confuse the viewer.

Umm... what? How was that trying to confuse the viewers in any way? The boy(s) asked her a question, and she gave a very plausible answer.

The mother wanted to do the surgery, but that meant she had to remove the mole, even if she WANTED to keep it, so what's so unnatural to keep drawing the mole afterwards?

She worked for the TV and probably wanted to keep her "characteristic" looks, not to mention that without her trademark mole people would know that she had surgery.

Fine, fine, I'll leave! But first I'm going to bother these peanuts! Hmm? Yes? Hmm? HMM?

What makes the mole fishy aren't the many plausible explanations for redrawing it; it's the fact that she was drawing it on when she was doing nothing but resting at home, with no one else around but her sons. She wasn't going to work and they had no visitors. She spent most of her time in lounge clothes without a scrap of other makeup on. Other than for the purposes of self-image/-esteem (possible identity issues post-surgery, etc.), she had no reason to fake the mole during this time.

It may be a misdirect, but it's a good one.

I thought she also wanted to make him believe that it's really his mother, by trying to make herself look the same as before the surgery.

I Sympathize with Lars Von Trier.

Just watching this right now and right from their second interaction with the food, I knew Lukas wasn't real. Every scene after, seems to support that like the toothbrush. They would've had 2, instead of sharing 1.

Global Warming, it's a personal decision innit? - Nigel Tufnel

From the very first moment the mother and boys interacted I knew one of the boys wasn't real. The mother gave the one boy a drink and refused to give the other boy anything.
I'm not the best at catching twist and surprises in movies, but this one was obvious from the start.

Yeah I figured out that Lukas was a ghost five minutes into the film: the way Elias kept chasing after him in the fields, caves and lake, and Lukas always disappearing while Eli called his name repeatedly! Even before their mother doesn't acknowledge Lukas, it's quite obvious. The real mystery was whether or not this mystery woman was their mother. Lukas was obviously the Alpha twin, and Eli depended on him so much...add the whole twin factor and separation anxiety even in death. I don't think Lukas was a figment of Eli's imagination but a ghost who lingered to take care of his twin after his own murky demise (was it in the same car accident as their mother as I assumed?), and I don't think Eli burned to death in the end, but was reunited with his mother's spirit as well as Lukas's after running for cover into the cornfields post-haze!

I am always impressed when people say they saw something coming or predicted a twist ending because I can't recall that I have ever guessed the ending of a film and I am a huge horror/thriller/mystery movie fan.

It seems to me that whenever people think or have heard that a film has a twist ending, they try to work it out. When I watch a film, I am very engrossed, it never crosses my mind to think "Oh, let's figure out the ending." It's almost as if being in a trance. I identify with the characters and am almost not present in my own body. I suspend my disbelief to a point where I accept everything that is happening in the film as my own experience and thus never try to work the ending out.

In this case, I assumed that there was in fact something wrong with the mother and that the boy she did not acknowledge was being punished and therefore ignored by her.

I can honestly say I went into this film blind. I only saw the trailer. I didn't read up on the movie or anything like that before watching it. I just thought I was going to watch a creepy horror flick about a mother in bandages whose sons don't think she's their mother.

That said, I have watched lots of movies in my life. This was billed as a horror movie so when the mother did not provide food to one of her sons and responded with, "You know why," when questioned why she didn't bring food for Lukas, I immediately knew one twin was dead. It was very obvious to me, so I moved on thinking there might have been a second "twist" w/the mother, but her creepiness factor tanked once she took off her bandages. At that point, I didn't know where the movie was headed, and I must say I was not enjoying the mystery.

I think it was supposed to be a twist, but I certainly don't think it spoilt the movie that it was obvious. Surely the film's real drama and tension came from the relationship between Elias and his mother?

I mean, take the dead brother out of the picture and you've still got a gripping film about a son who, plagued with tragedy, guilt or psychological damage, has tortured his own mother due to his fractured mental state. That alone makes the film a success for me.

I really don't think the brother being a figment of Elias' imagination was the main point, and I think if you spent the large majority of the film wondering about it as a twist then maybe it detracted from how you felt about the other plotlines?

I'm so glad I didn't catch on to the twist. I think it would have ruined the experience. I didn't figure it out until Elias had Mom tied in the bed and kept calling for Lukas and Lukas wasn't coming right alway. Then it all started adding up.

I don't usually guess correctly, but, yeah, I figured out the twist really early on. I wasn't looking for a twist, but they didn't hide it that well. I still enjoyed the film though.

I usually guess twists. This time however I did not. I thought the mother was an imposter that just didn't like lucas and thus she was the way she was towards him. When they officially revealed it I understood the twist though

I quite often miss twists, but it was obvious to me when only Elias was given a drink, that the other brother was dead. So what followed was meaningless. Bad film. Tedious as well.

I thought it was so obvious that it was never even supposed to be a twist. As a result, though, I think I saw an entirely different premise than most other commenters on this board:

It's the story of a woman trying to survive her son's spiral into madness.

Once I saw that they weren't being subtle about the "Lukas isn't real" thing, I just tuned out any expectation of an "M. Night" ending and started focusing on the suspense around the mom's survival.